FIFA World Cup knockout stages

The beautiful game!

Re: FIFA World Cup knockout stages

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:51 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:Scheduling is a joke, under NO circumstances should the Semis be played on seperate days.

:thumb I can't remember but have they ever scheduled it like that in the past. Total right though especially soccer. Think it was done to favour the host nation perhaps. :dunno
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:05 pm

Ridiculous decision to give Messi the Golden Ball (as much as I love him). Feels like a consolation prize. Robben, James and Mascherano were comfortably better in the tournament. Had to be Robben really.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:09 pm

I would of given it to Schurrle.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby dan08 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Muller had to win the Golden Ball IMO. 2nd most goals, 3rd most assists and to top it all off he's on the winning side.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby dan08 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:14 pm

Muller ended up with the Silver Ball, Robben Bronze.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby shankycricket » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:15 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:I would of given it to Schurrle.

Super sub, maybe.

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Postby The Waugh Twins » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:33 am

don't get any of the balls, sounds like you would never be able to play with them.
The Waugh Twins

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:58 am

dan08 wrote:James wins the Golden Boot and i win £175. :dance

Nice pick! :clap
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:25 am

SaintPowelly wrote:I would of given it to Schurrle.

Schurrle played 15 minutes of a first half in the tournament, and that was against a team who had played two consecutive 120 minute games, and had one days less rest.

While he played well, I wonder how many other players may have looked incredible had they played so little, and often against starting XI's forced through many minutes of football.

That's why Germany won it... incredible depth. Would Gotze and Schurrle have done that if they had played as many minutes as Messi?

Cant give it to the super sub.... two of his three goals were the 6th and 7th of a game, hardly "deadly"!!
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:44 am

shankycricket wrote:Ridiculous decision to give Messi the Golden Ball (as much as I love him). Feels like a consolation prize. Robben, James and Mascherano were comfortably better in the tournament. Had to be Robben really.

Yawn.... Messi had a brilliant game yesterday, save for the goal that never was. It seems people expect him to beat 7 men every attack to be acceptable. His subtle touch, and the quick acceleration of play was behind virtually everything that Argentina did this World Cup, he was really good.

And when he didn't play well, it was because he was treble marked.... when you play alongside Mascherano (no attacking prowess), an injured Aguero and half fit Higuain, Perez and Biglia as your midfield support, you don't have much to back you up.... but think, Holland tore Spain apart, but didn't commit ANYONE forward when Messi was against them... they were scared to leave their own half!!! So he didn't do much that game, but no one would have.... its ok to say German players would have, but then I am sure Messi would have destroyed teams if he had Schurrle/Gotze/Mueller/Ozeil, etc to work with. He setup Di Maria for the winner against Switzerland, and then Di Maria got injured.... after that Sabella even had to go to Aguero, who clearly couldn't move!!

Given half a yard space, in most games he made the difference, and he and Javier dragged what was an immensely average team with key players not fit, and took them to a World Cup final which they should have won.

But hey.... join all the other jealous pundits who are looking for a new tagline because "Messi being brilliant" doesn't sell the papers like "Messi isn't Maradona"........

sussexpob

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 am

First European team to win is South America. Only taken 84 years (Or 20 World Cups).
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 am

not sure that I'd have given Messi the golden ball. Great player though he is, he didn't quite light up the tournament the way he perhaps could have. I imagine he got the award more on reputation as the (undoubted) greatest player in the world atm.

I'd have probably given the award to Schweinsteiger. He didn't content himself with moments of magic in the group stages, he grabbed the big games by the throat and dominated everything.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:45 am

decent enough final, for once, despite the lack of goals.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby shankycricket » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:03 pm

sussexpob wrote:
shankycricket wrote:Ridiculous decision to give Messi the Golden Ball (as much as I love him). Feels like a consolation prize. Robben, James and Mascherano were comfortably better in the tournament. Had to be Robben really.

Yawn.... Messi had a brilliant game yesterday, save for the goal that never was. It seems people expect him to beat 7 men every attack to be acceptable. His subtle touch, and the quick acceleration of play was behind virtually everything that Argentina did this World Cup, he was really good.

And when he didn't play well, it was because he was treble marked.... when you play alongside Mascherano (no attacking prowess), an injured Aguero and half fit Higuain, Perez and Biglia as your midfield support, you don't have much to back you up.... but think, Holland tore Spain apart, but didn't commit ANYONE forward when Messi was against them... they were scared to leave their own half!!! So he didn't do much that game, but no one would have.... its ok to say German players would have, but then I am sure Messi would have destroyed teams if he had Schurrle/Gotze/Mueller/Ozeil, etc to work with. He setup Di Maria for the winner against Switzerland, and then Di Maria got injured.... after that Sabella even had to go to Aguero, who clearly couldn't move!!

Given half a yard space, in most games he made the difference, and he and Javier dragged what was an immensely average team with key players not fit, and took them to a World Cup final which they should have won.

But hey.... join all the other jealous pundits who are looking for a new tagline because "Messi being brilliant" doesn't sell the papers like "Messi isn't Maradona"........

Erm, when did I say he hasn't had a good tournament? :? Although I disagree that he had a "brilliant" game yesterday. On the whole, he has had a good tournament but definitely not the best player of the tournament or even in the top 5, for that matter. Whether he'd have been better with a stronger midfield is of course conjecture. I am sure he would have and I'm not saying Robben, James, etc are better players than him but you can only go based on what happened and not "what would've happened". And in my opinion, there were at least 5-6 players more deserving of the Golden Ball (which includes a couple of goalkeepers).

shankycricket

Postby The Waugh Twins » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:08 pm

I watched all of Argentina's matches and Messi was brilliant saving them at the last minute and producing a fantastic free kick. he was great in the final also, but lacked support from his midfield. He made at least 3 awesome runs down the left and nearly scored twice. He totally deserved the ball of gold.

Can't give it to Robben simply because of the diving. I noticed a number of the Germans whom play in zee Bund assleiga were also worthy of Oscars, but that's the only gold statue I would give them. Clearly it must be a bit of an epidemic diving in the German league.

As far as anyone else perhaps, but Maradona confirmed Messi was the right choice by saying it was the wrong choice. The day I agree with that old has been is the day I'm a geriatric.

Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi, Messi. :bow:
The Waugh Twins

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum