Movie cup 2017

All competitions - pit your wits against the rest :)

Re: Movie cup 2017

Postby rich1uk » Sat May 06, 2017 11:43 pm

None of these can now be used for the final week's theme, choose welll and good luck

Week One

28 Days Later
World War Z
Night of the living dead 1978
Shaun of the dead
zombieland
dawn of the dead
Bad Taste
I am legend

Week Two

The Spy who came in from the Cold
The Third Man
Austin Powers
the bourne identity
tinker tailor soldier spy
spy
the lives of others
the bourne ultimatum

Week Three

The Killing Fields
goodfellas
schindlers list
all the presidents men
dog day afternoon
the wolf of wall street
apocalypse now
hotel rwanda

Week Four

Fargo
star trek 2009
the naked gun
MASH
Billy Liar
21 Jump Street
Entourage
Blade

Week Five

Up
Curse of the Were-rabbit
Lion King
Jungle book
Toy Story
akira
finding dory
the fabulous mr fox

Week Six

Guardians of the Galaxy
Superman(1978)
Batman(1966)
The Dark Knight
Watchmen
Blade
Kick Ass

Week Seven

Jaws
Dont Look Now
28 Days Later
The Shining
friday the 13th
The Exorcist
Let the right one in
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby GarlicJam » Sun May 07, 2017 12:03 am

rich1uk wrote:1st - The Shining chosen by GG

Sussex predicted it, but I thought that The Exorcist would run away with this one. Wrong.

Maybe my view of The Shining was skewed by having read the book (which was altered a fair bit for the screenplay) 3 or 4 times before having seen the movie.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 07, 2017 12:21 am

Voted for GJ again, then Sussex.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun May 07, 2017 1:48 am

I knew I had you with me on this one, AC - only I thought everyone would vote for it.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby rich1uk » Sun May 07, 2017 1:56 am

GarlicJam wrote:
rich1uk wrote:1st - The Shining chosen by GG

Sussex predicted it, but I thought that The Exorcist would run away with this one. Wrong.

Maybe my view of The Shining was skewed by having read the book (which was altered a fair bit for the screenplay) 3 or 4 times before having seen the movie.

i'm kinda the same with the Exorcist, the books aren't what you would expect and the film misses alot of the personal conflict of the priest imo

silly piece of trivia but the Exorcist II isn't the real sequel to the original, it isn't based on the second book which was made as The Exorcist III. Blatty refused to have anything to do with the second movie but was brought back in for the 3rd one, not that it helped much, the 3rd movie sucked too

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby GarlicJam » Sun May 07, 2017 2:00 am

going back a long time in my memory here, but I had the idea that there were parts of the third that were on a par with the first - but only parts.

The second is virtually gone from my memory.

I only read the The Exorcist well after seeing the movie. As a teenager, I would have read the first dozen or so of King's books. Most more than once. The Shining is definitely one of his best 2 or 3 all up. Definitely the best horror story I have ever read, he encapsulated the idea of pure evil very well.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 07, 2017 2:04 am

Ringu was a superb horror, and very influential.

My back up was Nosferatu, the silent version, and I think that and Herzog's remake are the two best vampire films.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Sun May 07, 2017 2:07 am

i was the same with King, got fed up with him around the time of Gerald's Game and Insomnia, felt he had just run out of ideas by then and was just milking his name

more silly trivia, its amazing how many people dont know the movies Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me were based on Stephen King short stories and both from the same book

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby GarlicJam » Sun May 07, 2017 4:11 am

rich1uk wrote:i was the same with King, got fed up with him around the time of Gerald's Game and Insomnia, felt he had just run out of ideas by then and was just milking his name

more silly trivia, its amazing how many people dont know the movies Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me were based on Stephen King short stories and both from the same book

(maybe a Mod can move this to the book thread? - I don't mind, either way)
Some of his novellas are amongst his best work, imo. It is often when he stepped away from the Horro genre. The Body and Rita Hayworth (and tSSR) and the ones in The Bachman Books most notably.

The first two in tBB really struck me when I read (red AND reed) them. Rage was something I had read a few times before hearing Nick Cave's O'Malley's Bar. One is just the adult version of the other.

The Long Walk was a concept that blew me away. Decades before The Hunger Games, and far more an introspective look at a regimented dystopia. The last in this collection (The Running Man), dealt with the much more physical aspects of this.

Proper novels of his I rated include The Stand, The Deadzone and The Talisman, which he co-wrote with Peter Straub. None of them were horror.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby braveneutral » Sun May 07, 2017 12:05 pm

Seeing as I have just seen this I imagine my choice is gone already!
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun May 07, 2017 1:00 pm

A very wide choice is ahead of you.

From any movie that you have EVER seen...
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby braveneutral » Sun May 07, 2017 1:19 pm

GarlicJam wrote:A very wide choice is ahead of you.

From any movie that you have EVER seen...

I've only ever seen 4.3 movies.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby rich1uk » Wed May 10, 2017 4:02 am

Nominations for the final week's theme are as follows

Option 1 - Back to the Future

Back to the Future is a 1985 American science-fiction adventure comedy film[5] directed by Robert Zemeckis and written by Zemeckis and Bob Gale. It stars Michael J. Fox as teenager Marty McFly, who is sent back in time to 1955, where he meets his future parents in high school and accidentally becomes his mother's romantic interest. Christopher Lloyd portrays the eccentric scientist Dr. Emmett "Doc" Brown, Marty's friend who helps him repair the damage to history by helping Marty cause his parents to fall in love. Marty and Doc must also find a way to return Marty to 1985.

Zemeckis and Gale wrote the script after Gale mused upon whether he would have befriended his father if they had attended school together. Various film studios rejected the script until the financial success of Zemeckis' Romancing the Stone. Zemeckis approached Steven Spielberg, who agreed to produce the project at Amblin Entertainment, with Universal Pictures as distributor. The first choice for the role of Marty McFly was Michael J. Fox. However, he was busy filming his television series Family Ties and the show's producers would not allow him to star in the film. Consequently, Eric Stoltz was cast in the role. During filming, Stoltz and the filmmakers decided that the role was miscast, and Fox was again approached for the part. Now with more flexibility in his schedule and the blessing of his show's producers, Fox managed to work out a timetable in which he could give enough time and commitment to both.

Back to the Future was released on July 3, 1985, grossing over $381 million worldwide, becoming the highest-grossing film of 1985. It won the Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation, the Saturn Award for Best Science Fiction Film, and the Academy Award for Best Sound Effects Editing, as well as receiving three additional Academy Award nominations, five BAFTA nominations, and four Golden Globe nominations, including Best Motion Picture (Musical or Comedy). Ronald Reagan even quoted the film in his 1986 State of the Union Address.[6][7] In 2007, the Library of Congress selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry, and in June 2008 the American Film Institute's special AFI's 10 Top 10 designated the film as the 10th-best film in the science fiction genre. The film marked the beginning of a franchise, with two sequels, Back to the Future Part II (1989) and Back to the Future Part III (1990), as well as an animated series, theme park ride, several video games and a forthcoming musical.

Trailer

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby rich1uk » Wed May 10, 2017 4:04 am

Option 2 - Full Metal Jacket

Full Metal Jacket is a 1987 British-American war film directed and produced by Stanley Kubrick. The screenplay by Kubrick, Michael Herr, and Gustav Hasford was based on Hasford's novel The Short-Timers (1979). The film stars Matthew Modine, Adam Baldwin, Vincent D'Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey, Dorian Harewood, Arliss Howard, Kevyn Major Howard, and Ed O'Ross. Its storyline follows a platoon of U.S. Marines through their training and the experiences of two of the platoon's Marines in the Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War. The film's title refers to the full metal jacket bullet used by soldiers. The film was released in the United States on June 26, 1987.

Full Metal Jacket received critical acclaim and an Academy Award nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay for Kubrick, Herr, and Hasford.[4] In 2001, the American Film Institute placed it at No. 95 in their "AFI's 100 Years...100 Thrills" poll.[5]

Trailer

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

Postby rich1uk » Wed May 10, 2017 4:05 am

Option 3 - The Godfather

The Godfather is a 1972 American crime film directed by Francis Ford Coppola and produced by Albert S. Ruddy, based on Mario Puzo's best-selling novel of the same name. It stars Marlon Brando and Al Pacino as the leaders of a fictional New York crime family. The story, spanning 1945 to 1955, chronicles the family under the patriarch Vito Corleone, focusing on the transformation of Michael Corleone (Pacino) from reluctant family outsider to ruthless mafia boss.

Paramount Pictures obtained the rights to the novel for the price of $80,000, before it gained popularity. Studio executives had trouble finding a director; their first few candidates turned down the position. They and Coppola disagreed over who would play several characters, in particular, Vito and Michael. Filming was done on location and completed earlier than scheduled. The musical score was composed primarily by Nino Rota with additional pieces by Carmine Coppola.

The film was the highest-grossing film of 1972 and was for a time the highest-grossing film ever made. It won the Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor (Brando) and Best Adapted Screenplay (for Puzo and Coppola). Its seven other Oscar nominations included Pacino, James Caan, and Robert Duvall for Best Supporting Actor and Coppola for Best Director. It was followed by sequels The Godfather Part II (1974) and The Godfather Part III (1990).

The Godfather is widely regarded as one of the greatest films in world cinema and one of the most influential, especially in the gangster genre. It was selected for preservation in the U.S. National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 1990, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant" and is ranked the second-greatest film in American cinema (behind Citizen Kane) by the American Film Institute.

Trailer

2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
rich1uk

PreviousNext

Return to The Games Room