All Time Fantasy Cricket

All competitions - pit your wits against the rest :)

Re: All Time Fantasy Cricket

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:01 am

Don't know how the stats work. Do a lot of runs eclipse a better average?

Is Voges better than Ponting?

Anyway, I picked my all time Aussie squad from experience and impressions and reputation. I thought Chappell was a better batter than Ricky and he doesn't get in. Warner wouldn't be in and I picked him on home stats.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Durhamfootman » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:50 pm

it's a lot easier for me, of course. SA only tended to play Eng and Aus pre-isolation, so much better for me to stick with players since 1992. SA have had some cracking players since then, but not too many of them. Kallis is perhaps the greatest allrounder ever... certainly since Sobers and ABDV brings a lot of security with him. selected as a batsman, but a perfectly acceptable wk for any side at any level. Spin was the hardest discipline to cover for.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:59 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:No Martin Crowe, Alviro?

Knew there was someone missing! I played an all-stars game last night and Martin Crowe was a stand out performer.

Time to do an Andy and modify my squad

Here is my revised 18 man squad

Batsmen
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor
Mark Richardson (o)
Bert Sutcliffe (o)
Stephen Fleming
Martin Crowe
Jeremy Coney

Keepers
John Reid
Tom Latham

All Rounders
Colin de Grandhomme
Chris Cairns
John Reid
Daniel Vettori
Richard Hadlee

Bowlers
Shane Bond
Trent Boult
Chris Martin
Jeetan Patel
Neil Wagner

Cheers Ian :thumb
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:18 pm

Zimbabwe

Andy Flower
Heath Streak
16 others to make up numbers...

Seriously, I'll post a squad when I can, but those are the only 2 Zimbabwe players I know of who are guaranteed a place.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby The Professor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:23 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Zimbabwe

Andy Flower
Heath Streak
16 others to make up numbers...

Seriously, I'll post a squad when I can, but those are the only 2 Zimbabwe players I know of who are guaranteed a place.

Couple of the Masakadza's need to be in there!

Cremer?
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby The Professor » Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:25 pm

Maybe try and poach the Currans
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:16 am

Well, that wasn't easy. I guess most people are having the problem of who to leave out. I'm struggling with getting 18 names that are test viable. There's definitely a few making up numbers here. Also not the most balanced squad - there's a real dearth of openers and quicks, while the middle order/allrounder slots are quite crowded. But we work with what we're given.

Batsmen
Dave Houghton
Murray Goodwin
Craig Ervine
Grant Flower
Brendan Taylor
Hamilton Masakadza
Guy Whittall

Wicketkeepers
Andy Flower
Tatenda Talibu

Allrounders
Health Streak
Paul Strang
Sikandar Raza
Andy Blignaut

Bowlers
Kyle Jarvis
Ray Price
Pommie Mbangwa
Henry Olonga
Tinashe Panyangara

XI for the first match
G Flower
Whittall
Goodwin
Houghton
A Flower (wk)
Taylor
Raza
Strang
Streak (c)
Jarvis
Mbangwa

Most of the XI was easy to pick. The tough bits were the second opener - Grant Flower is the only person who can be considered a career opener of any quality, and he still had a career average a shade under 30. Whittall's a bit of a left-field pick, but he actually did ok in the opening role on the few occasions he took it. And he can bowl a bit.

The other tough bit was the lower middle order/allrounders - which two of Taylor, Raza and Blignaut to include. My initial hunch was Blignaut as he's a quick and we're playing in Australia, which is an overseas spinners' graveyard. But a couple of things swayed me.

Firstly, I doubt the game reflects quite as much as reality the issue with spin in Australia (not when I played it, anyway).

But secondly, this is Zimbabwe v Australia. I'm going to get tonked regardless, and the decision between 5th bowler (when both have a 35+ average) is not going to make much of a difference to the minimal chance this side has of taking 20 wickets against Bradman, Ponsford, Smith, Gilchrist et al. So I decided to try and use the one possibly decent thing this squad has, which is a lot of allrounders - many of the better bowlers for Zimbabwe also bat. This team bats deep (if not strong), with test hundreds down to 9. So I figure with a flat deck or two in Adelaide and Melbourne, and a lot of luck, I may be able to scrape a draw in one game and avoid 5-0...
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:28 am

No use to you, but Zimbabwe used to have players who played for SA before they got Test status. Mike Procter comes to mind. I remember Brian Davison playing CC for Leics with success.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:25 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:No use to you, but Zimbabwe used to have players who played for SA before they got Test status. Mike Procter comes to mind. I remember Brian Davison playing CC for Leics with success.

Interesting.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:35 am

Neil Johnson was a handy player. Maybe more in ODIs.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:12 am

Hick played a few unofficial ODI's in the early 80's for Zimbabwe. Again, that's not going to help!
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:23 am

bigfluffylemon wrote: Andy Flower
Heath Streak
16 others to make up numbers....

If you said this to a room of Sussex fans, you might not make it out alive with such disrespect of the Muzzler.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:31 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Anyway, I picked my all time Aussie squad from experience and impressions and reputation. I thought Chappell was a better batter than Ricky and he doesn't get in. Warner wouldn't be in and I picked him on home stats.

I havent modded versions of this game for a long time, but in previous installments player quality is boiled down to a single figure assigned to each player in the database. So if you think a batsman's generic ability is rated somewhere between 0-100, 0-20 is a bad player, 20-40 is a low level county squad player, 40-60 is a decent county pro, 60-80 is international class, 80-100 is world beating class. Its very uncommon to have every single player assigned a specific value inside that matrix, as no player wants the same results every time they start a new game, randomness makes the game evolve as an experience, so players quality fluctuates. In my experience, you will find maybe the 10 top current players, and players historically who are all-time world XI candidates will be set to always be the same quality, as people dont want their current heros to end up randomly terrible.

After that, most players will be given a randomly generated figure when the game is initiated; that figure can either be totally random, which is usually the case for younger unheard of players (so you get different youth players emerging to change your game), or falls within one of the generic player levels. Someone like Ravi Ashwin would be programmed to have a skill level assigned somewhere between 80-100, so hes always going to be a very good player, he could either turn into the best spinner ever if assigned a score at random closer to 100, or merely a top 10 bowler of his time. Travis Head might be assigned for a random value between 60-80, so he's always going to score runs in county cricket, but as an international he might be rated at 60 and be a rotation international, or 80 and be a very solid test career player. So you get randomness, but it also adds a minimum and maximum threshold.

In the end, the more famous the player, the more likely the value is expressed and not random, the more chance that player is going to be hard coded to be brilliant. The less well known, the more chance its random or the developers held back on making them a legend.

I'd be tempted as Australia manager to even put people like Mark Waugh in, a well loved famous player who's appreciation with fans elevates him over his stats. Ricky Ponting will almost certainly be far better than most of your available batters. Id imagine a huge bias to more recent players, as gamers tend to be younger.

Voges will almost certainly be nowhere near as good as others.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:36 pm

So if the game is in India, it doesn't matter if I pick players who have done well in India?

If my player is weak against offspin, he won't struggle if the opposition picks two offspinner?

A number seven bat won't do worse if I expose him to the new ball?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:09 pm

my worry is that my first match is away in India, so if I select 2 spinners for that, will the auto part of the game carry on selecting 2 spinners for a test match played somewhere less conducive to spin

I have weak spinners, but I'm strong in snarling pacemen. I'm trying to imagine the carnage if the game only selected 2 pace men plus Kallis, if my second game should happen to be against Aus at the WACA :scared

My team would get monstered in that scenario

or have I misunderstood the game?
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL