FIFA World Cup 2018 chat thread

The beautiful game!

Re: FIFA World Cup 2018 chat thread

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:15 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:That South Korea game was a shocker

I dont think you can look past fraud tbh, there is no other way to explain that game. The way Korea played the match too, you had to think they were in the know. If you ever can be bothered, go back and see how many elbows or hands are thrown, or how many extremely reckless challenges go unpunished from Korea in that game. People remember the insanity of the Totti penalty/red card, the Tommasi goal, and to a less extent the Korea penalty (I actually thought he got that right, the Italian is all over him)...... but really, it was the countless brutal fouls the Koreas got away with over the match.

I think Zambrotta had to go off after being kung fu kicked and the player didnt even get booked, and one Italian was elbowed on the ball and was bleeding quite badly. Quite frankly, it was embarrassing.

FIFA really should apologise to Italy and null and void that game from the records.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:02 pm

I haven't watched much of the world cup so far, just the England game and about an hour of the Oz game.

Got the chance to watch the Morocco v Portugal now, so I've just stuck it on, and I don't believe it, a shrieking woman commentator and Martin Keown. It could only be worse if it was Lawrenson instead of Keown. The mute button has been engaged immediately.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 pm

Blimey, Ronaldo header after four minutes, making a serious claim on the golden boot with four goals in just over a game.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:07 pm

If they continue to mark him like that, he will be in double figures by 4pm
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:08 pm

Free header for the a man who is arguably the best with his nut in the world!
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:09 pm

sussexpob wrote:If they continue to mark him like that, he will be in double figures by 4pm

having watched the replay, it was excellent movement.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:11 pm

Portugal dont look good at the back, this could end 4-3

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:13 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Free header for the a man who is arguably the best with his nut in the world!

Personally think thats generous to Ronaldo, he simply moves towards the ball, the defender just watches him

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:18 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:Free header for the a man who is arguably the best with his nut in the world!

Personally think thats generous to Ronaldo, he simply moves towards the ball, the defender just watches him

Watch it again. Ronaldo goes then checks back. Ok the defender should have done better but it was still good from Ronaldo.
Gingerfinch

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:20 pm

Portugal could easily have been 2-1 down.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Portugal could easily have been 2-1 down.

Yep, all Morocco so far. Dominated the Iran game too for large parts, just havent scored.

Considering the CB pairing of Portugal is a combined age of 190, why are they playing such a high line at the back? Its asking for balls to be played over or between them

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Fonte not even looking at the ball, just smashes into the Morocco lad. No VAR.... this video ref thing is so confusing. Amrabat was fouled before (but the foul was outside the box, not sure I agree it was 50-50 like Keown says, clearly the portugal lad starts it by trying to remove his shorts), no replay.

Seems too confusing. They need to have challenges added to it, stop the clock if needed.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 pm

BBC lot going on about the movement, but its quite obvious to me that the original man up alongside Ronaldo then picks to mark the other guy as the ball comes in. The check doesnt fool the defender, it just makes the man left nearest to Ronaldo realise the others defender mistake. I think its Manuel Da Costa, he clearly is marking Ronaldo, then picked Guedes to track as he moves forward.

Sorry, its rubbish defending. Ronaldo just goes through the gap as the defender leaves him a yard of space for a free ball

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:51 pm

Gave up after 20 minutes, too boring.

Just switched on again, football still dull, Portugal playing out a draw.

Only one thing of note was when Portugal made a substitution, the outgoing player unwound some strapping on his right arm and deposited it on the pitch. I often see it, why do players do it, can't he take a few more steps and dispose of it properly somewhere in the dugout. Should be an instant fine for littering.

The token woman commentator is still shrieking.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Been a good game, Morocco have missed tonnes of chances. I literally have no idea how Portugal are leading

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum