Premiership 2014/2015

The beautiful game!

Re: Premiership 2014/2015

Postby sussexpob » Sat May 16, 2015 10:57 pm

st_brendy wrote:I'd rather listen to the likes of Zidane and Henry, who rated Gerrard very highly. I suspect they know football talent when they see it. Oh, and as for the ghost goal, for the final time (how many times over the years does it need to be said?!), had the goal not been given, almost certaintly Liverpool would have had a penalty and Cech would have been sent off.

Garcia's foot was pretty high, the only way he won the ball was to then clatter into Cech, and to be perfectly frank once the foot is that high in a 50-50 challenge, it should be a foul for dangerous play.

So the point is utterly mute. The ball clearly didnt cross the line... I think your profile's "soft spot for Liverpool" might be clouding your judgement here.

Gualliam Ballague (Ive spelt that wrong) actually once said on spanish football that Real Madrid's bosses actually never put a bid in for Gerrard when managers asked, Florentino Perez didnt rate him.

He knows something about players quality too..... he has overseen the player acquisitions and management of a team that have won in 3 or 4 Champions League wins, which I think is the most anyone has ever been responsible for.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sat May 16, 2015 11:01 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Carvers an absolute pr*ck aswell, started a fight with Osvaldo last season and went to the Newcastle fans at St.Marys and told them to f*ck off.

I think that goes without saying. If I played for Newcastle I would refuse to play for him after his comments on Williamson, and your aforementioned comment about him "being the best manager" puts the icing on an already hugely overdone cake
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby st_brendy » Sat May 16, 2015 11:20 pm

De Rossi:

"Gerrard has been my idol for ten years and is one of the best players in the world. He is an example of what all midfielders aspire to".

Sir Alex:

"He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more".

Hiddink:

"I love Gerrard's qualities as a player and as a leader. Technically and tactically he is the best. A man who carries the love for his club on his club badge".

Kaka:

"An excellent player, in my opinion, he is a modern day player who runs, marks, knows how to pass, cross, score goals, and he is a leader on the field for Liverpool. So he is a player I would like to have in my team".

Henry:

"I can't think of a striker who has scored so many important goals, let alone a midfielder".

Marchisio:

"I have never seen such a complete midfielder".

Ronaldinho:

"For me, in the position he plays, he is one of the very best in the world".

Totti:

"Gerrard would be the captain of my world XI dream team".

Vieira:

"Gerrard is England's best player. His is the complete player. He can score, he has a great final ball, he can tackle, and he drives his team forward. He is a winner on the pitch".

Zidane:

"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Messi and Ronaldo but yes, I think he might just be".

But yes, lets ignore all of those quotes from all of those people, and instead focus on Perez not rating Gerrard. I mean, fair play to Perez, he was pretty much the only person who recognised the talent of Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Beckham etc. His eye for talent is clearly off the scale.

That is that though for me. I wont be continuing this debate any further. I never like to get into a debate when the opponent is clearly exceptionally biased with absolutely no prospect of changing their view. The debate will never reach a conclusion, hence having it is pointless. As I say, I'm happy that some of the biggest names in football agree how good he is. That'll do me!
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sat May 16, 2015 11:57 pm

sussexpob wrote:
One of England's greats in what at one time was an awesome England team

Awesome England teams that never beat anyone remotely considered as a contender in a major tournament while Gerrard was around. Interestingly, last time we did beat a decent team was in 2002, when Scholes was in his position and we beat the 1st or 2nd favourites for the tournament (and did not disgrace ourselves in losing to the other favourite in the end, who won the tournament and are arguably the best Brazil team since 1970).

No he didn't, No midfield player at that time played in their natural position. Lampard, Scholes, Beckham and Gerrard just did not work together and all suffered due to the fact the managers of England could not make a tough decision. But only one player decided to stop representing his country because he got played out of position.

Sven Goran Eriksson had a brain meltdown sometime before the 2004 Euro's, as he switched from a relatively successful system, dropped Butt, and put Gerrard and Lampard together. It is key to note here that Scholes was put on the left wing despite having the least compatibility out of all the players who could have. And Erikkson hardly showed faith in him in that position, he was subbed in every single match he played there, often replaced by pure and utter rubbish (Heskey and DARIUS VASSELL). There was no "tough" decision, he simply made a bad one that never paid of, the results of 10 years failure proved that with Lampard and Gerrard never playing well together.

To take the Guardian's article from that day as evidence.... they summed up England's 2004 exit to Portugal as.....

(a performance that has) raised a whole new battalion of critics here. Enjoying a 1-0 lead that had been attained with a balanced approach, the manager sought to retain it by replacing Paul Scholes......... as in the defeat by France, the opposition were offered the initiative and snapped it up.

England were leading in both the Portugal and France games very late, but allowed teams to come into the game after Scholes skills on the ball were taken away, and this put pressure onto the team.

To be perfectly frank, if I was Scholes I would have been utterly insulted. I could list basically every single person in football's thoughts on him.... literally, mention any midfielder or manager of his playing career, all praise Paul Scholes, with many of the greatest players around him saying he was the best player to have played.... Xavi, Zidane, Iniesta, Guardiola.... I could go on, even Messi says they had whole lessons on him at la mesia to learn how to play in the creative hole.Scholes was THAT good. By far and away the best English midfielder of our life time.

IF you were Glenn McGrath and Steve Waugh told you to bowl leg breaks for a whole world cup,would you stick around?

:lmao I'm so sorry you are so miserable Sussex. I would fly you here to Utah and take you to the Canyon Lands so you could experience a truly uplifting moment, but if you stood under the Delicate Arch it would most likely collapse.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 17, 2015 12:03 am

Apart from the Italian based players in that list, the others excluded the words "one of the best"or similar meanings when talking about Scholes. Zidane, for instance, said he "undoubtedly" the best midfielder of his generation, and Vieria said he was the one player he hated playing against, saying another time he was the only player that everyone at Arsenal hated playing against.

But yes, lets ignore all of those quotes from all of those people, and instead focus on Perez not rating Gerrard. I mean, fair play to Perez, he was pretty much the only person who recognised the talent of Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Beckham etc. His eye for talent is clearly off the scale.

Perez signs the very best players he can, I think without exception (apart from Barcelona players now) he could have signed anyone he saw fit, after all you look at all the other big teams in football, Real have either sold them their best players or bought them, and he simply buys whoever the fans want to see. To me that is proof that Gerrard was not seen at that level of world class player, he was never a "galactico".

I would also debate that, at any given stage in his career, he was the best player at Liverpool...... Owen, Torres, Xavi Alonso, Suarez and Mascherano are all players that were, imo, better than him.

The truth is, he was content with being a big fish in a small pond, and he never played at a team which aspired to consistently achieve trophies. I think that says it all, he must have known himself deep down that he wouldnt have cut it in a bigger team.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 17, 2015 12:34 am

:lmao I'm so sorry you are so miserable Sussex. I would fly you here to Utah and take you to the Canyon Lands so you could experience a truly uplifting moment, but if you stood under the Delicate Arch it would most likely collapse.

If I stood under the Delicate Arch in Canyonlands National Park that would be TRULY uplifting. After all, Delicate Arch is in Arches National Park, so to live through such a miracle would undeniably make me a little less miserable. Maybe we could go to Zion National Park after and climb Everest? Id like that.......

To be honest though, I have been to Arches National Park already, so maybe we could drive North to Yellowstone instead? I havent been there.

sussexpob

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sun May 17, 2015 1:19 am

sussexpob wrote:

If I stood under the Delicate Arch in Canyonlands National Park that would be TRULY uplifting. After all, Delicate Arch is in Arches National Park, so to live through such a miracle would undeniably make me a little less miserable. Maybe we could go to Zion National Park after and climb Everest? Id like that.......

To be honest though, I have been to Arches National Park already, so maybe we could drive North to Yellowstone instead? I havent been there.

Never mentioned anything about a national park. :facepalm
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 am

The Waugh Twins wrote:
sussexpob wrote:

Never mentioned anything about a national park. :facepalm

Yeah Steve I dudn't ivan know dare wiz a nutional perk culled da cunyan linds.
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sun May 17, 2015 2:25 am

oops I luv sussexx cause e is sich a luzzer und in need of frinds.
The Waugh Twins

Postby Aidan11 » Sun May 17, 2015 10:26 am

Only one more game to go and the Stevie G Love-In will be over.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby ddb » Sun May 17, 2015 4:42 pm

Removed some needless posts from this thread that were just spam really.

Back to football. United winning 1-0 so far, Falcao looking gone still. Would have played Wilson personally.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Aidan11 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:43 pm

Attack of the Giant Fly there.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Aidan11 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:30 pm

Valdes makes his Man U debut.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby Aidan11 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:43 pm

Squeaky bum time.
2012 TV Cup Winner
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
Aidan11

Postby dan08 » Sun May 17, 2015 5:54 pm

Should've won that. Good to see Valdes finally get some match time.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

PreviousNext