Football league 2014/15

The beautiful game!

Re: Football league 2014/15

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon May 25, 2015 12:40 pm

Poor Nigel Clough out of a job after being sacked at Sheffield United. If a 5th place finish in a fiercely competitive league and reaching the League Cup semi-finals is deemed as a sackable offence, then professional football might as well go into extinction.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 25, 2015 12:51 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Poor Nigel Clough out of a job after being sacked at Sheffield United. If a 5th place finish in a fiercely competitive league and reaching the League Cup semi-finals is deemed as a sackable offence, then professional football might as well go into extinction.

He was probably told at the start of the season that promotion was his only aim, his own fault if he prioritized cup over league.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby st_brendy » Mon May 25, 2015 1:05 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:Poor Nigel Clough out of a job after being sacked at Sheffield United. If a 5th place finish in a fiercely competitive league and reaching the League Cup semi-finals is deemed as a sackable offence, then professional football might as well go into extinction.

A club as big as Sheff Utd should not be in L1. He's been given a reasonable amount of time to get them out of the league, and has failed. Someone else's turn.

Makes perfect sense to me.

For similar reasons, I would not be surprised if Derby let McClaren go. "You've had your chance. Now it's someone else's turn to achieve our goal".
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 25, 2015 1:10 pm

st_brendy wrote:

A club as big as Sheff Utd should not be in L1. He's been given a reasonable amount of time to get them out of the league, and has failed. Someone else's turn.

For similar reasons, I would not be surprised if Derby let McClaren go. "You've had your chance. Now it's someone else's turn to achieve our goal".

:thumb
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon May 25, 2015 3:00 pm

st_brendy wrote:

19 months at the job, half of which was spent avoiding relegation to League 2 is not a reasonable amount of time to win promotion to the Championship. If promotion was ever going to be a requirement it would be next season, where Nigel has already laid out a platform. No doubt the next manager will want to implement his own squad and ideas, which is likely to take time to come into fruititon.

Time will tell who will be the next Sheffield United manager. Unless if it is a manager who has a track record of winning promotion in a short time frame (Nigel Adkins or Steve Evans), Sheffield United being involved in another relegation battle can not be ruled out due to the competitive nature of League 1.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby st_brendy » Mon May 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
st_brendy wrote:

19 months at the job, half of which was spent avoiding relegation to League 2 is not a reasonable amount of time to win promotion to the Championship. If promotion was ever going to be a requirement it would be next season, where Nigel has already laid out a platform. No doubt the next manager will want to implement his own squad and ideas, which is likely to take time to come into fruititon.

Time will tell who will be the next Sheffield United manager. Unless if it is a manager who has a track record of winning promotion in a short time frame (Nigel Adkins or Steve Evans), Sheffield United being involved in another relegation battle can not be ruled out due to the competitive nature of League 1.

7 months to look at your squad and start to get your ideas across. A summer transfer window. A full season to have a go at promotion. Yep, when you're a big fish in a small pond, that is reasonable enough time in my book.

We kicked Pardew out after just one L1 season, and he even had the excuse of us starting on -10 and having had no prior time managing the team. And what a fantastic decision it turned out to be.
Last edited by st_brendy on Mon May 25, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Norwich unleashing the beast here
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon May 25, 2015 4:55 pm

Norwich go up. Let's be avin em.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon May 25, 2015 4:59 pm

st_brendy wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
st_brendy wrote:

7 months to look at your squad and start to get your ideas across. A summer transfer window. A full season to have a go at promotion. Yep, when you're a big fish in a small pond, that is reasonable enough time in my book.

We kicked Pardew out after just one L1 season, and he even had the excuse of us starting on -10 and having had no prior time managing the team. And what a fantastic decision it turned out to be.

Not when Clough's remit at the time was avoid relegation and Sheffield United spent much of 2013-14 in and around the relegation zone.

By November only Bristol City, Swindon, Preston and MK Dons had any chance of automatic promotion. Sheffield United at best could finish 5th and did just that on the back of three cup runs, a hectic fixture list towards the business end of the season and against 8 or so clubs who were firmly in playoff contention by Easter Weekend.

What Southampton have done in the last five years should be used to aspire other similar sized clubs, not set an example. There are a dozen or so clubs in League One who are capable of promotion in their own rights.

Alviro Patterson

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 25, 2015 5:14 pm

The thing that your not grasing AP, is you don't know what Clough was told when he got the job, if he was told that he MUST win promotion ( like Pardew was ) and he focused his energy on cups intsead, then thats his fault and he deserves to go.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby st_brendy » Mon May 25, 2015 5:18 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
st_brendy wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
st_brendy wrote:

Not when Clough's remit at the time was avoid relegation and Sheffield United spent much of 2013-14 in and around the relegation zone.

By November only Bristol City, Swindon, Preston and MK Dons had any chance of automatic promotion. Sheffield United at best could finish 5th and did just that on the back of three cup runs, a hectic fixture list towards the business end of the season and against 8 or so clubs who were firmly in playoff contention by Easter Weekend.

What Southampton have done in the last five years should be used to aspire other similar sized clubs, not set an example. There are a dozen or so clubs in League One who are capable of promotion in their own rights.

That's not something to be proud of!

Missing out on automatic promotion on the final day, for example, is one thing. Being out of the race by as early as November is quite another!! One could argue that he's been lucky to survive this long, on that basis. (Not me, I agree that the board were right to stick with him given that the play-offs could have brought promotion)

I would be amazed if the board didn't tell him at the start of the season that promotion was the goal. Sheff Utd are simply too big for L1.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby st_brendy » Mon May 25, 2015 6:04 pm

What was I saying? McClaren has been sacked by Derby.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru

st_brendy

Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby Aidan11 » Mon May 25, 2015 6:06 pm

So that's Clough back to Derby, McClaren to Newcastle and Big Sam to Sheff Utd.

:fight
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 25, 2015 7:39 pm

Norwich were exceptional today. Defended superbly, and killed the game of with ruthless intent early. Middlesbrough's nerves got the better of them at the start, and they were punished. It was a replay in opposite of the league match last month.

Alex Reid has done an amazing job, interesting to see what he does in the Premier League......

Norwich and Bournemouth have two of the most exciting young coaches in football, so relegation might be a real battle next year.

sussexpob

Previous

Return to Football Forum