"Plastic fans" / "Glory hunters"

The beautiful game!

Re: "Plastic fans" / "Glory hunters"

Postby mikesiva » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:47 pm

I don't know about that...if I was a Liverpool supporter, and Dalglish gave Suarez unconditional support throughout that unsavoury incident, I would renounce my support of Liverpool without a second thought.
:halo:
If Fergie punishes Rio for his stance on Kick It Out, I would similarly have no hesitation in saying that I no longer support United....

It's not like I was born in Manchester, so I don't have to support them through thick and thin. It's only football, after all....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby rich1uk » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:02 pm

no offence mike but in that case you were never really a supporter of the respective team in the first place

as far as the fergie-rio thing , i dont think rio will be reprimanded for not wearing the t-shirt itself , if he is reprimanded it would be because the day after his manager makes a very public statement supporting the campaign his most senior player then does the opposite

if fergie hadn't said anything on friday and rio doesn't wear the t-shirt then i doubt we would have seen alot made of it

maybe posting this in the wrong thread but i dont understand what they think they are gaining by boycotting the campaign and if anything are just highlighting the division that the campaign is trying to deal with.
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby yorker_129-7 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:07 pm

The punishment won't extend beyond a slap on the wrist and maybe a minimal fine (which will then likely be donated to the campaign). By this time next week no-one will be talking about it.
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby rich1uk » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:11 pm

yorker_129-7 wrote:The punishment won't extend beyond a slap on the wrist and maybe a minimal fine (which will then likely be donated to the campaign). By this time next week no-one will be talking about it.

agreed and as i said above i dont think he would even have got that if it hadn't been for fergie's public support of the campaign the previous day
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:33 pm

Regarding Rio/Fergie. A real fan may not support one or other but will continue to support the team.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:04 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Regarding Rio/Fergie. A real fan may not support one or other but will continue to support the team.

Indeed, no individual is bigger than the club.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby meninblue » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:24 am

Too much of thinking. Anyone can support more than two teams, more than one player , more than one club etc.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:44 am

I know a few people who follow a local club but support one of the big or in some cases not so big sides. When it comes down to it, the that is supported will take preference.
Gingerfinch

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:16 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:Too much of thinking. Anyone can support more than two teams, more than one player , more than one club etc.

You can up until those two teams face each other in a game, hometown team comes first without question regardless of result.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:34 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:Too much of thinking. Anyone can support more than two teams, more than one player , more than one club etc.

You can up until those two teams face each other in a game, hometown team comes first without question regardless of result.

Off course, that's obvious. :thumb
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:43 am

You have a very loose understanding of the word "support"
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:52 am

SaintPowelly wrote:

You have a very loose understanding of the word "support"

When India is playing i support India. If India is not playing i support some other team. Maybe support could be the wrong word as you say in the later case. Should we say back other team or whatever other word that is apt for that case in case "support" isn't apt word.
meninblue

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:13 pm

clubcricketeradi wrote:
When India is playing i support India. If India is not playing i support some other team. Maybe support could be the wrong word as you say in the later case. Should we say back other team or whatever other word that is apt for that case in case "support" isn't apt word.

Backing another team is an appropriate word, nowt wrong with that. Supporting a team has the emotional attachment towards it, it's impossible to have the same amount of emotion in supporting two or more sides.

Plastic fans/glory hunters get resented because their support is narrow minded and sheltered compared to active football supporters. Also the fact that Premier League has destroyed competition in football and gives less than what it takes.

Alviro Patterson

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:

Backing another team is an appropriate word, nowt wrong with that. Supporting a team has the emotional attachment towards it, it's impossible to have the same amount of emotion in supporting two or more sides.

Plastic fans/glory hunters get resented because their support is narrow minded and sheltered compared to active football supporters.

I agree Alviro but I do feel a person who say lives in London can have as much compassion for say a Liverpool fan who's from the area.
Gingerfinch

Postby meninblue » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
clubcricketeradi wrote:

Plastic fans/glory hunters get resented because their support is narrow minded and sheltered compared to active football supporters.

I agree Alviro but I do feel a person who say lives in London can have as much compassion for say a Liverpool fan who's from the area.

Yes, that is also possible. I actually support some other country players as much as i support Indian players.
meninblue

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum