Premiership 2015/2016

The beautiful game!

Re: Premiership 2015/2016

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:51 am

Its ironic really, because Liverpool would end up wasting that money on a slightly older, inferior player time and time again, but truly exceptional talent they don't ever get involved with.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:52 am

Look at Sanchez. Liverpool thought they had him, then Arsenal come in and he goes there.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:58 am

Gingerfinch wrote:Look at Sanchez. Liverpool thought they had him, then Arsenal come in and he goes there.

Well that was the clubs fault. They could have tied Sanchez to the deal for Suarez, but incredibly they didn't for some reason as Sanchez wanted to go. They then didn't offer him competitive wages, which Liverpool have admitted they lost him to and regretted not offering him a bigger deal.

That one goes either way as an example, though. Sanchez would have signed for any team, and realistically would have been good enough to play in any team in the world..... and he was happy to sign for Liverpool until a better offer came. If they can attract a player from Barcelona of that calibre, then only the top 10 players in the world are out of bounds.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:59 am

Think Sanchez made the right choice for himself there. And if Arsenal do get Cech they have to be a chance next season. Specially if Walcott, Ramsey and Wiltshire can stay fit.

Its not all doom and gloom for liverpool though. The little i have seen of Jorden Ibe i have been impressed with.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:01 pm

The point is, if a player was being chased by a top four side, and Liverpool, most of them will choose a top four club. Same with managers. Will Klopp really go to Liverpool?
Gingerfinch

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:05 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:The point is, if a player was being chased by a top four side, and Liverpool, most of them will choose a top four club. Same with managers. Will Klopp really go to Liverpool?

Yep i agree with that.

Klopp might do, but mainly because he seems a bit different to other top managers.
yuppie

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:13 pm

yuppie wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:The point is, if a player was being chased by a top four side, and Liverpool, most of them will choose a top four club. Same with managers. Will Klopp really go to Liverpool?

Yep i agree with that.

Klopp might do, but mainly because he seems a bit different to other top managers.

I do and don't agree with it. Liverpool are not what you would call "top 4" nowadays, but they also have a history and prestiege that comes with winning the European cup the 3 most times. They are, and always will be, a draw to foreign players because of that history. Its interesting when you look at Liverpool's revenue streams for instance. Latest figures without taking into account their Champions League revenue from this year are really high, and will probably once accounting that extra money become level or fall just below that of Chelsea and Arsenal's.

Liverpool I think make the second most amount of money from foreign commercial sponsorship, merchandise and the like. That's clear proof of their reputation outside of the UK. With football in the UK gradually making its majority of revenue from foreign markets, you will see Liverpool getting stronger and stronger. Its no surprise, for instance, that Liverpool are the most keen of the Premier League clubs to play neutral venue league matches, the more you look outside the UK, the stronger they become in comparison to other teams.

Like Spurs, Liverpool are in their position outside the top 4 having spurned some good players and made good money simply because of their very poor reinvestment they have made.

Good leadership and a really strong manager can push Liverpool into a consistent force. Endlessly signing players of an average value to the squad is reaping what it sows.

I don't believe for one second that guys like Hazard wouldn't have signed for Liverpool at 19 if they had actually made an effort to get him.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:18 pm

In fact, probably a good comparison for Liverpool is Barcelona. Barcelona won two leagues in 31 years between 1960-91, yet they won the Champions League with a very strong team, and were still able to attract players because of a certain romance and history at the club. Even after the early 90's revival, I think Real dominated for another decade after. At that time, they lost all their players, and were never competing with a team as strong financially as Real, or as big a draw or wage paying.

Skip another decade, and Real (and Europe) are suffering that backlash. Big club, making the right long term decisions, investing in youth and along term plan.....

Liverpool haven't done that. Over the last 25-30 years they have pandered for instance success and never built a basis for future. Its no wonder Sterling wants to leave, had he seen a few big names joining him and a positive statement, he would stay and sign a deal.

Take a few years, make the right signings, build a consistent team and add quality to it.... at the moment they simply spunk money on crap without thinking how these players slot in, or what they have got already.

They had apparently 14 different players play in defence last year.... that's simply mental!

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:38 pm

Money and CL football talks. I doubt many top players will choose Liverpool over say City, who arguably the smallest club in our current top four.
Gingerfinch

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:49 pm

Liverpool with out a doubt still have a name that will attract great players, specially those that are younger. And they have invested badly over the last decade. I also agree they need to move more to youth which they seem to be doing at present.

The Liverpool academy will also need to start producing more players though there are a few players scattered around the first team now. The liverpool youth teams in the past have produced some amazing talent, and how they would now love for a new Gerrard, Fowler, Carragher or Owen to be coming through.
yuppie

Postby ddb » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:07 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 45233.html

Wonder what Sussex thinks about this development?

Personally would be happy if we get someone in return for losing De Gea.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:07 pm

ddb wrote:Wonder what Sussex thinks about this development?

Get down to Nordicbet and put on all the money you have on United getting most red cards for the season.... before he signs, the odds might still be worth it.

I think you know my opinion on him. Hot headed and error prone is not the way I like my defenders.

sussexpob

Postby st_brendy » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:53 pm

Schneiderlin to Utd looks like being confirmed any day now. Fee of around £24m, weekly wage of around £120k.

I've always said that Carrick was far too over-rated in that position. Similar to how Barry was seen as being crucial to England's midfield a few years back. To me, it says more about the team than the player, that these players are seen as being so important in the first XI. If the teams had better players for that position, then they wouldn't get a mention. Morgan is at least twice the player Carrick is. They've done really well to beat Arsenal to his signature, assuming the Gunners don't come in with a whopping last minute bid (in terms of fee and wage).

Not far off £40m for him and Clyne. Another good summer's work, so long as we once again reinvest it well.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby ntini77 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:54 pm

We appear to be in the market for three of the most promising young players in the game today - Pogba, Sterling and De Bruyne. Pogba will undoubtedly be the most challenging of the three to obtain, especially now that Barcelona have publicised their interest.
"If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious *modded*."

2009 The Ashes Prediction League Guru
NZ-Pak Tests prediction guru
2010 NZ-Aust Combined Prediction league guru
2011-2012 Premiership final placings guru
2013 SA-Pak ODIs prediction guru
2013 Masters golf prediction guru
2014 WI-NZ Tests fantasy guru
ntini77

Team(s) Supported: West Indies, Barbados, Kent, Man City

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:54 pm

st_brendy wrote:Schneiderlin to Utd looks like being confirmed any day now. Fee of around £24m, weekly wage of around £120k

Looks like its gone through now. Good signing for United that.

Real apparently want 63 million for Sergio Ramos.... that is absolutely CRAZY!

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum