The Football League 2013/14 season

The beautiful game!

Re: The Football League 2013/14 season

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat May 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Phew!

You were safe when you sent your last post!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:

I didn't realise, tbh. Looking forward to the Luton games next season, and hopefully having a better season.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat May 03, 2014 9:41 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:

I didn't realise, tbh. Looking forward to the Luton games next season, and hopefully having a better season.

Why the Luton games?
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun May 04, 2014 6:51 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:

Why the Luton games?

A mate of mine is a Luton fan, so we haven't had the chance to go and watch us for a few seasons. I don't go to Wycombe games so much, so home and away to Luton will be a good reason to.

Derby vs Wigan in the play-off final?
Gingerfinch

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun May 04, 2014 11:32 am

Dr Robert wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:

Why the Luton games?

A mate of mine is a Luton fan, so we haven't had the chance to go and watch us for a few seasons. I don't go to Wycombe games so much, so home and away to Luton will be a good reason to.

Derby vs Wigan in the play-off final?

I did say Wigan a few weeks ago, but they have been a bit up and down in recent weeks. I'm going to sit on the fence and say wide open. Seen all four teams this season and didn't rate any of them when they came to Dean Court.

I used to go and watch Luton alot in the eighties when I lived in St Albans. Paul Walsh, Ricky Hill, Brian Stein, a fabulous team back then.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Derby will beat us, they won both games in the regular season, and our lack of goals against top sides (ignoring the 4-1 vs Leicester) is a worry.

At least its not P*****e knocking us out this time
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Sun May 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Budget

The glory years? Didn't they win the League cup in the late 80's? They did have some pretty good players around that time.
Gingerfinch

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 05, 2014 11:03 am

Dr Robert wrote:Budget

The glory years? Didn't they win the League cup in the late 80's? They did have some pretty good players around that time.

I think you might be right, but to be honest with you I only watched their home games between 82 and 86 when I was in the area, and when I moved away I only followed their results vaguely. At the same time i used to watch Watford because their home games alternated with Lutons. Watford had John Barnes, Luther Blissett, Mo Johnstone, and the like in the side around that time. Incidentally Watford and Luton were and are massive rivals so for someone to follow both teams was not the done thing. To be honest I was football crazy at the time and went to as many first division games as I could to get my fill not to mention England internationals at Wembley.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 05, 2014 12:05 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:

I think you might be right, but to be honest with you I only watched their home games between 82 and 86 when I was in the area, and when I moved away I only followed their results vaguely. At the same time i used to watch Watford because their home games alternated with Lutons. Watford had John Barnes, Luther Blissett, Mo Johnstone, and the like in the side around that time. Incidentally Watford and Luton were and are massive rivals so for someone to follow both teams was not the done thing. To be honest I was football crazy at the time and went to as many first division games as I could to get my fill not to mention England internationals at Wembley.

Didn't Blissett get sold to AC MIlan by mistake? Milan thought they were signing Barnes. This could be one of those Football myths of course.
Gingerfinch

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon May 05, 2014 5:03 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:

Didn't Blissett get sold to AC MIlan by mistake? Milan thought they were signing Barnes. This could be one of those Football myths of course.

I never heard that theory, he was on fire the season when Watford finished runners up to Liverpool and he did score a hat trick for England, so its unlikely. Barnesy was a much better player overall although never for England. For some reason for England he seemed to impose some shackles on himself which he could never break free from. In my mind he was up there in the top five players to ever play for Liverpool.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 pm

Barnes had the odd great moment for England, but like other players of the same ilk, like Waddle, Le-Tiss, and even Gazza to a certain extent, was never consistently good for England. Gazza's was partly due to him acting like a prat in the 91 cup final.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 06, 2014 8:25 am

Dr Robert wrote:Barnes had the odd great moment for England, but like other players of the same ilk, like Waddle, Le-Tiss, and even Gazza to a certain extent, was never consistently good for England. Gazza's was partly due to him acting like a prat in the 91 cup final.

England never did anything because their teams were light years behind in terms of tactics and fitness. While they were still eating badly and drinking a lot, most other teams were far more disciplined.

The strange thing about the 1980's for England was the amount of technically brilliant players we had compared to any other era in my lifetime. If only they had the coaching and tactical awareness to be better!!

In 1982 we got knocked out without losing a game, and we played the two pre-tournie favourites... and in 1990 we managed to draw with one of the best teams in World Cup history... and in 1986 got done by an unfair goal and FIFA's official best goal of international history.

Those teams did pretty well
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Tue May 06, 2014 8:55 am

We also beat a superb France team 3-1 in 82. Best leave the Euro's out of it when talking of 80's Football and England.
Gingerfinch

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun May 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Derby are 2-0 up against Brighton, thats them safely through to the final.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sun May 11, 2014 7:22 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Derby are 2-0 up against Brighton, thats them safely through to the final.

Not sure Sussex will be that fussed, he doesn't appear to be as big a fan of modern Brighton FC.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum