Premiership 2016/2017

The beautiful game!

Re: Premiership 2016/2017

Postby sussexpob » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:07 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Man C away was written off before the season started.

We lost 5-1 last season and Man C look way better already this season under Guardiola.

It's how we do against the Hulls Burnleys and West Broms that decides whether we go down or not.

I'm not expecting much against Everton, the way they're playing, next week either.

Pep credited Bournemouth today as being the toughest team City have faced under him. Seemed to infer that tactically they setup well and looked good when they had the ball..... he said that it was on a case that his team had better quality in the more important moments, but Bournemouth made it difficult.

Howe should take encouragement from that. If anything I see those words as respect to what Howe is doing, coming from probably the greatest coach of our era.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:13 pm

As for Bournemouths start and the comment about Everton. Early season tables mean very little, you have to think Everton have played one tough game away and didnt win, while they have played poorer teams on the scale and won. Thats enough for a top half or Europa League finish, nothing wrong with it, but how they go to Man City and play is what matters if they want to be more.

In 5 matches, Bournemouth have played both Manchester Clubs, West Ham who last year finished 4 points from a Champions League spot away from home, and have taken 4 points from the easy matches... should have been 2 wins, but Palace scored with the last kick at Selhurst in a game they were rubbish in.

Bournemouth will compete well against other teams in the league and can still do well this year.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:20 pm

As for City.... Pep is doing what Mancini and Pelligrini should have been doing.... dominating with the best team/setup in English football.

Pep makes football look so easy. His eye for a player and what they bring to his team in the grand scheme of a tactical blueprint is something that the other two flops should have realised. Man City should really not have lost a title since the Abu Dhabi lot came in, they brought in plenty of players at a time when money bought quality at lower levels, but previous managers at the club have been in my eyes a disaster. So Pelligrin and Mancini won leagues, but I honestly think I could have with those teams.

I have huge respect for Pep. Comes in, takes one look at Joe Hart and says "nope". Has the balls to send off Toure because he knows like everyone should that Toure is redundant in 70% of matches he plays. Finally someone realised Nasri was crap, or gave the Nigeria lad up front who looks to have quality a chance.

More than anything he sorted out that Midfield, and quick. It didnt take much...... he just realised the most obvious answer in English football..... De Bruyne is the best number 10 in the league, if not world football at the moment discrediting Messi, so he doesnt just farm him out in a defensive wide position where he gets the ball in his own half like Pelligrini seemed to insisted he played (yet in an injury hit season, he still smashed in a consistent amount of goals and assists).... instead he is hitting the space in front of the back 4 and destroying teams with his incredible creativity and passing. I think he was the main thread in all the goals today with his play. Hes simply incredible, Mourinho must stare at the bottom of a few wine glasses wondering why the hell he never game the lad a game!

If De Bruyne and Aguero stay fit, Man City will be a real force in the Champions League..... and in the Premier League, well, they might end up winning it in March at this rate.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:25 am

City were the heaviest spenders in the last transfer window, spending 168 million, which is more than United though it does not seem to have got as much attention.

It is obvious that Pep has a plan, but he has always had the resources to enact those plans.

City are playing some amazing footy, and Pep seems to have also turned around the fortunes of Sterling, who from the the highlights i have seen this year seems to have got his confidence back.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:34 am

De Bruyne has definitely gone up a notch from last season. I've wondered over the last two years what all the fuss is about to be honest, but this season I'm just beginning to see his ability. However, I'm going to take a lot more convincing where Sterling's concerned. He always does well against us, and he nearly fluffed the open goal! May be the best manager in the world can make something out of his headless chicken mincing runs! And he is in a team of world class players so he has that in his favour, playing for England will be a different matter entirely.

I know it makes no difference but the second City goal was offside, and I haven't seen anyone flag it up in the media.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:36 am

From the little i have seen this year, Sterling has started the year well, and Pep has shown faith in him which must have been a big boost for him. 3 goals already and a couple of assists in the 5 games in the league.

Still only 21, long way to go, but a good start to the season.

I think they only highlight wrong decisions when it affects the big teams Budget.......
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:50 am

Yuppie,

I think Pep has had resources, dont get me wrong, but were Barcelona ever a youth developing team before he took over? This La Masia era was of his doing, not only because he was involved with alot of the Barcelona B and youth setups before getting the job, but it was him who really put faith in it. He made decisions early in his career at Barcelona to trust in a 19-20 year old Messi and sell Ronaldinho to Milan. Might not sound like much now, in fact the modern day journos seem to have created this narrative that it was widely seen that Ronaldinho was past it based solely on the fact of what happened after.... he was what, 27 and had won World Player twice only 1 or 2 years before? Good luck selling that one to me. He got a couple of injuries the year before Pep arrived, but he was still THE player in world football at the time. Other managers might have played ROnaldinho and Messi wouldnt have got a real chance. It took extreme balls to swap an unknown teenager for the worlds best player.

It wasnt isolated either. He moved Puyol to centre back where he became a monster. He bought Pique for nothing after United labelled him a flop. He brought in the exceptional Abidal for a cheapish fee. He made Dani Alves his first major financial investment. He got rid of Deco and put faith in Iniesta to fill that role, after being basically a the utility midfielder playing much on the left wing where he underachieved. He made Xavi the focal point. He esculated Pedro, Busquets. HE signed Yaya Toure/Keita for small fees. HE brought Henry in up front.

Essentially, in a very short space of time he got rid of the whole of Rijkaards team, replaced it with players from the youth team or bought, and had basically very little fail ratio while doing it.

He just seems to have a knack at seeing a player and seeing the quality there. Its almost like a sixth sense, so when Pep makes a decision on buying or selling a plyaer, its the right one.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:28 pm

So Watford have been the better team for the first 20 mins against United.

Still think United will have to much quality, but there are still a few problems for United to sort out. Namely the defense......
yuppie

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:38 pm

sussexpob wrote:Yuppie,

I think Pep has had resources, dont get me wrong, but were Barcelona ever a youth developing team before he took over? This La Masia era was of his doing, not only because he was involved with alot of the Barcelona B and youth setups before getting the job, but it was him who really put faith in it. He made decisions early in his career at Barcelona to trust in a 19-20 year old Messi and sell Ronaldinho to Milan. Might not sound like much now, in fact the modern day journos seem to have created this narrative that it was widely seen that Ronaldinho was past it based solely on the fact of what happened after.... he was what, 27 and had won World Player twice only 1 or 2 years before? Good luck selling that one to me. He got a couple of injuries the year before Pep arrived, but he was still THE player in world football at the time. Other managers might have played ROnaldinho and Messi wouldnt have got a real chance. It took extreme balls to swap an unknown teenager for the worlds best player.

It wasnt isolated either. He moved Puyol to centre back where he became a monster. He bought Pique for nothing after United labelled him a flop. He brought in the exceptional Abidal for a cheapish fee. He made Dani Alves his first major financial investment. He got rid of Deco and put faith in Iniesta to fill that role, after being basically a the utility midfielder playing much on the left wing where he underachieved. He made Xavi the focal point. He esculated Pedro, Busquets. HE signed Yaya Toure/Keita for small fees. HE brought Henry in up front.

Essentially, in a very short space of time he got rid of the whole of Rijkaards team, replaced it with players from the youth team or bought, and had basically very little fail ratio while doing it.

He just seems to have a knack at seeing a player and seeing the quality there. Its almost like a sixth sense, so when Pep makes a decision on buying or selling a plyaer, its the right one.

No doubts that Pep is exceptional at what he has done. But i also think it needs to be contrasted with the resources that he has had available to him. Pep always comes across well when interviewed, seems like a humble and likeable person whilst still having that ruthlessness required to be a top manager. But i guess i would like to see what he could do at a smaller team. Could he have won the league with Leicesters squad, or Athletico win the league in the style of Pep on Athleticos budget? Could he do what Jose did with Porto, or what Rafa did with Liverpool, Clough at Forest. The answers is probably, but until we see it, i think questions will still remain.

For me the most amazing bit of managerial magic this season has been Phelan at Hull. I still expect Hull to be relegated but to get 7 points out of them from the first 4 games considering the off season they had. Now that's good coaching.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Blatent foul on Martial for the goal though

sussexpob

Postby Aidan11 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:44 pm

Mourinho out!
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:47 pm

My feed keeps dropping out, to old a computer i feel.

Can United really start with Zlatan, Rooney, Martial and Rashford?

I know Martials off, but not sure how balanced a side up front that is? How was it looking?
yuppie

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:12 pm

sussexpob wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Pep credited Bournemouth today as being the toughest team City have faced under him. Seemed to infer that tactically they setup well and looked good when they had the ball..... he said that it was on a case that his team had better quality in the more important moments, but Bournemouth made it difficult.

Howe should take encouragement from that. If anything I see those words as respect to what Howe is doing, coming from probably the greatest coach of our era.

I heard his comments, I think your last sentence summed it up. His suggestion that all the other teams he's seen have been long ball merchants was partly a reflection of how he likes to see the game played and a dig against Mourinho!
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby yuppie » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:48 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Mourinho out!

Could be getting louder after this insipid display.
yuppie

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:58 pm

Man U are going to have to face up to the fact that they're going to do a Liverpool and not win the title for a long time after being dominant for two decades.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum