Who Am I?

All competitions - pit your wits against the rest :)

Re: Who Am I?

Postby sussexpob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm

As far as I am aware, India won in 71 with my last guess. In 2007 I think they won under Dhoni, but hes definately from the NE ....

Got to be Dev who won in 86?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Bingo!
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:14 pm

1. I am responsible for cricketing prodigy Gary Neville choosing football, as we shared a massive stand opening the batting in a lancs league game in 1992, making the paper and altering coaches at United to the fact he was playing cricket in the summer, and ending with a contract being thrown at him to commit to football over cricket
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:37 pm

Flintoff?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Red Devil » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:28 am

sussexpob wrote:1. I am responsible for cricketing prodigy Gary Neville choosing football, as we shared a massive stand opening the batting in a lancs league game in 1992, making the paper and altering coaches at United to the fact he was playing cricket in the summer, and ending with a contract being thrown at him to commit to football over cricket

I thought that was Phil Neville? Either way, I won't ruin the game this early other than to say he may not be a lancastrian :D
FL Titles
2008 Ban v NZ ODIs India v Aus Tests India v Eng ODIs
2009 NZ v WI Tests NZ v India ODIs SA v Aust ODIs Aus v WI Tests '08/09 Premier League Football
2010 SA v Eng Tests County Championship Div 1 County Championship Div 2 India v NZ Tests SL v WI Tests
2011 CMS Cricinfo World Cup County Championship Div 2
2012 Pak v Eng Tests SL v Ind ODIs County Championship Div 2 Champs League T20
2013 Ind v Aus Tests NZ v Eng T20/ODI NZ v Eng Tests County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 NZ v WI Tests '13/14 Aus v Eng Tests
2014 NZ v Ind ODIs CMS Cricinfo T20 World Cup County Fantasy Manager County Championship Div 1 Aus MB One Day Cup SL v Eng ODIs
2015 CMS Cricinfo ODI World Cup Eng v NZ combined Natwest T20
2016 Big Bash T20 Sheffield Shield Kia Womens T20 Natwest T20 Blast County Fantasy Manager WI v Pak T20/ODI combined Rio Olympics
2017 Womens Big Bash T20 Womens ODI World Cup Eng v WI Tests County Championship Div 1 Eng v WI ODIs Aus JLT One Day Cup Ind v SL Tests NZ v WI Tests Ind v SL T20s
2018 Aus v Eng ODIs Womens Big Bash T20 Trans Tasman T20s Sheffield Shield Pak v WI T20s NZ v Eng Tests Eng v Aus ODIs Royal London County One Day WI v Ban Test/ODI Combined Women's Super League T20 Natwest T20 Blast Caribbean Premier League T20 County Championship Div 1 Women's T20 World Cup '17/18 Premier League Fantasy Football
2019 NZ v SL Test/ODI Combined WI v Eng Tests Big Bash T20 NZ v Ban Tests ICC World Cup Single Wicket Women's Big Bash T20 All Year Fant Comp
2020 Big Bash T20 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI Bob Willis Trophy Natwest T20 Blast Aus v Ind ODI/T20 Combined
2021 Ind v Eng ODIs
Red Junior's Titles
2016 Eng v Pak ODIs (aged 6)
2017 Eng v SA Tests Ind v NZ ODIs
2018 Aus JLT One Day Cup
2019 NZ v Eng T20s Aus Marsh One Day Cup
2020 (Joint) SL v WI T20/ODI IPL T20
Red Twins Titles
2021 Aus v Ind Tests (aged 7) Ind v Eng T20s
Red Devil

Team(s) Supported: India, Manchester United

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:51 am

Definitely Gary. Phil was apparently a blinding cricketer, in fact I think he remains the youngest player to ever represent Lancs Second XI at the age of 14, but Gary was also pretty hot and could have persued a career at county level had he wanted to. Phil though is the one that got away....I think he smashed all of Athers local school records and played in teams with Marcus Trescothick and the aforementioned Flintoff, and was seen as a complete level above. It only remained to be seen if he could handle the pressure as a professional, but then again he won the champions league, so I guess you could tick that box

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:19 am

2. As a youngster trying to establish myself in the international scene, I was quite combative and some might say aloof and arrogant, some might even say this trait stayed with me through a career of on and off field spats. In the post 1994-95 Ashes series Benson and Hedges Quad team One Day games, I would smack Glenn McGrath through backward point, before colliding with him and exchanging some nice words littered liberally with ones starting with F. The action would land us both in front of the match referee, but not really sensing the gravity of the situation, I turned up smiling and joking with my post match beer still in hand, leading Bruce Reid to ask "do you think you are on f*cking holiday"? As a result, I didnt play another international for a few years.

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:14 am

Cork?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:48 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Cork?

Nope.

3. I am well known for being a lover of the outdoors life, but the passion nearly cost me my life (and that of a team mate) when we went fishing in bad seas in 2000, and the boat we were on overturned, leaving us stranded in deep water infested with sharks. I managed to drag the other two to shore over a mile away......

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:56 am

Only Lancs batters I can think of from that era are Fairbro and Crawley and the former was too old to bat with Neville. So Crawley? Not known for being arrogant though. Or a lifeguard.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby The Professor » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:01 am

Matthew Hayden
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:07 am

The very man...along with Gary, the photo that blew United's top off....
Attachments
Gary-Neville-Matt-Hayden.jpg

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:14 am

Clue 2 was a red herring. The 1994-95 post Ashes Quad series had been scheduled before Zimbabwe's full international debut, at a time they were seen to be potentially competitive. It turned out they were anything but, and neither were England. So in order not to see Australia blaze through the series with low crowd numbers, it was decided that they would include Australia A team as a fourth team, setting up a senior v juniors tie that had the fans really excited (I think both teams breezed to the final, with the full team only hitting the winning runs on the last ball).....

So Hayden did face McGrath in that series. Apparently they are good friends, but when anyone mentions the incident, they turn into playground children again, both insisting the other initiated it.

The team-mate in clue 3 was Andrew Symonds. Who repaid he friends efforts by saying he wanted to shag his wife on national radio

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:20 am

And for the record, apparently Paul Scholes was also an exceptional young cricketer. The Class of 1992 boosted England's football national team, but many had argued cricket lost 3 potentially very good future internationals to that United side. I believe all three are keen cricketing fans as well. And I know Gary Neville has credited a lot of what made him successful as a sportsman to playing in the Lancs leagues as a youngster, said nothing quite feels the same pressure as being alone batting in the middle.

sussexpob

Postby The Professor » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:08 pm

Let's try a tricky one.

1. I was born in London in 1856
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

PreviousNext

Return to The Games Room