Black football managers

The beautiful game!

Re: Black football managers

Postby st_brendy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:59 pm

Having now seen Powell and his team first hand, I am safely going to say that he wont be a manager for too much longer (at least not at Charlton any way).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Re: Black Premiership managers

Postby swannyforengland » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:50 pm

swannyforengland wrote:
ntini77 wrote:Paul Ince is a terrible manager..............

Paul Ince is an excellent manager.....

Incy Wincy's Black And White Army! :D

Sorry to drag a dead topic up, but I can't believe I actually said this :no
Certified lunatic, and die-hard cricket obsessive. I'm sure the two aren't linked...

Fantasy League Wins
None. Damn it!
swannyforengland

Team(s) Supported: Nottinghamshire CCC first and forever, England second, New Zealand third

Football - Notts County

Postby mikesiva » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 am

swannyforengland wrote:
swannyforengland wrote:
ntini77 wrote:Paul Ince is a terrible manager..............

Paul Ince is an excellent manager.....

Incy Wincy's Black And White Army! :D

Sorry to drag a dead topic up, but I can't believe I actually said this :no

:D

Kieth Curle has been appointed manager of Notts County....

That brings the total of black managers in the game to three.
:?
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:32 pm

mikesiva wrote:
Kieth Curle has been appointed manager of Notts County....

That brings the total of black managers in the game to three.
:?

I wouldn't worry about the low representation of black managers at present, quite a few former players have gone into coaching/managing non league sides as well as coaching on behalf of the FA/Football League.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby braveneutral » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Terry Connor promoted to be manager at Wolves until the end of the season...
Asia Cup 2012 guru
SA vs Oz 2011 combined guru
SA vs Bangladesh Tests guru
NZ vs WI Tests guru
2014 French Open guru
T20 Blast 2014 guru
India vs WI ODIs 2014 guru
2016 French Open guru
2016 Wimbledon guru
2016 RL50 Cup guru
Premier League Final Placings Prediction League 2016/7 guru
England v SA ODIs 2017 guru
Guru.

D/L wrote:Words fail me for once.

17/04/17 - 'The day that history was made'

20/04/17 - Better than Bolt.
braveneutral

Team(s) Supported: Northants amongst others.

I suppose.

At times.

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:17 pm

Seems no one wants the Wolves job.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:37 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Seems no one wants the Wolves job.

Probably down to Wolves league position if anything, their stadium development has got put on hold for that reason.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby mikesiva » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:08 pm

"Former Dutch midfielder Edgar Davids has joined League Two side Barnet as joint-head coach with a view to also resuming his playing career. The 39-year-old, who played for Ajax, Juventus and Barcelona in a glittering career, will assist Mark Robson at the Football League's bottom club."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19920753

Maybe it's time to implement the 'Rooney Rule', which has been brought into play in the NFL. In the English League, more than 20 percent of players are black, and yet with Davids, there are only four black managers now in all four divisions. The NFL is slightly better, with six general managers out of 32 teams, even though 70 percent of their players are black. The NBA is much better, with just under half their managers being black.

"Taylor is also demanding an increase in the number of ethnic minority coaches in the game by adopting the ‘Rooney Rule’ — used in American football — to promote up-and-coming black managers. The move sparked an almost immediate response from the Ferdinand family and so eased the threat of a breakaway union that could attract the 44 per cent of PFA members from ethnic minority backgrounds."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2AWG9QcUS
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

mikesiva

Postby mikesiva » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:47 pm

It is sad that brian dean has to go to norway to find a club willing to give a black british manager a chance.....
:texas!

mikesiva

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:43 pm

mikesiva wrote:It is sad that brian dean has to go to norway to find a club willing to give a black british manager a chance.....

Nothing wrong in going overseas to revive a footballing career, more Britons should take the plunge and do it. There are only 92 managerial vacancies in league football and plenty of prolific managers out of work, not everyone can be employed.

Brian Deane should take inspiration from Colin Todd, sacked at Bradford and went to Denmark to manage Randers who are a similar club to Sarpsborg 08. Todd consolidated Randers in the Superliga after recent promotion and become a mid-table team challlenging for honours. Both teams went their separate ways and Todd's successors failed as Randers got relegated.

Meanwhile Colin Todd tried a managerial stint at Darlington but resigned after 10 games, he even applied to become manager of Berwick Rangers but wasn't considered. Randers regained promotion to Superliga and Todd got reappointed in July last year, Randers are now in 3rd place challenging for a place in the Champions League.

Alviro Patterson

Postby SaintPowelly » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm

mikesiva wrote:It is sad that brian dean has to go to norway to find a club willing to give a black british manager a chance.....

That is a ridiculous and frankly pathetic statement, Brian Deane being black has NOTHING to do with it, there are white ex-players with better credentials than him that can't find a job over here either.

Race is irrelevant.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:32 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:

That is a ridiculous and frankly pathetic statement, Brian Deane being black has NOTHING to do with it, there are white ex-players with better credentials than him that can't find a job over here either.

Race is irrelevant.

Even Brian Deane was uncomfortable in a journalists question if he felt Black people were discriminated.

Alviro Patterson

Postby mikesiva » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:44 am

'Football is hardly immune from such criticism either – how can it be when so few black players become managers? The knee-jerk dismissal in many quarters of the progressive Rooney Rule, which would require each club to interview one black or ethnic minority candidate for management jobs, is further evidence of a power structure resistant to change. When jobs are going in football, for the large part, black faces just don’t ‘fit’. There is an institutional bias against them. Barnes knows this attitude well. Speaking on the theme of discriminatory bias in 2011 he told the Telegraph: “White players always said to me: ‘You can call me ‘a white so and so’, I don’t mind’. But that’s because society has indoctrinated us over the past 400 years to think that that’s like saying ‘you handsome so and so’. That’s why white players aren’t offended. They’re empowered. Black people aren’t empowered; 99 per cent of black individuals would be offended being called ‘a black so and so’ because we’ve had 400 years of being dehumanised.” Barnes’s logic cannot be faulted. This imbalance of empowerment isn't always something that can be accurately measured or quantified, but it exists in board rooms, it exists in politics, it exists on television and it exists in football.'

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/pit ... 14077.html

mikesiva

Postby sussexpob » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Somethings Barnes says are really interesting, others are complete tosh. I think, for instance, to say something so ridiculous as "white people dont mind being called a white so and so" is amazingly ignorant. I would mind, very strongly so..... I would also mind if someone used a racist term to describe a friend who does not share my ethnicity, even if he doesnt mind. Its like swear words... If I tell my friend to "*modded* off" loudly in public, why should someone walking past not be offended? In fact, its more likely!

As for the management issue, yes, one cannot deny that the numbers dont add up, especially when black people are overrepresented in football generally... a large black playing community that goes no further, strange? Yes! Of course.

I agree with Barnes, however, that to a certain extent artificial rearranging of the sport will not help.... can rules in football stop poverty or present social opportunity? As he rightfully draws on, footballers earn loads of money, whether they move to management or coaching or not. We arent really helping black communities by increasing the opportunity of Ashley Cole to manage Bournemouth in two years time.

Its perception. Anyone who quotes the Rooney Rule so flippantly really does not understand the NFL and the culture in the USA. The Rooney Rule was brought in not to give black players a guaranteed interview!!! It was originally suggested as a much wider scope; to disprove the widely held theory that black players were employable only in the athletic/strength positions, while the white boy Jock's from College could manage to read the playbooks.

I mean I remember Kordell Stewart, a scrambling QB for the Steelers in about 2000? He actually played under Dan Rooney II's governance, the man who campaigned for the changes..... I think he said once that KS played better after the playbook "was simplified for him", and by that they meant he basically did a "run, Forrest, run" type tactic.

The NFL changed very quickly, there are now guys like Cam Newton who are black role model pocket passers.... yet its arguably how much of that was down to anything more than the opportunities for blacks in society that have come with more time.... Newton himself grew up in a well off family, his father and uncle being NFL players in the past.... before him, and probably the biggest post 2000 non scrambling QB was Donovan McNabb, who attended an expensive all catholic boys school and came out of University with a lingustics and speech degree. Michael Vick was a Forrest Gump, not seen as having the intelligence or awareness to pass teams to death, he just had a coach that called run all the time

The truth is that black society has gradually become engrained in USA society to the point that more black families are stepping out of the stereotypical social situations that they once found themselves in, but it is these types of people of higher standing that are getting the opportunity. Until anyone changes society to give better education to others, you wont find many uneducated or poor background blacks taking coaching or skill player roles in teams. So arguably the Rooney Rule did nothing much for the sport, it just was passed at a time when blacks were increasingly becoming prevelent in influencial positions across society.

I guess with the football you have the same thing.... lots of black players, but how many footballers come from educated backgrounds per se? And what is the average black person income to white, based on defined social roles that were handed to blacks in much less enlightened times?

Until we tackle ethnic minority opportunities in society then I think its natural that football can do nothing to help it, or little of consequence. The Rooney Rule is horrible, it was a cope out trying to tackle something that was too big to tackle in sport.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:08 am

All a load of tosh, anyone who desperately wants to forge a managerial career should look outside the Football League.

Look at Andy Preece, his league managerial stunt at Bury didn't work out but still didn't give up the dream and went to Northwich Victoria, who he manufactured a famous FA Cup victory against Charlton Athletic in 2009.

Last year Preece goes to the Welsh Premier League, managing Airbus UK Broughton and is making a very impressionable impact. Within two season he has secured the Wingmakers a place in the Europa League competition and are currently top of the Welsh Premier League, usually dominated by The New Saints and Bangor City in previous seasons.

Alviro Patterson

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum