Big Bash League 2013/14

All domestic T20 tournaments

Re: Big Bash League 2013/14

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:17 pm

Shah has been quite poor this series. I am not surprised. What's Mascarenhas like these days?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:46 am

I went to the Big Bash last night, watched it from the Long Room, sitting right up against the glass. Sometimes life is tough. And I have to say, life is tough if you're up against the Melbourne Stars. The hosts were missing; Lasith Malinga, Clint Makay, Glenn "the Big Show" Maxwell, Matthew Wade, and future Prime Minister James Faulkner. With these players all out of action, the Stars still made light work of the Hurricanes, who are far from the worst team in this comp. A coupl of blinding catches were taken during the course of the match. James Muirhead, recently selected to the Oz T20 squad, bowled one over. :? Luke Wright top scored in the chase with 52, and is currently the lading run scorer in the comp. Why he isn't in the England ODI squad is just a tad perplexing. The Hurricanes did bowl well, but the total simply wasn't enough. I was impressed with the giddy-up ball that ball that both Ben Hilfenhaus and Doug the Rug served up during the run chase. The Stars have their next game against the Perth Scorchers on Monday. I might just have to see if I can get myself back in the Long Room!

:box
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 am

Easy win to your boys, FTS. The Hurricane batting effort was quite disappointing, but as you say, the strength in depth for the Stars is obvious.

Scorchers/Stars should give you a better show - will this be "the loss that they had to have"?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:45 am

GarlicJam wrote:Easy win to your boys, FTS. The Hurricane batting effort was quite disappointing, but as you say, the strength in depth for the Stars is obvious.

Scorchers/Stars should give you a better show - will this be "the loss that they had to have"?

I reckon the Stars will win this undefeated. As much as I happy to see that, I just think that something isn't right that so many big guns play for the Stars, and so few play for the Renegades. There should have been a draft so that the talent was evenly spread. Whilst teams like the Renegades and Thunder do have some good players, they are rubbish compared to everybody else, especially the Stars. The salary cap is a joke.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 am

It would be interesting to see how much each team is worth based on how much their players get in the IPL.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby mikesiva » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Dwayne Bravo....
:clap
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:18 am

It looks to be a great run chase coming up for Brisbane - Hurricanes chose to bat and end up with 209, exactly what Brisbane scored the last time these two met. Hobart chased that one down to set the record score for the competition.

Winner goes through to the semi-final, where they get to face the might of the Stars at the MCG. Go Hobart!
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:29 am

I'm a bit surprised that the Hurricanes left out Hilfenhaus for tonight's key game. His lower order six hitting obviously wasn't missed, but his bowling might be. Brisbane have a talented batting line-up and can chase this down, but I would have to say that at this point, my money is on the men in purple.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:52 am

Brisbane Heat are in big trouble.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 am

And they could have been in bigger trouble had Shoaib Malik taken that catch. Luke Poersbach is the key man for the Heat now. I've always rated Pomersbach, even if he is a bit of a peanut.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:03 pm

The peanut has scored a brazillian runs since Malik dropped him. Good thing that the others aren't hanging around though.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm

Brisbane have been biffed. Slowbart through to the semis.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:24 am

On the eve of the first semi-final between the Stars and the Hurricanes, Tim Paine has come out and questioned the Stars ability to be under the salary cap, to the point where he has accused them of rorting the system. I would imagine that Paine is not happy that the Stars have James Faulkner and Jackson Bird on their books, in addition to Matthew Wade, all Tassie boys... although Bird is actually a transplanted Blue. At any rate, I can't see how the Stars have the same payroll as the likes of the Renegades, Thunder, and pretty much everybody else in the comp. If the Stars go on and win this, it will be a tainted victory.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:06 am

Someone had to publicly question it. Possibly Paine has heard something from one or more of the Tassie lads.

Surely CA has copies of all contracts, etc?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:18 am

If it turns out that the Stars are dodgy, I'd be looking at the other sporting club the CEO is in charge of.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

PreviousNext

Return to T20 cricket