European nations league

The beautiful game!

Re: European nations league

Postby yuppie » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:16 pm

Looking at the goals. Some very nice play from England, Pickford picking out some killer passes.

Not watching the game, but the goals, well England look good.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:41 pm

Maybe all the racists in the press who keeping bagging out Sterling will finally stfu.

Superb first half. Skin of the teeth and outclassed in the second, but it's the result that counts. First time England have beaten a team above them in the FIFA rankings since Argentina 2002...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:55 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Superb first half. Skin of the teeth and outclassed in the second, but it's the result that counts. First time England have beaten a team above them in the FIFA rankings since Argentina 2002...

Spain are ranked below England after the World Cup, and I would bet my life when we beat Germany in 2016, they must have been ranked a lot higher than us.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:56 pm

sussexpob wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:Superb first half. Skin of the teeth and outclassed in the second, but it's the result that counts. First time England have beaten a team above them in the FIFA rankings since Argentina 2002...

Spain are ranked below England after the World Cup, and I would bet my life when we beat Germany in 2016, they must have been ranked a lot higher than us.

Good grief, so they are. England are six? Yeah, that's nuts.

Fair point v Germany in 2016, but I wasn't counting friendlies.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:41 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:Maybe all the racists in the press who keeping bagging out Sterling will finally stfu

You aren't a racist if you criticize the performance of a black player ffs.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:50 am

bigfluffylemon wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Good grief, so they are. England are six? Yeah, that's nuts

I think, rightly or wrongly, the ranking system would boost matches won in a world cup over others. So a good world cup run is a lot of ranking points.

Having said that, Peru were ranked 2nd before the WC, so I think that says all you need to know about the ranking system. It seems beating a load of second tier sides consistently for 2 years, equates to massive points.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:00 am

Reading the report this morning it looks like England were fortunate to get the win.

Three shots three goals in the first half.

Awful in the second half, played off the park, Spain should have had a penalty....

73% to 27% possession.

23 shots to 5 overall.

No doubt another false dawn.

Back to proper football now, shame we have to put up with another round of this farcical tournament in November!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:05 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:Maybe all the racists in the press who keeping bagging out Sterling will finally stfu

Some of the criticism in the press, its nature and its dogmatic approach, certainly shows a trend towards racism. We've had this conversation before, I dont put your comments down to this.

sussexpob

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:14 am

sussexpob wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:

Some of the criticism in the press, its nature and its dogmatic approach, certainly shows a trend towards racism. We've had this conversation before, I dont put your comments down to this.

Me neither. That wasn't aimed at anyone here. But the nature of the crticism in certain sectors of the press has been suspect for some time.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:15 am

sussexpob wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Good grief, so they are. England are six? Yeah, that's nuts

I think, rightly or wrongly, the ranking system would boost matches won in a world cup over others. So a good world cup run is a lot of ranking points.

Having said that, Peru were ranked 2nd before the WC, so I think that says all you need to know about the ranking system. It seems beating a load of second tier sides consistently for 2 years, equates to massive points.

See also: the USA for much of the 2000s...
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby Durhamfootman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:42 am

I watched the highlights. England took their goals very well. Good to see Sterling put that goal drought behind him.

Was it a pen? I'm not so sure, but then again, if it had been given I could see why. Nobody complains when defenders protect the ball by blocking the attacker with their arms stretched out wide, so I'm not sure why it should be different for keepers. Hint of a tug on the shirt (when slowed right down and looked at from several different angles) as he slid the ball away, but not much and it would have been a soft one if the ref had pointed to the spot, I think.... but plenty of those get given, of course. Perhaps it was as simple as the attacker not throwing himself to the floor extravagantly, and so didn't get it. England also had a shout for a pen turned down when Sterling had his foot trodden on as he burst into the box, so swings and roundabouts for me.

Pickford getting the plaudits for his distribution, but his goalkeeping was way off the mark last night. Thought Kane was very effective, without scoring any himself
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby mikesiva » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:51 am

This Nations League format is having repercussions in other continents.

Jamaica had to turn down a lucrative trip to Saudi Arabia because in the Caribbean Nations League now required them to play at home to Cayman Islands, a match that only attracted a thousand spectators.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:34 pm

mikesiva wrote:This Nations League format is having repercussions in other continents.

Jamaica had to turn down a lucrative trip to Saudi Arabia because in the Caribbean Nations League now required them to play at home to Cayman Islands, a match that only attracted a thousand spectators.

I confess to liking the competition, as I think it adds a little more value to pointless friendlies. But countries should maybe be able to opt out of it where, as you highlight above, more value can be obtained for the greater good of the game by playing better sides. In the European game, the matches are divided on quality rankings, so at least you dont get too many games like the one highlighted. Is this not done in for teams like Jamaica, Mike?

Id think if it was, playing the Mexicos/USA or bigger rivals from the other Islands would be a beneficial competition to be in... while playing the Cayman Islands seems to be an utter waste of time.

sussexpob

Postby mikesiva » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 am

One thing to say for Concacaf...they have this ability to take a complicated competition, and make it more complicated. The match with Cayman is apparently part of a lengthy qualification tournament for the Concacaf Nations League, which starts next year, or thereabouts:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019%E2%8 ... qualifying
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Six English players around the Croatian man and he manages to score from a deflection, bloody typical.

After England have dominated the match and squandered around six gilt edge opportunities to score.

Crap competition anyway!

If it stays like this Croatia will qualify for the semi final. Lost 6-0 to Spain away, were lucky to beat them the other night at home, should have lost to us at home and should have been 3-0 down at half time in this game. Unreal.

When Harry Kane's on form he's unstoppable, when he isn't like in this game, he's a lumbering oaf.

Kane scores, I said he was a genius!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum