Random footie

The beautiful game!

Re: Random footie

Postby yuppie » Thu May 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Forest have attracted such great managers as big Ron and Joe Kinnear........ I think we have attracted some good managers who if given time would have done more. Sean O'driscoll would be the manager i wish we gave more time to. In saying that we have had some truelly shocking managers.

The European History probably means that we don't give managers the time to implement their plans, those that have a plan. The Clough legacy is huge, but managers have overcome it. Frank Clarke was successful and a forest legend. 3rd in the premiership after promotion and QF of the eufa cup were great returns. Paul Hart did wonders with a youth team and Des Walker. Since then Billy Davies got us close to the promised land, but he really is a poisoned dwarf. Calderwood did what he had to do to get us up to the championship.

The History also means that we have a good supporter base. Ive not been back for 10 years, but it seems the crowds have got bigger. A few years in League 1 did not dampen the fans spirits. If anything I have been surprised our history has not resulted in a huge investor coming to us as opposed to what we have had.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby yuppie » Fri May 17, 2019 12:56 pm

So the Italian FA have handed down their views on the racist chanting at Caglirai vs Juventus match.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/juventus/sto ... n-in-april

:no :facepalm

yuppie

Postby mikesiva » Fri May 17, 2019 1:18 pm

yuppie wrote:So the Italian FA have handed down their views on the racist chanting at Caglirai vs Juventus match.

http://www.espn.com/soccer/juventus/sto ... n-in-april

:no :facepalm

:no
In other news, Sol Campbell helps Macclesfield Town to avoid relegation.
:clap
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 17, 2019 1:40 pm

mikesiva wrote:In other news, Sol Campbell helps Macclesfield Town to avoid relegation.

Done a fantastic job to keep them up in the end, because they were down and out when he took over. I expect a bigger job will be coming soon.... bookies even have him somewhere on the Brighton list of favourites, but I doubt he could step up that far so quickly.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 pm

yuppie wrote:So the Italian FA have handed down their views on the racist chanting at Caglirai vs Juventus match

You wonder why there is a consistent problem, and then this. Pretty disgraceful bottle job that. It will only hurt them in the in the future, I sure as hell wouldnt want to go play there if that is the kind of thing that is happening without any punishment. You'd expect UEFA to pipe up, but my guess is they are a load of gammon bottle jobs too.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Fri May 17, 2019 2:03 pm

On this note, I see Kick it out have made a grovelling open apology to Brighton after one of their senior employees (actually Andros Townsend's dad) made some comments inferring Chris Hughton was sacked because he was black. This is the sort of thing that really annoys me, when someone wants to take a context and try and accuse people of being racist on zero grounds; dare I say, this sort of nonsensical brain fading is the sort of thing that just gives ammunition to most of the "political correctness gone mad" crowd.

Mr Townsend should maybe have taken a just a very small moment to have googled some research.... he'd have found our ladies team are managed by an openly gay black lady, up till a week ago we had a black male manager, who had a black male assistant, who headed a coaching staff with a number of first team/reserves/youth coaches who are black.

Some people really need to engage their brains before they open their mouths. But hey, I am sure all those anti-discrimination keyboard warriors know what they are talking about, and dont just want to jump on the next available bandwagon. Its like the West Brom thing; the club hire a totally inexperienced manager at club which was favourites to get promoted, and they sack him and are accused of being racist!!! The sacking was definitely harsh (sacked with a playoff position locked, but automatics gone), but so are a lot of sackings.

Maybe people should target teams that dont even give opportunities to these guys, not ones who are giving black managers opportunities. West Brom should have been applauded for giving Moore an opportunity, and to be fair to Moore, he has no bitterness towards West Brom and has vocally defended them.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Fri May 17, 2019 2:55 pm

sussexpob wrote:
mikesiva wrote:In other news, Sol Campbell helps Macclesfield Town to avoid relegation.

Done a fantastic job to keep them up in the end, because they were down and out when he took over. I expect a bigger job will be coming soon.... bookies even have him somewhere on the Brighton list of favourites, but I doubt he could step up that far so quickly.

I love the fact that Sol has stuffed Notts county twice.

Hope he stays at Maccelsfield for a year, and then works his way up. Made them hard to beat. Fair play to Sol as well because he was not getting options anywhere else. So he took the chance with the club that was 24th in league 2. :salute
yuppie

Postby The Professor » Sun May 19, 2019 12:43 pm

Have a feeling that Vincent Company is going to become a abshigh quality manager.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 20, 2019 9:34 pm

Started (and finished) the Sunderland Till I Die documentary on Netflix in the last few days.

Have to say, Chris Coleman comes across as a top person; feel sorry for him that it didnt work out well at all. Makes you think though; people always talk about Sunderland fans being up there with the best, but apart from the club being run so badly, one of the biggest points of the documentary is just how difficult the fan base is to please. High expectations, a lot of anger when they aint doing well..... not sure that sort of negativity is ever good for the players, although the way they spunked money on people that were quite happy just to pick their pay, no surprise.

Great documentary though, recommend it to any footie fans who aint seen it; especially like the bit the scouts gets a roasting for providing a scout report on Ibrahamovic (sums up the joke at the club).... CEO guy at first comes across as some corporate d*ck, but by the end, I felt sorry for him too as he was just the face of an owner wanting no more to do with the club.

sussexpob

Postby SaintPowelly » Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 pm

sussexpob wrote:Started (and finished) the Sunderland Till I Die documentary on Netflix in the last few days.

Have to say, Chris Coleman comes across as a top person; feel sorry for him that it didnt work out well at all. Makes you think though; people always talk about Sunderland fans being up there with the best, but apart from the club being run so badly, one of the biggest points of the documentary is just how difficult the fan base is to please. High expectations, a lot of anger when they aint doing well..... not sure that sort of negativity is ever good for the players, although the way they spunked money on people that were quite happy just to pick their pay, no surprise.

Great documentary though, recommend it to any footie fans who aint seen it; especially like the bit the scouts gets a roasting for providing a scout report on Ibrahamovic (sums up the joke at the club).... CEO guy at first comes across as some corporate d*ck, but by the end, I felt sorry for him too as he was just the face of an owner wanting no more to do with the club.

I was slightly disappointed by the lack of players that got involved ( John O’Shea said most of them were livid when they found out and wanted no part ), but one player they did focus on (Johnny Williams, I think) came across really likeable.

Apparently they are filming again this season, so should be quite interesting with them losing the cup final and whatever outcome of playoffs are.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby sussexpob » Mon May 20, 2019 9:49 pm

SaintPowelly wrote:I was slightly disappointed by the lack of players that got involved ( John O’Shea said most of them were livid when they found out and wanted no part ), but one player they did focus on (Johnny Williams, I think) came across really likeable.

Apparently they are filming again this season, so should be quite interesting with them losing the cup final and whatever outcome of playoffs are.

You see enough of Darren Gibson to decide hes a prat. Get the feeling at the start of the year in the first few episodes, the players are more chatty, but as the team starts to head South, I can understand why the players might have decided not to want to talk about how crap they are doing. I did read Simon Grayson was employed after the deal to film was done, and apparently he wasnt happy; he also complained after it was released that it showed him in a poor light and that he didnt like the way it was edited. I dont think he can complain, Simon didnt come across as a bad person, just a bit of an old fashioned lower league style coach with his 10p wisdom cookie fortune.

I agree though, Jonny Williams when he goes to get counseling, you feel sorry for the lad. Generally apart from Gibson, the interaction you do get from the players makes them feel generally human. The local lady Honeyman also comes across as a lad that would probably play for Sunderland for free.

sussexpob

Postby andy » Thu May 23, 2019 4:04 pm

sussexpob wrote:Started (and finished) the Sunderland Till I Die documentary on Netflix in the last few days.

Yeah i watched that...reallu enjoyed it, and felt bad for Coleman and Bain. Shows it really is difficult when you slide down the divisions
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby captaincolly » Sun May 26, 2019 4:56 pm

Disaster for Sunderland in the play-off final as Charlton, after conceding a comical own goal very early on, equalised in the first half and then scored the winner with virtually the last kick of the season!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Durhamfootman » Sun May 26, 2019 6:29 pm

for a while there it looked as though it was going to be Sunderland who squeaked the winning goal. Then they get mugged right at the death. 2 seconds left of time added on. Their record at Wembley may even be worse than Newcastle's and that's a hard trick to pull off.

Watched with interest at this Jonny Williams fella, that lower league club supporters rave about, when he came on as sub with 20 mins to go. Reminded me of a poor man's Neymar..... takes the ball on mazy runs down dead ends until he feels a touch of some sort and then rolls all the floor holding his knee a lot was my assessment.
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby captaincolly » Sun May 26, 2019 6:39 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:for a while there it looked as though it was going to be Sunderland who squeaked the winning goal. Then they get mugged right at the death. 2 seconds left of time added on. Their record at Wembley may even be worse than Newcastle's and that's a hard trick to pull off.

Watched with interest at this Jonny Williams fella, that lower league club supporters rave about, when he came on as sub with 20 mins to go. Reminded me of a poor man's Neymar..... takes the ball on mazy runs down dead ends until he feels a touch of some sort and then rolls all the floor holding his knee a lot was my assessment.

Sunderland will never get out of the doldrums unless they appoint a lead high performance coach!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum