Racism in English football?

The beautiful game!

Re: Racism in English football?

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:46 am

sussexpob wrote:I also wont take any racial crusading from a think tank who does not identify differences in ethnicity along the lines of anything but skin colour. This is not about "ethnical" differences or fairness, this is about black and white, and the quite frankly horrible net opinion of the above is that white people are all the same, whether or not they are Chilean or Italian, or born in London. Didn't think we spoke the same language, had the same culture, but there you go.... same skin colour, the same.

I mean lets just go back a few steps. At the moment "racism" in popular English culture is dominated by right wing leaning political parties who are crusading to limit European migration to the country, and limiting how many jobs are given to these people. So I cant see why barriers to employment for a white Italian are any different from a black Englishman, if anything the current soco-political climate dictates that the opposite would occur.

At the end of the day:-

1. Positive discrimination is simply racism under another banner and is not meritocracy. I would not be happy to find that I person in the same interview room was there by the colour of their skin, and not by anything else.

2. Before an action is warranted, proof of a problem needs to exist.... not just buzzword *modded* that has no evidence.

3. Certain people in the press should be held accountable for group several ethnical backgrounds as "whites", because I find this very offensive.

:clap

Now we have some think tank (more like sounding off) saying 1 in 5 coaches across the football league should be of a BME background by 2020, in other words employing an additional 90 in the space of five years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29996225

Tokenism at it's finest :facepalm
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:16 am

Now we have some think tank (more like sounding off) saying 1 in 5 coaches across the football league should be of a BME background by 2020, in other words employing an additional 90 in the space of five years.

The black and Asian population of the UK is just under 10% I think, so if we are to only include these groups in BME (because, as said above, Chileans may as well be white English because they aren't black enough to be a minority apparently), why should they be over represented by double?

Where do these figures come from? Where is the justification?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby mikesiva » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:23 am

First, Wigan hire Malky McKay, and then Whelan says this....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30137728

'Wigan owner Dave Whelan has been accused of anti-Semitism over comments he made to a national newspaper. It comes the same day a sponsor ended its agreement with the club over the appointment of Malky Mackay as manager. The Football Association is looking into allegations Mackay sent offensive text messages while Cardiff manager. Attempting to defend the Scot in an interview with the Guardian, Whelan reportedly said: "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else." His comments were described as "offensive" by West Ham co-chairman David Gold.'

If I needed a reason to cheer for any team that plays against Wigan, I now have it....

This is why I prefer the American response - they banned Donald Sterling for his comments. Zero tolerance....
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:30 am

mikesiva wrote:This is why I prefer the American response - they banned Donald Sterling for his comments. Zero tolerance....

And by zero tolerance you mean decades of accusations (and proven court cases he lost) of sexual harassment and racial discrimination calls that came to a head when his wife, who had left him, released a film of him being racist without context, and then under the firestorm managed to gain control of a 2 billion dollar asset and gain from its sale to another person. Sounds perfectly legitimate, and not motivated by the fact she made a billion dollars on the sale.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby sussexpob » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:47 am

'Wigan owner Dave Whelan has been accused of anti-Semitism over comments he made to a national newspaper. It comes the same day a sponsor ended its agreement with the club over the appointment of Malky Mackay as manager. The Football Association is looking into allegations Mackay sent offensive text messages while Cardiff manager. Attempting to defend the Scot in an interview with the Guardian, Whelan reportedly said: "Jewish people chase money more than everybody else." His comments were described as "offensive" by West Ham co-chairman David Gold.'

Equally as offensive as Jason Roberts calling English White people the same as Chileans because all we do is share a skin colour....... but not quite as offensive and racist as the suggest that black people should be offered interviews on a different guaranteed process to white people, that is not merely words, but racist action.

Before you start to behold yourself as the banner holder of the anti-racism movement, stop and consider just how disgusting both opinions I have mentioned are.

But hey.... white people being offended about racism aimed at them? No, surely not?

sussexpob

Postby GGAS » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:19 pm

What's negative about chasing money? Whelan said 'the Jews don't like losing money, nobody likes losing money' and 'I think they (the Jews) are very shrewd people.' Sure, it isn't a PC thing to say, but is it really anti-semitic or just stereotypical?
A man convinced against his will is a man of the same opinion still.

Fantasy Leagues:
IPL 4
2011 British Open
2011 Pak vs SL Tests
2011-12 SA vs SL Tests
2012 SL vs Pak ODIs
2012 Eng vs Aus ODIs
2013 SA vs NZ combined
2013 Oz vs WI ODIs
2014 Big Bash League
2013-14 Premier League [external]
2014 WI-Bang combined
2018 Bangladesh Tri Series
2018 Football World Cup
2018 England vs India Tests
2019 USPGA Championship
GGAS

Postby SaintPowelly » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:28 pm

GG - Amir Sohail wrote:What's negative about chasing money? Whelan said 'the Jews don't like losing money, nobody likes losing money' and 'I think they (the Jews) are very shrewd people.' Sure, it isn't a PC thing to say, but is it really anti-semitic or just stereotypical?

Its a fine line, BUT, its a stupid comment to make and when made 24 hours after hiring a racist, it doesn't look good. He also referred to the Chinese as "Chinks"
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:30 pm

GG - Amir Sohail wrote:What's negative about chasing money? Whelan said 'the Jews don't like losing money, nobody likes losing money' and 'I think they (the Jews) are very shrewd people.' Sure, it isn't a PC thing to say, but is it really anti-semitic or just stereotypical?

:thumb

Anti semitism means hatred of Jews and Whelan has nothing of the sort. It's no different to saying "You're a tight wad" to a Yorkshireman.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby Alviro Patterson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:40 pm

mikesiva wrote:
If I needed a reason to cheer for any team that plays against Wigan, I now have it....

This is why I prefer the American response - they banned Donald Sterling for his comments. Zero tolerance....

Zero tolerance of comments which are taken out of context? That is no way to tackle discrimination of any kind. The days of witch hunting belong to historical times, learning and understanding of one another is the only way to move forward.

If Whelan is found guilty, I hope he takes the FA to court for defamination of character.

Alviro Patterson

Postby andy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:21 pm

this is all starting to get out of control...soon people aren't going to be able to say anything at all, without fearing that they are going to be deemed racist..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:23 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:this is all starting to get out of control...soon people aren't going to be able to say anything at all, without fearing that they are going to be deemed racist..

No more 'Essex girl' jokes, cf? :)
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby andy » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:25 pm

lol Essex girls have a bad reputation due to a few silly people..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby rich1uk » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:32 pm

cricketfan90 wrote:lol Essex girls have a bad reputation due to a few silly people..

what about Essex boys ? ;)
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:33 pm

rich1uk wrote:
cricketfan90 wrote:lol Essex girls have a bad reputation due to a few silly people..

what about Essex boys ? ;)

They're the silly people he's on about :D
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:43 pm

2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner