Next England Manager

The beautiful game!

Re: Next England Manager

Postby from_the_stands » Sat Jul 02, 2016 7:34 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
from_the_stands wrote:Here's an idea; the FA could merge with Wales, replace the entire squad with the current Welsh team and sign Chris Coleman to a long term deal.

Will you still be saying that when Wales lose 4-0 to Belgium tomorrow night.

So Wales did the business against Belgium and now have a date with Portugal in the semi finals. Been a while since England last played a semi final. If they get over Portugal...
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:05 pm

from_the_stands wrote:Here's an idea; the FA could merge with Wales, replace the entire squad with the current Welsh team and sign Chris Coleman to a long term deal.

Wales were outplayed by Slovakia, I believe they didnt even get the ball in England's half for 45 minutes and were outclassed in that game, and Northern Ireland also should have beaten them in the first knockouts having created more chances in a pretty barren game. And then against Belgium they were effective in stopping Belgium only when the referee ignored the fouling.

Only Russia, who were already out and basically needed to win by 4 goals and setup for suicide, have been outplayed by them. Wales have been lucky, simple as.

Why England would want to a hire a manger who has failed in every venture ever bar the last couple of weeks, I wouldnt know. Did a great job at Fulham and Coventry.... :facepalm
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:10 pm

Wales have enjoyed some luck, but results matter, and they dug deep against Belgium. They do say never pick a player on a tournament, and the same can be said of a manager.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:23 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Wales have enjoyed some luck, but results matter

Results matter, but in saying how effective a manager's ability is, you can basically ignore it.

I mean, if Roy Hodgson's team dominate all their games in possession and chances, but Harry Kane cant score a tap in from 5 yards, how is that a mark on Roy? Ok, England were pretty rubbish in the second half vs Iceland, but they had chances to get back in and objectively were the better side, and both goals were appalling defensive or keeping lapses that cant be tactically his fault.

On the flipside, Coleman's teams have been outplayed in most games, but is he a good manager because keepers keep throwing awful free kicks blasted straight at them in their net? Or when people like Lukaku forget where the net is?

Sorry, Id rather have the manager of the team that have 75% possession and 25 shots a game, rather than 2 shots a game that inexplicably go in for a game they have been dominated in.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:24 pm

This is where the all or nothing nature of England fan's defies belief sometimes.

Had England had a striker who took chances, they could have won all their games by 2-4 goals, and we would be saying they are amazing. England were noticeably better than everyteam they played, if they had the luck of the Welsh, we would have won it.

sussexpob

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Don't remember them creating that many clear cut chances that's why all of Kane's crappy efforts were from distance.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby sussexpob » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:40 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Don't remember them creating that many clear cut chances that's why all of Kane's crappy efforts were from distance.

Kane had a very good chance from a floated Wilshere ball, but he literally headed the tamest back pass to the keeper. He also forced a very good save with a bullet volley in the first half from a Dele Alli cross. Dele Alli shinned a chance from deep in the area from a cross that should have hit net. I believe at the end of the first half Smalling missed from 2 yards from a Kane free kick that actually was on target, and should of had a penalty because the Iceland lad had 70% of his shirt in his hand as he jumped.

They had chances and should have equalised.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:44 pm

sussexpob wrote:This is where the all or nothing nature of England fan's defies belief sometimes.

Had England had a striker who took chances, they could have won all their games by 2-4 goals, and we would be saying they are amazing. England were noticeably better than everyteam they played, if they had the luck of the Welsh, we would have won it.

Fine lines Sussex. Wales went one down against Belgium but created and scored three goals, whilst we went 2-1 behind against Iceland, yet fell to pieces in the second half. I do think we played some good Football in the tournament, just lacked the goals, which is down to the players.
Gingerfinch

Postby braveneutral » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:20 pm

I'm available for the right salary.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:16 pm

Jurgen Klinsmann been talked about today but also rumours of a Redknapp/Howe partnership.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby braveneutral » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:02 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:Jurgen Klinsmann been talked about today but also rumours of a Redknapp/Howe partnership.

Seen a lot about the two of them in the last few days.
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:18 am

Looks like it's now between Allardyce and Klinsmann.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:26 am

Aidan11 wrote:Looks like it's now between Allardyce and Klinsmann.

Think I'd prefer big Sam. He's been around the block, knows our players, and will look at form. He's not ideal but hey!
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:35 am

Gingerfinch wrote:

Think I'd prefer big Sam. He's been around the block, knows our players, and will look at form. He's not ideal but hey!

Big Sam as England manager......

This is worse than Brexit.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:39 am

sussexpob wrote:
Gingerfinch wrote:

Big Sam as England manager......

This is worse than Brexit.

Not great but I'm struggling to think of anyone better. Has Klinsmann really done much?
Gingerfinch

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum