Black football managers

The beautiful game!

Re: Black football managers

Postby mikesiva » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Charlton sack Chris Powell...black football managers are becoming a rare breed in England.
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:06 pm

mikesiva wrote:Charlton sack Chris Powell...black football managers are becoming a rare breed in England.

To be fair, they are bottom of the league, but yes, they are a rare breed.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:18 pm

Dr Robert wrote:
mikesiva wrote:Charlton sack Chris Powell...black football managers are becoming a rare breed in England.

To be fair, they are bottom of the league, but yes, they are a rare breed.

A thoroughly decent man by all accounts, probably not the best qualification for a manager!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Sadly for Chris Powell, the owner of Charlton wants to implement his own ideas involving partner clubs Standard Liege and Ujpest.

I'm sure Chris Powell will be back in management soon enough and with a decent sized club, his managerial record speaks for itself.
http://www.soccerbase.com/managers/mana ... er_id=2312
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:19 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:

Sadly for Chris Powell, the owner of Charlton wants to implement his own ideas involving partner clubs Standard Liege and Ujpest.

I'm sure Chris Powell will be back in management soon enough and with a decent sized club, his managerial record speaks for itself.
http://www.soccerbase.com/managers/mana ... er_id=2312

They are bottom but have 5 games odd in hand after postponed matches. Only a few points of getting in playoffs last year too, and he took them up the year before. Maybe a little hasty from the board, but "c'est la vie" for managers who find themselves in dire form nowadays. It seems you sack for the instant impact when you struggle nowadays.

I agree, someone will pick him up and dust him off in the off season, or maybe before. Good luck to him.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby mikesiva » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:10 pm

I hope someone does pick him soon....

Chris Hughton is now the only black manager left in the football league.

"And then there was one - just one black manager among the 92 League clubs. Predictable but depressing, Charlton Athletic's appetite for the panic button was a good deal more voracious than their hunger for a high noon FA Cup quarter-final at Sheffield United, and now Chris Powell has walked the plank. Bottom of the Championship, but with four games in hand on their relegation rivals above the dotted line, the Addicks have lined up former Standard Liege coach Jose Riga as Powell's replacement. So that leaves Chris Hughton as the only black manager in charge of a club in the professional ranks - and by all accounts, he has been clinging on grimly at Norwich City. In the 21st century, it is a serious problem for English football that 25 per cent of playing staffs are black and yet the representation nosedives to only one per cent of club managers."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... z2vr7R5y8X
Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

mikesiva

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:18 pm

And he is one loss away from the boot.

Is that really the only black manager left? That is very bizarre really. While I dont share your belief in positive discrimination, or the Rooney Rule, or also believe that this is down to an inherent latent racism in the game, I am left wondering why we are arguably 3 days away from no English black manager in football.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:21 pm

Ince might be in a job if he wasn't such a prat.
Gingerfinch

Postby sussexpob » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Dr Robert wrote:Ince might be in a job if he wasn't such a prat.

Didnt he lose 7 or 8 games on the bounce, and in that time his team lost total discipline with 5 odd players sent off in as many matches? He had to go, Blackpool were rated extremely highly to attack the higher teams this year and he was leading them to total lower table oblivion.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:36 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Dr Robert wrote:Ince might be in a job if he wasn't such a prat.

Didnt he lose 7 or 8 games on the bounce, and in that time his team lost total discipline with 5 odd players sent off in as many matches? He had to go, Blackpool were rated extremely highly to attack the higher teams this year and he was leading them to total lower table oblivion.

Think he'll be ok in league 1 or 2 but like I say he's a prat, and chairman might he think he's more hassle than he's worth.
Gingerfinch

Postby Alviro Patterson » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:47 pm

sussexpob wrote:

And he is one loss away from the boot.

Is that really the only black manager left? That is very bizarre really. While I dont share your belief in positive discrimination, or the Rooney Rule, or also believe that this is down to an inherent latent racism in the game, I am left wondering why we are arguably 3 days away from no English black manager in football.

Too many English managers with some form of proven success are out of work, let alone a lack of Black managers.

When clubs are appointing the likes of Pepe Mel, Felix Magath, Aitor Karanka, Manuel Pellegrini who have very little idea of English football then the situation only gets worse.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Gingerfinch » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:52 pm

I can understand the big clubs wanting a proven manager like a Jose, or Benitez, but it would be nice if the so called smaller clubs, like West Brom, and Cardiff went for a British guy.
Gingerfinch

Postby mikesiva » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:44 am

"Chris Hughton has been sacked by Norwich City with the club’s Barclays Premier League future hanging in the balance. A 1-0 home defeat to relegation rivals West Bromwich Albion on Saturday left them 17th in the table and was the final straw for the board. Neil Adams, previously coach of their Under 18s, has been handed the task of trying to keep the club in the top flight. They sit one place above the drop zone but face Fulham, five points behind in 18th, on Saturday before Liverpool at home, Manchester United and Chelsea away then Arsenal at home. Assistant manager Colin Calderwood and coach Paul Trollope followed Hughton out of the exit door. There are now no black managers in the top four divisions of English football."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2yAzxR7Se
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

And then there were none....

mikesiva

Postby sussexpob » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:12 am

He had to go, Mike. I think even people who disagree with the sacking do so on the basis that they left it too late in the season to make an impact.

Hughton was a good bloke, a rare find these days in football, but sadly I think that counts against him in the top flight. His team don't get decisions ever, and I think his nice press and understanding words contributed. His tactics also left a lot to be desired when Norwich attack, and his top money signing of Van Wolfswinkel was the real clincher..... when you break a club record you have to get someone better than a man who wouldn't look out of place in the Ryman's Southern League.

Hughton will get the Forest job, so we will have a black manager again in the coming weeks imo. There is no better pedigree manager for Forest to get, Hughton knows his championship football well, and has done brilliantly there twice.

sussexpob

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 am

Pearce has got the Forest job, but Hughton will be rightly back in a job sooner or later.
Gingerfinch

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum