Racism in English football?

The beautiful game!

Re: Racism in English football?

Postby ddb » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Great article DDB, thanks for posting it especially for us across the pond whom don't always search out the UK papers on line.

Yes it's very interesting how Evra has turned into the villain.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby andy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:17 pm

i do think liverpool shouldnt have done the suarez t-shirt thing. It looked silly to be honest.....also not a suprise Terry got booed everytime he touched the ball last night.
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby The Waugh Twins » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:56 pm

None of it makes a lot of sense and we may never know the truth, but the FA must know something to issue an 8 match ban that they are not telling us. On this I have to assume Suarez is guilty of saying a racial slur until I see or hear something else. Liverpool FC must also take this stance until there is an appeal and he is found innocent. To openly support Suarez is sending the wrong message to the fans. They would be better off just keeping a low profile and see if some truths come out of this.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby andy » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:16 pm

what liverpool did could open a can of worms. Imagine if every side did that, what sort of message would that send?!
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby mikesiva » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:59 pm

This is a minor incident, probably reflecting the fact that Alan Hansen either doesn't really have black friends, or is just an ignorant old man. I was shocked when I heard him using this word on MOTD, but at least he had the good sense to apologise for it:

'Alan Hansen has been forced to apologise to shocked television viewers after making a racial gaffe TWICE during last night's Match of the Day. The BBC pundit - who is paid an enormous £40,000 per show - caused controversy after describing black players as 'coloured' when discussing the current John Terry and Luis Suarez racism rows. Fellow pundit Lee Dixon looked on in apparent unease as former Liverpool defender Hansen, 56, said: ‘I think there’s a lot of coloured players in all the major teams and there are lots of coloured players who are probably the best in the Premier League.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z1hYhEUt1q

Hopefully, now we can move on, and hopefully Hansen has learnt what terms are acceptable to use to describe black players, and what are not....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby ddb » Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Liverpool fans on racial abuse in 2005

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ind ... ic=93131.0

How times change...
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Spartacus_Aardvark » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:06 am

ddb wrote:Liverpool fans on racial abuse in 2005

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/ind ... ic=93131.0

How times change...

A rather sweeping statement with a distinct lack of justification. Would you be implying that Liverpool fans are racist ddb? I don't for a moment expect you to say 'yes' on this forum, but will stay hidden behind your generalistic swipes at every Liverpool fan. A very, very cheap and juvenile dig on a very emotive subject!! :no
2012 Six Nations prediction guru
Spartacus_Aardvark

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC
England
Chester-le-Street CC

Postby ddb » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:01 am

No, how the heck did you come to that conclusion? I'm saying if this was Hernandez and Johnson, we would see a very different reaction from Liverpool fans a shown in 2005. Don't see why you think everything I post has a hidden agenda.
Intent

ddb

Postby keshto » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:29 am

Is saying coloured a racist slur?

Isn't that a bit too much?

Evra has had a lot of bad press generally so he is part of the players people don't like. It is probably due to the fact that he is quite sure of himself I guess that people get antagonised by him.

I don't think an 8 match ban will do anything though, the message is don't use racist slurs, not think about what you just said and the implications.

I am even sure it increases hatred more than anything.

I think Evra and Suarez should have been made to discuss this together with a mediator. Suarez offering his apologies and Evra showing he accepted them.
Last edited by keshto on Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

Postby mikesiva » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:45 am

keshto wrote:Is saying coloured a racist slur?

Isn't that a bit too much?

It's not as bad as calling someone a n****r or an Asian person a P**i, but it's as bad as going on television and calling a white person a 'honky' or a 'whitey', or an Asian person a 'coolie'....

The word 'coloured' was used in the US and UK to disparagingly refer to black people back in the days when they were treated as second-class citizens. For example, in the pre-civil rights era, there were signs saying 'no coloureds allowed', 'coloureds only' above segregated bathrooms, etc, and those days still rankle. There were similar 'no coloureds' signs in the UK in those days over pubs, rentals, etc.

As a sign of moving on from those racist days, black people prefer not to be called 'coloured' any more, but unfortunately there's still a group of uninformed older people who still use that term, including my old white aunt, who had to be kindly but firmly informed that such a nomenclature was not appropriate.
:halo:
Hansen was right to apologise....

mikesiva

Postby GGAS » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:48 am

The word 'coloured' was used in the US and UK to disparagingly refer to black people back in the days when they were treated as second-class citizens. For example, in the pre-civil rights era, there were signs saying 'no coloureds allowed', 'coloureds only' above segregated bathrooms, etc, and those days still rankle. There were similar 'no coloureds' signs in the UK in those days over pubs, rentals, etc.

As a sign of moving on from those racist days, black people prefer not to be called 'coloured' any more, but unfortunately there's still a group of uninformed older people who still use that term, including my old white aunt, who had to be kindly but firmly informed that such a nomenclature was not appropriate.

The word 'coloured' also generalises all races other than whites into the same group. I was of the belief that was the main reason it was considered derogatory.
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby keshto » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:53 am

Well I personally have a problem with words being banned because of racist connotation, it contributes more than anything else.

I don't see the problem with saying coloured, and I would say that for all non-white people, it is just a word after all, and it does indicate a different colour.

It is a fact that we have different colours, nothing racist in that, I think we have become really stupid lately with racism accusation, and we should try and tackle it differently if we want things to evolve more quickly, although I am pretty sure it will change in a hundred years as the demography will change.
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve."
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

Postby mikesiva » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:57 am

GG - Amir Sohail wrote:

The word 'coloured' also generalises all races other than whites into the same group. I was of the belief that was the main reason it was considered derogatory.

Yeah, that's true as well....
:salute
keshto, in the end, what matters is what the race you're talking about feels about the words you're using to describe them, and black Britons were very offended when Hansen used that word twice on BBC....

Are you okay with white people describing Asians as "P**is"? Because I'm not....

A few years ago, I was quietly walking home with a couple bags of groceries in my hands, when two thugs came up to me and shouted in my face to "Go back home, you f***ing P**i". Now, how do you propose that I resolve that issue?

Thankfully, British law gave me recourse. I reported the abuse, and they registered it as a hate crime, and investigated it. They could only do that if the offending words are banned by dint of their racist connotations....

mikesiva

Postby keshto » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:05 pm

And there lies the problem Mike, is that people are offended by these words, because they are told it is offensive.

it's just a word. Even P**i is just a word, it's short for Pakistani for christ's sake (or should I say for Math's sake, as I am an atheist?).

You can't let racists and people full of hatred and also full of ignorance ban words from the vocabulary.

It goes against everything I believe in to be honest.
Last edited by mikesiva on Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I think you know why, my friend....
George Bernard Shaw
keshto

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum