FIFA World Cup group stages

The beautiful game!

Re: FIFA World Cup group stages

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:27 am

Dr Robert wrote:I'm with you budget, the keeper is definitely getting there, if he dives. As I've said, he may not have saved it, as it may have been a weak hand. Gotta try though. Every keeper in the world would same the same as well, I would think.

Say that shot is at normal pace, about 60mph(conservative estimate), which I think is 26 meters per second, if the ball at that point is about 10 yards, give or take 9 meters away from goal, this means at the point of that picture being taken the time in which the keeper has to close down the space is 0.34 seconds.. after that the ball has crossed the line.

From the picture, I would guess the keeper is about 2 to 2.5 meters away from the goal edge, which means he is 5 to 5.5 meters away from the point the ball crosses the line. The keeper is 1.89 meters....his arms probably add a meter when fully stretched. So we can subtract the keepers height from the space he needs to close down, and give him an extra meter for the height of his outstretched arms, leaving him about 2-2.5 meters.

We will use the 2.5 meters because lets be fair, he doesn't travel sideways instantaneously, he loses time in contracting muscles to do it, so the above calculations are highly favourable to him. In order to close down the ball he has to travel 2.5 meters in 0.34 seconds. This equates to a speed of 7.35 Ms, or approximately 16.5 miles per hour.

When Usain Bolt ran his 9.58sec 100 meter record, he ran the first 20 meters at slightly less than this speed, accelerating quite sharply after the first few meters. I think he took about a second to get to 4 or 5 meters, that's how slow the reaction is. His reaction time was also 0.15 seconds, the time it took for his brain to tell his muscles to kick in and for them to react (as the goalie would if he were to dive)

The fastest man in the world couldn't have got to the ball in time, the Nigeria goal keeper had not a zip of a chance.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:09 pm

sussexpob wrote:
shankycricket wrote:
dan08 wrote:
shankycricket wrote:Very poor match... France were very disappointing. :no

Only played about 5 of their usual XI though.

Yep, should've still comfortably beaten this Ecuador side though. Missed some easy chances.

Thought France played pretty well, just didn't put the ball in the net.

It seemed at times like they were only playing to try and get Benzema the golden boot and tried to tee him up at every opportunity even when they had better options available, and then gave up on that and just started shooting from anywhere.

Pogba is absolutely useless and how he gets into their side is beyond me, I watch a lot of Juve games and I have never seen anything special from him.

On the plus side, I thought Schneiderlin had a decent game, certainly didn't look out of place or let anyone down.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:11 pm

I haven't seem much if anything of Pogba, but he does have talent at least. The missed header was bad, mind. Didn't France have a few players? It's them vs Germany in the quarters if all goes to plan. That should be a good game.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:14 pm

Pogba is absolutely useless

Crazy talk. The bloke have a hammer shot, he is strong and tackles well, he can pass, he is quick, decent in the air....

Personally think he is the most complete central midfielder I have seen in a decade.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:21 pm

He has about 10 shots a game, and 1 in 100 goes in, a bit like Gerrard and his passes. He tries to run through players like Yaya Toure does and doesn't have the power to do it, losing it often.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but he looks like a fish out of water against half decent sides.
SaintPowelly

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:48 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:He has about 10 shots a game, and 1 in 100 goes in, a bit like Gerrard and his passes. He tries to run through players like Yaya Toure does and doesn't have the power to do it, losing it often.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but he looks like a fish out of water against half decent sides.

Is he 20? 21? True, he tries a lot at the moment, but when he learns to the control that, you don't want to be playing against a play with such a high range of ability.

sussexpob

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:56 pm

I don't want to judge him on potential too much, but France and Juve look stronger without him IMO.

Should of been banned after the Ecuador game too.
SaintPowelly

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:57 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:I don't want to judge him on potential too much, but France and Juve look stronger without him IMO.

What did he do?
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:03 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
SaintPowelly wrote:I don't want to judge him on potential too much, but France and Juve look stronger without him IMO.

What did he do?

About 3-4 players elbowed Ecuadorian players in yesterdays game, Giroud did it twice.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:04 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:

What did he do?

About 3-4 players elbowed Ecuadorian players in yesterdays game, Giroud did it twice.

Blimey, mised that. Had it on the laptop, but was watching on and off.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:08 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:

What did he do?

Blimey, mised that. Had it on the laptop, but was watching on and off.

Ecuador made a point of hugging French attackers to stop them moving, their response was to elbow them.

I don't think Pogba was involved, I think it was Sakho who was guilty of the most obvious one. Deschamps withdrew him from the match just after on the understanding that retroactive punishment would be made, and he needed to give game time to another CB in preparation for the 2nd round.

Giroud did twice also, I think Benzema flicked one, not sure I remember Pogba doing it

sussexpob

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:13 pm

sorry, i meant Honduraus when lying on the floor, he booted a player and got a yellow.
SaintPowelly

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:25 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:sorry, i meant Honduraus when lying on the floor, he booted a player and got a yellow.

Honduras had spent 30 minutes kicking ten bells of shite out of France, and Palacios had just tried to snap his ankle in half.... It was a red for Palacios, booking for Pogba imo.

How that game ended 10 men to 11 men is beyond me. An over zealous ref could have shown at least 9 red cards that game.

sussexpob

Postby SaintPowelly » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:50 pm

I agree with you in principle and many would have lashed out, but 2 wrongs don't make a right and it was a red card offence.
SaintPowelly

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:00 pm

It looked more like he tripped him up saint. Yellow for me.
Gingerfinch

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum