Football League 15/16

The beautiful game!

Re: Football League 15/16

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat May 14, 2016 4:04 pm

That's a good question, I don't know the definitive answer.

I assumed straightaway, should be able to afford it now they get a share of the huge increase in TV money for next season.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun May 15, 2016 8:01 pm

Had the pleasure of witnessing Bradford conceding three soft goals in the playoff 1st leg against Millwall, along with Filipe Morais missing a sitter from open goal in the 2nd half :facepalm

A lot to do the New Den on Friday, but Millwall looked vulnerable in their back line and I feel there is another twist in the tale. It will have to take a Chelsea special for Bradford to go to Wembley.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 15, 2016 8:20 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote: e got slammed with a 6/7 million fine this season for a net overspend of over 30 million in our promotion year to the Premier League. Leicester overspent by about 55 million the year they got promoted, it was well worth their gamble!

Indeed. If the punishment for cheating so so lame, everyone will cheat.

Just look at Watford. Or should I say Granada.... or is it Udinese????
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun May 15, 2016 9:34 pm

Can see both sides of the argument with Financial Fair Play. On one hand it is necessary so clubs don't spend beyond their turnover and prevent going to the wall, on the other it puts smaller clubs at a disadvantage because they don't have the turnover (and parachute payments) to compete with the bigger clubs.

I am amazed how much debt Blackburn Rovers have racked up (£103 Million) and they were a sensible club in the Premier League. The rules of overspending seem to punish the clubs rather than the decision makers.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 16, 2016 9:03 pm

How are Brighton not winning this game
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon May 16, 2016 11:38 pm

So close, yet so far for Brighton. I suppose losing in a semi-final is not as painful as doing so at Wembley and teams in the Championship who miss out on promotion via the playoffs, often get promoted in the non too distant future.

The playoff format needs changing so those who finish 3rd (or 4th in League 2) have an advantage to the other three. Rather than the current 3rd v 6th, 4th v 5th two legged structure i'd introduce a qualifier/eliminator format similar to the IPL. Start off with 3rd v 4th in a one-off match - winner qualifies for the final, loser has a second chance. 5th v 6th also play a one-off match, winner of that game plays the loser of 3rd v 4th (away) to see which other team goes to Wembley.

Alviro Patterson

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 pm

Derby score 2... game on

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 pm

Yep, this is going to be an interesting second half.

Comon Hull :dance
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri May 20, 2016 10:42 pm

It wasn't to be for Bradford tonight as Millwall's defence stayed relatively firm and maintained the 2 goal advantage with a 1-1 draw. Scoring opportunities were very difficult to come by, though I felt Bradford's midfield was too flat overall and played into Millwall's hands.

A 5th place finish considering a slow start to the season and a number of long term injuries is a very good effort. I don't think the team needs changing too much to be honest. Just a case of replacing centre back Reece Burke and centre midfield Josh Cullen as they go back to West Ham, same with midfielder Lee Evans as he returns to Wolves. Would be happy if striker Jamie Proctor gets a longer term contract and if Tom Thorpe can make his loan move permanent.

Alviro Patterson

Postby st_brendy » Fri May 20, 2016 11:06 pm

yuppie wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
yuppie wrote:Actually looking at how much Derby have spent this season, if they don't go up, they will probably be in a similar position to Forest with FFP. Can not see how they would not be after spending 26 million :shock:

That's the gamble you take when go all out for promotion.

We got slammed with a 6/7 million fine this season for a net overspend of over 30 million in our promotion year to the Premier League. Leicester overspent by about 55 million the year they got promoted, it was well worth their gamble!

So when do you guys have to pay the fine, when you get relegated back into the football league? Or is it paid over this season?

My understanding is that it is payable (by any club) when the FL issue it. But they have no legal grounds to enforce it on a team who is not in the FL (ie they are in the PL instead) and the PL have no desire to fight the FL's corner for them. So for example QPR continued the whole way through the 2014/15 season having not paid their fine.

The issue, theoretically, comes to a head if and when that said club wishes to re-enter the FL (ie they get relegated from the PL, so wish to accept membership to the Championship). If you haven't paid up by that point, the FL can refuse you entry.

I say theoretically because I don't believe it ever publically got announced what happened with QPR last summer when they did get relegated. All we know is that they clearly were accepted entry into the Championship. But did they ever pay the fine? And if so, was it the full amount? Apparently it was in the region of £60m.

Anyway, I'm not sure that a fine would apply to Derby (though I may be wrong). Given that they remain a FL club, if they have broken FFP rules, then the FL are able to apply their preferred sanction of a points deduction. They can't do that to the likes of QPR and Bmouth, sides who get promoted and leave the FL, because they have no authority to deduct PL points. So a fine is the next best option.
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby wtachetna » Sat May 21, 2016 8:11 am

Football game is recently undergoing a continuous change of flux what with new rules proposed to make it more interesting and amazing. Check here
wtachetna

Postby yuppie » Sat May 21, 2016 8:14 am

st_brendy wrote:
yuppie wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
yuppie wrote:Actually looking at how much Derby have spent this season, if they don't go up, they will probably be in a similar position to Forest with FFP. Can not see how they would not be after spending 26 million :shock:

That's the gamble you take when go all out for promotion.

We got slammed with a 6/7 million fine this season for a net overspend of over 30 million in our promotion year to the Premier League. Leicester overspent by about 55 million the year they got promoted, it was well worth their gamble!

So when do you guys have to pay the fine, when you get relegated back into the football league? Or is it paid over this season?

My understanding is that it is payable (by any club) when the FL issue it. But they have no legal grounds to enforce it on a team who is not in the FL (ie they are in the PL instead) and the PL have no desire to fight the FL's corner for them. So for example QPR continued the whole way through the 2014/15 season having not paid their fine.

The issue, theoretically, comes to a head if and when that said club wishes to re-enter the FL (ie they get relegated from the PL, so wish to accept membership to the Championship). If you haven't paid up by that point, the FL can refuse you entry.

I say theoretically because I don't believe it ever publically got announced what happened with QPR last summer when they did get relegated. All we know is that they clearly were accepted entry into the Championship. But did they ever pay the fine? And if so, was it the full amount? Apparently it was in the region of £60m.

Anyway, I'm not sure that a fine would apply to Derby (though I may be wrong). Given that they remain a FL club, if they have broken FFP rules, then the FL are able to apply their preferred sanction of a points deduction. They can't do that to the likes of QPR and Bmouth, sides who get promoted and leave the FL, because they have no authority to deduct PL points. So a fine is the next best option.

Cheers for the explanation Bendy :thumb
yuppie

Postby Aidan11 » Tue May 24, 2016 2:30 pm

Don't do it Darrell. :facepalm
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Aidan11 » Wed May 25, 2016 7:42 pm

Rafa is staying on at Newcastle.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby yuppie » Wed May 25, 2016 7:51 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Rafa is staying on at Newcastle.

Certainly a big boost for Newcastle
yuppie

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum