Big Bash League 2015/16

All domestic T20 tournaments

Big Bash League 2015/16

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:23 am

So we're about 300 odd sleeps from this great competition kicking off once more. This will be the fifth edition for the best T20 league outside the IPL. Perth will be looking to make their fifth finals in a row, with the two Melbourne franchises looking to break Victoria's duck. The trading period started on Monday, he's a few of moves announced thus far;

Around 80 players are coming off contracts, with the salary cap increasing by $A100k to stand at $A800k in total.
Yuvraj Singh won't be playing in the BBL any time soon.
Cameron White is a free agent and is yet to be resigned by the Stars.
Stephen Fleming will be the new coach for the Melbourne Stars.
Melbourne Renegades are also in the market for a new coach. They could snap up Greg Shippard, or their director of cricket, Tom Moody could be a chance.
Clint McKay was released by the Melbourne Stars and has signed with the Sydney Thunder.
Jackson Bird has also left the Stars and looks set to join the Sydney Sixers.
To cover the loss of McKay and Bird, the Stars are chasing Ben Hilfenhaus.
Melbourne Renegades are chasing Xavier Doherty, in addition to four other unnamed players, with Cameron White rumoured to be one of those.
Ben Rohrer has left the Renegades and joined Sydney Thunder.
Sydney Thunder have retained Usman Khawaja, Pat Cumins and Gurinder Sandhu.
Freddie Flintoff looks certain to get the chop from the Brisbane Heat.
KP will almost certainly be retained by the Stars.
I'm expecting Luke Wright to get the chop from the Stars, who must surely be looking at bowlers.

Stay tuned for more updates.

A women's league looks set for lift-off next summer with eight franchises aligned with the men's teams.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Big Bash League 2015/16

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:31 am

The nuts and bolts of how the trade period works;

http://www.brisbaneheat.com.au/news/2015/02/20/bbl-trade-period-approches
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:01 am

From a Melbourne Stars point of view, King Eddie will be pulling out all the stops to get the men in green into their first BBL final. I'm not surprised that they cut Clint MaKay loose, given that he barely featured in BB4. Jackson Bird is a big loss, but would be compensated by the arrival of Ben Hilfenhaus. Signing Stephen Fleming as head coach, might prove to be the signing of the year. Hopefully his first move will be to resign Cameron White. I'd imagine that KP will return, but not Luke Wright. I thought our bowling attack was short a quick, when Lasith Malinga wasn't resigned. I doubt we'll see him in green again, but a fast quick is definitely what is required for that second import spot. Tim Southee would do. One player we didn't see a lot of was Marcus Stoinus. I'm not sure of his status, but I reckon he's worth hanging on to, along with David Hussey, who missed much of the campaign through injury. If I were Stephen Fleming, I'd be sniffing around the Perth Scorchers and Sydney Sixers to see who was coming out of contract there. Both teams have loads of talent in their squads. Some fringe players might fancy a bit more action. If Jason Behrendoff was available, I'd definitely be having a crack at him, although I'd say that he was banging on the door to a call-up to the ODI squad, so that might not work, especially with James 'the finisher" Faulkner a nailed on certainly for ODI action next summer.

My Stars XI for BBL5

Cameron White (c)
Peter Handscomb
Kevin Pieterson
Glenn Maxwell
David Hussey (vc)
Marcus Stoinus
James Faulkner
John Hastings
Tim Southee
Ben Hilfenhaus
Michael Beer

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:48 am

Good posts, FTS.

It looks like the Thunder will do well to retain those three (hopefully Khawaja has better luck with injuries next season), adn even though he had a terrible season for the Renegades, I think Rohrer is a great (re)aquisition.

Hurricanes need to do some good work in this trade period.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:18 am

Alex Doolan, Aaron O'Brian and peter Neville have all been released by the Renegades. I reckon Neville will end up at the Sydney Thunder, with Doolan going to the Hurricanes probably.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:59 am

I got the impression towards the end of the last season that Doug the Rug might be looking for a new club for next season. After looking pretty unenthusiastic in his last over in the final, he made a blunder that led to a couple of free-hits and many free runs for the Scorchers - which proved the difference between winning and losing the final. A couple of fielding errors tossed in compounded my view here.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby andy » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:44 pm

some side that FTS...as usual for the stars!!! Just choke when it gets near the big games..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:30 am

Johan Botha has signed a three year deal with the Sydney Sixers.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:10 am

from_the_stands wrote:Johan Botha has signed a three year deal with the Sydney Sixers.

Yeah, I read that this morning, and was surprised. I thought that he was a rusted on Redback (and therefore Striker).

A lot of spin in Sixerland (or slow bowling at least) - Botha, Lyons and O'Keefe.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:26 am

Shaun Tait has signed for Slowbart.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby GarlicJam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:34 am

You're quick, fts. No sooner do I read it elsewhere, than you've posted about it here.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby from_the_stands » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:44 am

GarlicJam wrote:You're quick, fts. No sooner do I read it elsewhere, than you've posted about it here.

Yeah, my ex-girlfriend used to say that to me a lot.

2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Postby braveneutral » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:33 am

:lmaoagain

Poor Yuvi!
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:04 am

Right thread, BN? Is he coming to The Thunder, or something?
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby braveneutral » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:43 pm

GarlicJam wrote:Right thread, BN? Is he coming to The Thunder, or something?

A response to the OP, but most of the time it is the wrong thread.

I think I had read another comment about Yuvi just before.

He is signing for Hobart though. ;)
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Next

Return to T20 cricket