Big Bash League 2013/14

All domestic T20 tournaments

Re: Big Bash League 2013/14

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:02 pm

from_the_stands wrote:If it turns out that the Stars are dodgy, I'd be looking at the other sporting club the CEO is in charge of.

wouldn't be Eddie Everywhere, would it?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 pm

I see that Paine has come out with an apology over these comments. Coincidence that Eddie was "considering legal action" (as he would)?

I have now read Paine's comments, seemed very light-hearted. Anyone else would get away with them, but maybe not someone in the League. They sound like something a stand up comic would say.

As they say, there is truth in humor.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:41 am

GarlicJam wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:If it turns out that the Stars are dodgy, I'd be looking at the other sporting club the CEO is in charge of.

wouldn't be Eddie Everywhere, would it?

It would indeed. I'd be investigating the Collingwood football club, and going through their books with a fine tooth comb.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:44 am

Hmmm, Tim Paine has been forced to make a public apology under the threat of legal action. For you folk in sunny England, salary caps in Australian sport is a big deal. Titles have been stripped and clubs ruined over salary cap breaches in the past. Having been involved in sport at local level, I've seen first hand how sporting clubs get around salary cap limitations that they are required to operate under. The way I view what's happening here, is that the Stars are either involved in shady dealings, or the players in the Stars squad have rubbish agents. Consider the following;

1 - Lasith Malinga would have to be the highest paid import in the competition.
2 - Glenn Maxwell, originally a player with the Melbourne Renagades, had a $US1m contract with the IPL. Brad Hodge also came over from the Stars, and is the leading run scorer in the format.
3 - Cameron White is possibly the highest paid domestic player outside the Test squad.
4 - James Faulkner and Jackson Bird both play for Tasmania, and in a sense, are both imports with a price, otherwise they'd both be playing for the Hurricanes.
5 - The following Stars players have played international cricket in some format; Malinga, Luke Wright, Cameron White, Glenn Maxwell, Brad Hodge, Rob Quiney, Matthew Wade, John Hastings, Clint Makay, James Muirhead, Jackson Bird, James Faulkner, David Hussey... have I missed anyone?

Honestly, if the Stars are doing everything by the book, then I'm His Holiness, the Deli Lama. Eddie can take as much umbridge as he likes over what Tim Paine has said. Where's there's smoke, there's fire... and in Victoria, that tends to not be a good thing, especially during bushfire season.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:39 am

Ben Dunk has been named the BBL player of the year. Too bad he seems to be behind Dave Warner, Aaron Finch and now Cameron White in the pecking order for a spot in the national T20 XI.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:33 am

from_the_stands wrote:Ben Dunk has been named the BBL player of the year. Too bad he seems to be behind Dave Warner, Aaron Finch and now Cameron White in the pecking order for a spot in the national T20 XI.

I'm fine with that. I see Dunk as a more of a flash in the pan type player that has had a good run. Should he do it again next season, he would have good reason to feel overlooked - and I will happily visit the humble pie thread.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:23 am

I'm at the G, and I reckon I'm witnessing a huge upset.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 am

A couple of the Stars batsmen (Wright and Wade in particular) have looked a little nervous, with White and Maxwell just not having things go their way.

Great two to have in - Dussey and Hodge. Hurricanes need to get them out - they are starting to get the Stars back on track.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:58 pm

from_the_stands wrote:I'm at the G, and I reckon I'm witnessing a huge upset.

Certainly was. The Hurricanes gave them a bit of a touch-up.

Hurricanes make it to the Champions League, as well as Friday night's final.

Go Tassie!!!! :dance
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:15 pm

Well, that sucked. A bit of a no show from the home side and a no show from the fans. A very small crowd in tonight. King Eddy didn't look too happy.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:21 am

Perth have made a big score. I can see them advancing through to their third straight BBL final.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:56 am

They need the rain to go away quickly for that to happen.

It will be unfortunate for the Scorchers if they don't get a chance to defend their very good total.

Simmons was terrific.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:35 pm

T20 can be a lottery at the best of times, but when one team gets their full 20 overs and then the other get 5 overs, it becomes a real game of luck.

Sixers just about to start their allotted 5 overs, needing 54 runs, in reply to the Scorchers 190-odd off 20.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:10 pm

Perth are into the final... and will be hosting. It will be 3rd v 4th. :?

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:30 am

The BBL All Star team has been announced;

Aaron Finch (captain) Renegades
Mike Hussey - Thunder
Simon Katich - Scorchers
Chris Lynn - Heat
Glenn Maxwell - Stars
Luke Wright - Stars
Ben Dunk (wk) - Hurricanes
Jackson Bird - Stars
Brad Hogg - Scorchers
Brett Lee - Sixers
Yasir Arafat - Scorchers

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

PreviousNext

Return to T20 cricket