Premiership 2015/2016

The beautiful game!

Re: Premiership 2015/2016

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:18 am

I guess Liverpool's deal for Firmino means that Sterling is of.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:45 am

yuppie wrote:I guess Liverpool's deal for Firmino means that Sterling is of.

Doesn't he play in the same role as Coutinho?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:00 am

I thought he was a striker? I will admit to knowing nothing about him, just going by the BBC.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:18 am

Gingerfinch wrote:I thought he was a striker? I will admit to knowing nothing about him, just going by the BBC.

As far as I have seen for Brazil and in the admittedly very few times I have seen him play in Germany, he has either been a conventional winger in a 4-4-2 system, or plays as the more advanced playmaker behind the striker in a 4-5-1 system for Brazil. Judging on his goal scoring record (one season in double figures) I would hope he is a midfielder if I were Liverpool fans.

To be honest, he reminds me of Obasi and Demba Ba in the way that he has been touted at Hoffeinheim for a move up for several years without people actually offering money for him... in the case of the first two, that was obviously down to the fact the scouts were never fully convinced, and Firmino I thinkis slightly in the same boat, but has moved slightly earlier.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:53 am

I have not seen anywhere near enough of Firmino to comment.

I thought he played in as a attacking midfielder/winger whilst also able to play up front. He has scored 47 goals in Germany in 150 games and is only 23. One would expect that ratio to improve with age. That is a better ratio than Sterling, but what else does he bring? Is he good at running at defenders, setting up goals, running off the ball?

Also how long till he settles into the Liverpool team.

One thing that is good for Liverpool is that they seem to be getting their transfers done early. Now they just need to get rid of some of the dead wood. Anyone bidding for Mario.....
yuppie

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:00 am

Also noticed that Vieira reckons Man City have competition for Sterlings signature.

Who else is bidding for him, as it seems only City have shown an interest.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:04 am

yuppie wrote:I thought he played in as a attacking midfielder/winger whilst also able to play up front. He has scored 47 goals in Germany in 150 games and is only 23

Hard to judge, but its a decent ratio I guess for a player so young in a top league. To compare, Dzeko was slightly older when he came to Man City, and he had 66 goals in 111 games from the same league.... and he is a player who, in the prem, is good enough for top 4 teams, probably not to start though, or a top player for 5-8th place teams.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:13 am

Probably worth the risk but am sure Liverpool fans will be expecting the next Saurez/Torress.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:22 am

It does always feel like Liverpool's transfer policy is part of the reason they are not consistently in the top 4 or haven't won a league in a while. Lots of short term fixes, losts of money wasted by being spread around massive squads.

I mean its horrifying to think that Liverpool's spent 25 million on Lallana, 25 Million on Henderson, 15 on Joe Allen, 20 on Markovic... would any of those get into the teams above them in the league? I doubt it really, maybe Henderson on form, maybe Lallana here and there, but the other two aren't good enough.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:25 am

The top players won't go to Liverpool though. I know Suarez is, but he was still a bit of a risk at the time. They need to hope they find another like him, or bring some decent youth players through.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:25 am

In fact, I find it quite laughable at times when journo's or fans say "yeah,but x/y/z has had loads of money"..... lots of managers have the money, Liverpool has spent loads of it without really going anywhere with it.

One of the facts about Jose Mourinho that makes him so much of a good manager is, he hardly ever buys bad players. And when he does buy players who don't fit into his system or club, he sells them usually for a huge profit. EG Schurrle/De Bruyne.... hardly played for Chelsea, sold for huge profits. Buys guys for 20 million, 95% of the time they are bang on the money, straight into the team.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:36 am

Liverpool seem to have a habit of buying the second and third best British player in a certain position at any one time. As you say they seem to spend good money on players not quite good enough to have them challenging.

So far this season Ings and Milner seems like good transfers due to the limited outlay they have had to make. Henderson has started to show his worth and is becoming a lot more consistent as well as showing himself to be a leader. But getting another forward player seems strange considering defensively they have more problems. Johnson is gone now i believe, not to mention the back line and Mignolet seem very weak.

And if they don't sell this season they could be left with a huge amount of forwards doing nothing other than taking home a good wage. Lambert, Borini, Mario, Sturridge, Sterling, Origi, Firmino. I'm guessing they would like 3 off those 7 off the books.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:44 am

Gingerfinch wrote:The top players won't go to Liverpool though

Chelsea's current squad....

Courtious - Signed from Genk
Cech - Signed from Rennes
Ivanovic - Lokomotiv Moscow
Zouma - Saint Etienne
Cahill - Bolton
Azpilicueta - Marseille
Ramirez and Matic - Benfica
Willian - Anzhi
John Obi Mikel - FC Lyn
Cuaradado - Fiorentina
Salah - Basel
Remy - QPR
Hazard - Lille
Oscar - International Sporting Club, Port Alegre

The biggest names on that list are probably Benfica, who Liverpool just bought Markovic from last season (considered their best player) and Marseille (who they bought Dijbril Cisse from years ago as their best player at a time the gap between leagues was much shorter).

The only two players you think they couldn't have bought.

Fabragas and Diego Costa..

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:46 am

Hazard was always going to one of the elite clubs, but yes, there are some bargains to be had.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:50 am

Gingerfinch wrote:Hazard was always going to one of the elite clubs, but yes, there are some bargains to be had.

Hazard was on the market for a long time, its just everyone thought "15 million for an 18 year old, nah"....

Next season, looks brilliant.... everyone said "20 million for a 19 year old, never played in a decent league, nah... well wait"....

Then again "25 million for a 20 year old!!!>!>!" Until he gets to 21 and someone ends up paying 30 million.

Hazard was the name on the block for a while, no one went to buy him. Had Liverpool been the one to say a year before Chelsea "here 25 million, heres 100k a week" he was theirs. Arsenal were favourite to sign him for about 2 years but wouldn't pay the cash.

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum