Racism in English football?

The beautiful game!

Re: Racism in English football?

Postby dan08 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:02 pm

As Liverpool will probably appeal, Suarez is likely to play tomorrow! I wonder what sort of reception he will get!
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby st_brendy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:05 pm

England's_No7 wrote:As Liverpool will probably appeal, Suarez is likely to play tomorrow! I wonder what sort of reception he will get!

Makes no difference if they appeal or not. The ban wont take affect for 14 days. If they don't appeal, the ban starts once those 14 days are up. If they do, the ban starts once the appeal is heard (unless of course the appeal completely wipes out the ban).
2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby ddb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:09 pm

st_brendy wrote:Liverpool's response: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-n ... tatement-8

Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association Commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.

We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

The Club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.

Joke of a statement.
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby dan08 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:11 pm

ddb wrote:
st_brendy wrote:Liverpool's response: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-n ... tatement-8

Liverpool Football Club is very surprised and disappointed with the decision of the Football Association Commission to find Luis Suarez guilty of the charges against him.

We look forward to the publication of the Commission's Judgment. We will study the detailed reasons of the Commission once they become available, but reserve our right to appeal or take any other course of action we feel appropriate with regards to this situation.

We find it extraordinary that Luis can be found guilty on the word of Patrice Evra alone when no-one else on the field of play - including Evra's own Manchester United teammates and all the match officials - heard the alleged conversation between the two players in a crowded Kop goalmouth while a corner kick was about to be taken.

The Club takes extremely seriously the fight against all forms of discrimination and has a long and successful track record in work relating to anti-racist activity and social inclusion. We remain committed to this ideal and equality for all, irrespective of a person's background.

LFC considers racism in any form to be unacceptable - without compromise. It is our strong held belief, having gone over the facts of the case, that Luis Suarez did not commit any racist act. It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible - certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

It is key to note that Patrice Evra himself in his written statement in this case said 'I don't think that Luis Suarez is racist'. The FA in their opening remarks accepted that Luis Suarez was not racist.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has been personally involved since the 2010 World Cup in a charitable project which uses sport to encourage solidarity amongst people of different backgrounds with the central theme that the colour of a person's skin does not matter; they can all play together as a team.

He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends.

It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented. We do not recognise the way in which Luis Suarez has been characterised.

It appears to us that the FA were determined to bring charges against Luis Suarez, even before interviewing him at the beginning of November. Nothing we have heard in the course of the hearing has changed our view that Luis Suarez is innocent of the charges brought against him and we will provide Luis with whatever support he now needs to clear his name.

We would also like to know when the FA intend to charge Patrice Evra with making abusive remarks to an opponent after he admitted himself in his evidence to insulting Luis Suarez in Spanish in the most objectionable of terms. Luis, to his credit, actually told the FA he had not heard the insult.

Joke of a statement.

They have to back their player although some of that content is irrelevant.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby ddb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:13 pm

It's nothing to do with backing their player, majority statement is a joke. Come on, what are they five?

Oh that old chestnut. "I can't be racist, my best mate is black" :facepalm
Intent

IPL 2009 Prediction League Champion 2009-10 footy prediction guru Joint 2010 footy final placings guru 2010 Eng vs Bang combined prediction guru 2011 World Cup Fantasy
ddb

Postby Spartacus_Aardvark » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:18 pm

ddb wrote:

Joke of a statement.

So you are qualified to classify that as a 'joke of a statement'? I take it you are privy to all of the evidence as opposed to throwing in a glib comment from an ManU fan perspective? Very rational ddb! :no
2012 Six Nations prediction guru
Spartacus_Aardvark

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC
England
Chester-le-Street CC

Postby ddb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:24 pm

It's how it read to me. The bit I highlighted after in particular. Most clubs(yeah United) release professional statements like "We're disappointed but we're going to review all the situation and decide whether to appeal" This is OK at the start, but the rest is poorly put across, it's like a Liverpool fan has wrote it on a blog and Liverpool have published it. And they've acted this way throughout the case, Fergie says some idiotic things, and some things are way out of line but he's said nothing on this. Contrast that to Kenny and Liverpool throughout...
Intent

ddb

Postby Spartacus_Aardvark » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:41 pm

However, you conveniently and selectively failed to highlight the part about Suarez being from a mixed-race background. That doesn't strike me as being balanced and is as about qualified and reactionary as a ToI cricket story... i.e. selective and blinkered.

I am equally not party to the facts, but sweeping generalisms based on tribal (i.e. ManU v Liverpool) bug-bears are not particularly impressive.
Spartacus_Aardvark

England
Chester-le-Street CC

Postby ddb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:49 pm

What did you want me to do, highlight every little bit of idiocy in the statement? I can't believe anyone would be happy with the particular bit I highlighted, it's akin to Blatter posting pictures with a Black man after his infamous hand shake crap.

Of course, everything we write has bias in it, you choose to read it how you want but the general reaction from everyone bar Liverpool fans think this a poorly written rushed statement that will just land them in more trouble. I'm not generalising, rather calling it as I see it. Suarez did not deny he called Evra a "negro", whole case was on whether or not this was acceptable in that context. Sorry but saying someone has black friends so this is acceptable? :?
Intent

ddb

Postby Spartacus_Aardvark » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:01 pm

Like I said ddb... the selective highlighting of 1 particular line, granted... a bog standard line, from the Liverpool statement is on the level of ToI-type sensationalism or Daily Mail type bias and completely lop-sided. What did you expect Liverpool to say... "we think it is a great verdict and think Suarez should be hung by the scrotum"?

On a different note... I am now intrigued to see how the Terry case unfolds. Although that sounds trickier with the CPS being on the case.
Spartacus_Aardvark

England
Chester-le-Street CC

Postby ddb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:08 pm

Wow, ok.

Here's the main points of idiocy.

It is also our opinion that the accusation by this particular player was not credible – certainly no more credible than his prior unfounded accusations.

Evra has never accused anyone before of being racist. He has been involved in 2 cases before and neither were instigated by him(one was 2 deaf fans, other was Mike Phelan) and both times he has gone on record that he didn't hear anything racist. But hey lets make up stuff.

Luis himself is of a mixed race family background as his grandfather was black. He has played with black players and mixed with their families whilst with the Uruguay national side and was Captain at Ajax Amsterdam of a team with a proud multi-cultural profile, many of whom became good friends. It seems incredible to us that a player of mixed heritage should be accused and found guilty in the way he has based on the evidence presented.

Done this before.

Let's ban everyone in football then.

Had respect for Liverpool before this incident, but if this statement has been approved by the owners etc, wow. Hope United stay quiet as they have done throughout.
Intent

ddb

Postby englandmad666 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 pm

A deserved ban but i would have rather had him baned for the season to make an example, cut it out in one swoop.

The JT case will be very intresting as it seems that FA have set themselves a tough precedent here to follow, i guess we will see.
"England expects that every man will do his duty" Horatio Nelson 1805

Australian Open 2010 prediction guru
englandmad666

Team(s) Supported: Big england cricket fan, also a huge england football fan as well as a supporter of sheffield wednesday football club (who in fact use to be a cricket team!)

Postby ddb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 pm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011 ... -liverpool

Liverpool, and Dalglish in particular, have been staunch defenders of Suárez against the racism charge from the moment it was first aired by Evra to Canal Plus after the 1-1 draw between Liverpool and Manchester United on 15 October. Defending your own is par for the course at a football club, and an unwritten rule in Dalglish's eyes, and he was quick to declare that "everyone at the club is totally and utterly behind Luis Suárez". In the course of several similar defences of Suárez, the Liverpool manager also demanded that whoever was guilty in this case – Suárez for racism or Evra for lying – should face severe censure.

Dalglish's position provided a contrast to Sir Alex Ferguson who, in one of his few utterances on the subject, stressed the difficulties that confronted both clubs and, in turn, the three-man independent panel who took four days to reach a verdict. "It's not an easy one because everyone knows that Manchester United and Liverpool have great responsibilities in terms of what happens on the field," said the United manager days after the Anfield game.

"I thought Saturday's game was terrific game and both sets of fans were good, there was none of the silly chanting we've heard in previous years and both sets of supporters deserve praise for that. It's not something that we want to level at Liverpool, and it's not against Liverpool. Obviously Patrice feels very aggrieved at what was said to him."

Dalglish took a risk in defending Suárez so vigorously and so frequently in the 10 weeks since the controversy erupted. The speed and the extent to which Liverpool categorically denied the accusation also surprised and the focus will now be on the club's response to a guilty verdict that transcends the loss of one valuable player to a team. Liverpool, their manager and owners, are active supporters of anti?racism initiatives and it will sit badly with John W Henry and the Fenway Sports Group in Boston to have a player of Suárez's profile found guilty of racist abuse.

Liverpool may not have to contend with just punishment from the Football Association either. Speaking on a local Liverpool radio station on Saturday, Luther Blissett, the former Watford and Milan striker who now works as an ambassador for Show Racism the Red Card, raised the prospect of legal action should the player be found guilty.

Blissett said: "If Suárez is found guilty then you have got to look at supporters who have been found guilty of this sort of thing and people have gone to jail for it. If that is the case, you could anticipate the same sort of thing happening to him. You look at his profile, and people label sportsmen in the public eye as a role model, then it is doubly important they do something about it. If he's found guilty of this then he should be treated just like everybody else. You've got to abide by the law of the land. It doesn't matter how much money you have, the law is the law."
Intent

ddb

Postby st_brendy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:30 pm

2012 F1 prediction guru
2011 F1 prediction guru
2014 Prem final placings prediction guru

Thanks for everything Pothas. You'll be missed. My nickname for you was apt and I will never forget it. For the last time, arise Sir Nic.
st_brendy

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
Southampton FC
Roger Federer

Postby ddb » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:34 pm

englandmad666 wrote:A deserved ban but i would have rather had him baned for the season to make an example, cut it out in one swoop.

The JT case will be very intresting as it seems that FA have set themselves a tough precedent here to follow, i guess we will see.

If JT is found guilty - stripped as captain surely.
Intent

ddb

PreviousNext

Return to Football Forum