IPL 2015

All domestic T20 tournaments

Re: IPL 2015

Postby meninblue » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:23 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:Mumbai have spent huge on players we want. We have released Michael Hussey. Hence i think we should try to get at least one of Finch and Kallis amongst foreign players.

We have bought Finch :dance

McClenaghan is also a good buy

Dont know why we bought Akshay Wahkare given that kshemal Waingankar went unsold. Kshemal had won the Mumbai single wicket tournament few years back.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:37 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:KP £205,000
Morgan £156,000
Bopara £100,000

Hales, Carberry, Sanga, Mahela and Dilshan all unsold.

Topical question - who gets the tax on their IPL earnings?

These auction values are they the salaries of the players?

Yes, that is the salary. I think KP has very less compared to what he got last year if was bif only once as CF said. Dont remember how much he fetched last year but lastt time there was intense bidding for him.

I wondered where the winning bidder's money went in theses auctions. Wasn't sure if it was the player or the BCCI. What happens if the player isn't happy with the bid? Or do they have a minimum they are prepared to play for? Also what happens to a player who isn't sold? Do they try for less money or do they just have to accept the IPL doesn't want them?
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby andy » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:40 pm

there's another day at auction i believe??
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:01 pm

There's hope for Hales and Carberry then.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby rich1uk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
I wondered where the winning bidder's money went in theses auctions. Wasn't sure if it was the player or the BCCI. What happens if the player isn't happy with the bid? Or do they have a minimum they are prepared to play for? Also what happens to a player who isn't sold? Do they try for less money or do they just have to accept the IPL doesn't want them?

afaik they have 2 prices in the auction , a recommended price that if anyone meets they get them , if no-one meets it then teams can bid below that amount and the highest bid wins but the players set a reserve price on themselves which bids have to be above

once the first stage of the auction is over players can re-consider the reserve price if no team has met it and accept a lower amount
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby meninblue » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
Morgan £156,000
Bopara £100,000

Yes, that is the salary. I think KP has very less compared to what he got last year if was bif only once as CF said. Dont remember how much he fetched last year but lastt time there was intense bidding for him.

The player is selling himself for base price, so if someone bids for him even at base price he becomes part of the franchisee who bids for him. He has no option to say i wont sell at even base price. Neither can the bidders offer less than base price nor can the player under sell themselves. If he says i am available to sell then he has to get sold if someone buy. He cant say no to franchisee once he is bought.

Players who are not sold are put up again next day. Then second round happens, some more get bought. Then on that day itself auctioneer discusses with franchise bidders which pool they want to bid, eg international unsold, national unsold etc. For eg Ross taylor who was unsold on first day last year got unsold in second lot as well, then in discussions auctioneer asked if any franchisee want to bid for any particular players. the they took few names in auction pool as per discussion and Ross Taylor got sold in that lot at base price.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:29 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
Morgan £156,000
Bopara £100,000

The player is selling himself for base price, so if someone bids for him even at base price he becomes part of the franchisee who bids for him. He has no option to say i wont sell at even base price. Neither can the bidders offer less than base price nor can the player under sell themselves. If he says i am available to sell then he has to get sold if someone buy. He cant say no to franchisee once he is bought.

Players who are not sold are put up again next day. Then second round happens, some more get bought. Then on that day itself auctioneer discusses with franchise bidders which pool they want to bid, eg international unsold, national unsold etc. For eg Ross taylor who was unsold on first day last year got unsold in second lot as well, then in discussions auctioneer asked if any franchisee want to bid for any particular players. the they took few names in auction pool as per discussion and Ross Taylor got sold in that lot at base price.

Thanks for explaining that adi.

It's certainly a unique way of signing players but it seems to work. I can't see something like that happening over here.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby meninblue » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Aidan11 wrote:

Players who are not sold are put up again next day. Then second round happens, some more get bought. Then on that day itself auctioneer discusses with franchise bidders which pool they want to bid, eg international unsold, national unsold etc. For eg Ross taylor who was unsold on first day last year got unsold in second lot as well, then in discussions auctioneer asked if any franchisee want to bid for any particular players. the they took few names in auction pool as per discussion and Ross Taylor got sold in that lot at base price.[/quote]

Thanks for explaining that adi.

It's certainly a unique way of signing players but it seems to work. I can't see something like that happening over here.[/quote]

:thumb

It is not perfect because imo Ronchi should have been sold in this form. It does not means Ronchi is a bad player at the moment, but the foreign spots are fixed and why waste lot i they are not going to play. Most IPL winnings teams have 3 sure starters foreign players. Like international teams, foreign players have sealed spots in IPL teams and it is difficult for foreignors to remove those well settled foreign players which also might disrupt the team combo. So it becomes pointless to buy Maxwell when Mumbai already have Corey and Pollard and the backup foreign all rounder who will get only one or two matches. Why waste so much money for one match, better to buy local top quality player who will play more matches and give better returns fro money spent.

Alex Hales was someone Mumbai could have looked once Mussey was out last year but his form was disastrous in ODI and Big Bash. So better to go for in form Finch who also is a a one or two or 4 overs bowler given his bowling form in that match. In Rohits injury he can captain as well. Plus now 3 years of IPL experience. Apart from such things other franchises have other factors to look at to not select quality T20 players. So many will miss. There cannot be a perfect system with so many consideration for franchisees. Still franchisees have very good foreign players.

There is a lot of flexibility offered by auctioneer in round table discussion after second round of bidding gets over. Actually the retaining concept covers 80% of players they want, so two auctions are more than enough. Plus they have the flexible lot category. Franchisees in fact cannot complain apart from the budget limitation aspect in the auctions.

What surprises me is England had T20 (Friend Life) since many years before or whatever it was called when it started. ECB failed to market it. BCCI used same format but marketed it well in first year itself. Aussies tarted Big Bash and they made it bigger than Friends Life in just 2 years. But Friends Life is standing where it was. No marketing, they just change names of teams. What about broadcasting globally or on U Tube like IPL. No good marketing strategies just name changing wont help.
meninblue

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:11 am

Can someone explain to me why Yuvraj commands such a high price in the IPL? It's not as if his record is anything to write home about. Last season he was decent without being amazing, prior to that he's been nowhere near the top batsmen for years, and nowhere near India's limited overs side. 16 crores is 5-8 pretty good players - much rather have that than one fairly average batsman.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby shankycricket » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:38 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Can someone explain to me why Yuvraj commands such a high price in the IPL? It's not as if his record is anything to write home about. Last season he was decent without being amazing, prior to that he's been nowhere near the top batsmen for years, and nowhere near India's limited overs side. 16 crores is 5-8 pretty good players - much rather have that than one fairly average batsman.

He was far and away the best Indian player available at the auction. And you need 7 Indian players in the same XI. So star Indians are obviously gonna attract big money. Which is why I surprised by RCB's decision to release him. They clearly wanted him back at a lower price as they bid heavily for him in this auction but it didn't quite work out. He showed signs of returning to his best towards the latter half of the IPL last year and has a terrific record at the Chinnaswamy, the home ground of RCB. Not sure the Feroz Shah Kotla would suit him as much though.

Glad Pujara went unsold. He can now hopefully play a full season of county cricket.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:02 pm

shankycricket wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:Can someone explain to me why Yuvraj commands such a high price in the IPL? It's not as if his record is anything to write home about. Last season he was decent without being amazing, prior to that he's been nowhere near the top batsmen for years, and nowhere near India's limited overs side. 16 crores is 5-8 pretty good players - much rather have that than one fairly average batsman.

He was far and away the best Indian player available at the auction. And you need 7 Indian players in the same XI. So star Indians are obviously gonna attract big money. Which is why I surprised by RCB's decision to release him. They clearly wanted him back at a lower price as they bid heavily for him in this auction but it didn't quite work out. He showed signs of returning to his best towards the latter half of the IPL last year and has a terrific record at the Chinnaswamy, the home ground of RCB. Not sure the Feroz Shah Kotla would suit him as much though.

Glad Pujara went unsold. He can now hopefully play a full season of county cricket.

Frankly if Yuvraj was the best Indian player available at the auction, it doesn't say much for the quality of the rest of them. I still think it's a ludicrous amount of money considering what you could have got instead.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby rich1uk » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I would guess there is a PR element to it as well , he is still a very popular player in india

might be a marketing and commercial boost with him there
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:03 am

rich1uk wrote:I would guess there is a PR element to it as well , he is still a very popular player in india

60 crores is a heck of a lot of Y. Singh t-shirts, but I take your point.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Making_Splinters » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:20 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
rich1uk wrote:I would guess there is a PR element to it as well , he is still a very popular player in india

60 crores is a heck of a lot of Y. Singh t-shirts, but I take your point.

Yuvraj is a very emotive player - A World Cup winner and someone who over came cancer to return to playing. Yes his international days are almost certainly over, but he has huge potential both on the field and in the cheque book. It's a phenomenal amount of money for someone who isn't at the top of the international game, but the IPL has never been just about the cricket.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby meninblue » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:35 pm

Delhi needed a captain. Amongst Indian players they lacked options. Yuvi is a captaincy material with vast short format experience. As a player he has lost the consistency and he is just not the same after he has been dropped from international teams. What he can bring to Delhi is a better fan base in terms of number and poster boy for them in marketing. However, i don't think he was worth that much. At this point of time they could have easily got many international cricketers better than him now at half that price.
meninblue

PreviousNext

Return to T20 cricket