A T20 Franchise League in England

All domestic T20 tournaments

Re: A T20 Franchise League in England

Postby mikesiva » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:02 pm

Starts in 2018 but no England stars until maybe 2020. That's killing it before it even starts.

It will be held in July when the cpl is going on in the Caribbean so no west indies stars either. Some of the foreign stars who play in the Caribbean will stay there because the cpl will have more international television appeal. Fans in India would rather watch Chris gayle andre Russell sunil narine dwayne bravo and kieron pollard than Chris Jordan eoin Morgan and ravi bopara.

Ecb and sky need to think hard about when this is held and try to ensure it doesn't clash with the cpl or it could be short lived.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:12 am

mikesiva wrote:Starts in 2018 but no England stars until maybe 2020. That's killing it before it even starts.

It will be held in July when the cpl is going on in the Caribbean so no west indies stars either. Some of the foreign stars who play in the Caribbean will stay there because the cpl will have more international television appeal. Fans in India would rather watch Chris gayle andre Russell sunil narine dwayne bravo and kieron pollard than Chris Jordan eoin Morgan and ravi bopara.

Ecb and sky need to think hard about when this is held and try to ensure it doesn't clash with the cpl or it could be short lived.

The ECB are asking for trouble if they go up against the CPL, unless the money they're offering players dwarfs what is being earned in the CPL (which probably won't be too hard). To make this work, the ECB really need to come up with something a little different, and perhaps have a 10 team competition, where everyone players each other once, with 4 import players, and an extra slot for an associate player. Play a combination of day and night games. Play 5 matches (involving all teams) in Florida, where lots of Poms like to have their holidays. Lower the price of beer at the grounds and watch the crowds flock. In terms of timing, they really need to consider holding this comp over the school holidays in order to get the kiddies in, but also so it doesn't clash with the CPL. What would be really cool would be having players from both India and Pakistan playing in this. Then watch the money roll in.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Durhamfootman » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:27 am

st_brendy wrote: then the 8 locations will be the 9 tests grounds excluding the Rose Bowl.

I thought I'd read that it would be the city based test grounds

that would rule the Riverside out, and quite right too..... attendances are probably amongst the very worst in the country
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby from_the_stands » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:11 am

backfootpunch wrote:unless they make it short and make a window that means all the england players can play in it then i cant see it working

The Big Bash seems to do okay without the Oz players. And the EPL doesn't seem to need too many English players these days.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:48 pm

It's now been pushed back to 2020 at the earliest.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:36 pm

A new T20 tournament before 2020 would not be feasible due to the current Future Tours Programme, mostly with 2019 being a Cricket World Cup and Ashes year.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:33 pm

Essex chairman John Faragher fears that the City Based T20 competition will eventually lead to a 8 team First Class system, effectively relegating non-test counties as status of a Minor County.

He also states that counties now have a different opinion with the proposals since September's vote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37858871
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby Hampshire » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Out of pure curiosity, what would peoples views be on pairing up the counties geographically to form a 9 team tournament? As a Hampshire fan living near Southampton I'd probably still feel more inclined to support perhaps a 'South Coast Spartans' team consisting of a mixture of players from Hampshire and Sussex than alternatively a possible 'Southampton Spartans' made up of a mixture of players from around the country who I feel no real allegiance to. Obviously we've got no clue what they intend to do with team locations and names yet but it's just a thought that crossed my mind with the recent articles about the intended tournament for the 2020 season.
Hampshire

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire
England

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:52 pm

Don't really know how that would work up North though, it's hard to see how Lancashire, Yorkshire and Durham would fit neatly into a franchise system. I wouldn't want to be travelling up and down from Durham to Leeds to watch games, or from Manchester to Birmingham.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Hampshire » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:24 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Don't really know how that would work up North though, it's hard to see how Lancashire, Yorkshire and Durham would fit neatly into a franchise system. I wouldn't want to be travelling up and down from Durham to Leeds to watch games, or from Manchester to Birmingham.

Yep, up north would be a bit of an issue which would cause a bit of a knock on effect. You'd have to go Yorkshire and Durham (google maps actually suggests that by car it would barely take any longer than Southampton to Brighton) if you were pairing but then you run into the midlands issue. Derbyshires the closest to Manchester distance wise (but then you'd be cutting it off from Notts very close to it) then perhaps Notts/Leicester, Birmingham/Northampton (pairings that keep a test ground with one of the smaller grounds could be sensible to maximise crowds rather than having 2 grounds that would be limited on capacity together?)

Presuming you then just did 2 London teams with Middlesex/Essex Surrey/Kent then that leaves Somerset/Gloucestershire forming a west country team and a very stretched Cardiff and Worcester team.
Hampshire

England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Trouble with this is you lose the interest of local derbies by putting two neighbours together. Which is something you would like to promote and retain within a new system. I'd leave things as they are... but, y'know.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Hampshire » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Trouble with this is you lose the interest of local derbies by putting two neighbours together. Which is something you would like to promote and retain within a new system. I'd leave things as they are... but, y'know.

I think we can be fairly sure that's not going to happen now! I guess the case is there that you'd form new derbies and some would still remain. You'd still end up with a franchise involving Lancashire playing a franchise involving Yorkshire, and you'd still have 2 london based teams. You'd also end up with 2 different midlands teams.
Hampshire

England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:35 pm

Well, yes.

Whatever they decide will be messy and unsatisfactory. There isn't any significant T20 history to the game, but if it works, it'll further absorb the summer months to the detriment of the county system. I expect there'll be 8-10 city based teams. What exists now will be so ravaged by the change, they'll feel justified in tearing up the whole system. I don't get the impression the ECB are going to bother with the fanbase such as it exists right now, but look to attract a whole new support. and just write off everyone who resents that.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:05 pm

To me the only geographical way this makes sense to do is if you forget the Counties and make it based around current international grounds. Then each team bids for players from the current domestic player base regardless of what County they play for. Of course you'd actually need a window in the calendar where just that competition is played or it would be a nightmare for players.

If anything that's the only way I can see this working.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:44 pm

Hampshire wrote:Out of pure curiosity, what would peoples views be on pairing up the counties geographically to form a 9 team tournament? As a Hampshire fan living near Southampton I'd probably still feel more inclined to support perhaps a 'South Coast Spartans' team consisting of a mixture of players from Hampshire and Sussex than alternatively a possible 'Southampton Spartans' made up of a mixture of players from around the country who I feel no real allegiance to. Obviously we've got no clue what they intend to do with team locations and names yet but it's just a thought that crossed my mind with the recent articles about the intended tournament for the 2020 season.

A 8-9 team tournament is too small considering the amount of domestic player and venue resources there is.

A 9 team tournament with 3 Overseas Players (allegedly proposed) leaves 72 starting slots for domestic and kolpak players. 72 divide by 18 counties equals 4 starting berths for domestic stalwarts and England limited overs players. Every County has at least that number of good quality T20 players in their team, so it leaves a surplus of players not being involved.

Then there are 11 grounds in England (and Wales) who are capable of hosting International Cricket (Riverside, Headingley, Old Trafford, Trent Bridge, Edgbaston, Cardiff, Bristol, Taunton, Southampton, Lords, Oval).

Are the ECB creating a new Twenty20 competition to grow the game or doing something else entirely?

Alviro Patterson

PreviousNext

Return to T20 cricket