India tour of Australia, Nov 21 - Jan 18

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: India tour of Australia, Nov 21 - Jan 18

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 am

Garry scored a twice undefeated 60-65 runs in this test. Maybe time to try him at the top?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:26 am

backfootpunch wrote:
Kerry okeefe might be the worst commentator of all time

A crowded field, but yes!

Seems to be something of a national treasure though.

Well done to the Aussies for battling, but moreso to India for a rare win in the lucky country.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm

O'Keefe is what might be termed "an acquired taste".

Can't say I've acquired it . But at least he's different. With a couple of different radio options and two TV channels covering it one can always avoid anyone...

I've been using Foxtel - when I've actually been able to get home and turn the set on - so still "enjoying " Warne. In fairness he does make some good points among the blather...trouble is he makes them about fifteen times each session - the same ones.
Always a mute button...
alfie

Postby alfie » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:33 pm

As to the match it was generally interesting if surprisingly slow-paced by modern standards. Pitches that help the bowlers a little usually do result in better contests...

Australia will be lifted somewhat by today's spirited effort ; but I fancy India will have taken even more in that they now know they can actually win matches in Australia - something they might have still nursed a few nerves about given past history.

Will be really interesting to see what changes if any the two sides make for Perth. And what the pitch will be like : if it is on the flat side you'd think both teams had better add a fifth bowler or risk having some of their main men carried off in a box...not much rest before they're off again Friday.
alfie

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:39 pm

Pat Cummins dismissal once again shows that Snicko and hot spot are simply not up to standard. The Finch dismissal looked out (nothing on either), the Khawaja smashed the glove clearly but nothing registered on hot spot. And now, nothing on that Pat Cummins hit that was overturned. Or so the umpire says. He tells us "ive got nothing on snicko". Well actually, you have two clear sounds registered.

The first is clearly the pad, its no debate. But when people tell me when Sharma didnt hit it in England that the soundwave was too small to be an edge, check the soundwave of that ball smacking into the top of the pad at force.By mirrored reasoning, you are telling me now that the ball hasnt hit the pad (when it clearly has) because its too small? Nope, clearly the soundwave and what fans/umpires looking for are wrong.

The second sound is as audible as the ball thundering into the pad. It registers as the ball passes the glove. If that wasnt enough, the ball clearly changes path as it pass the glove, deviates off at a virtual right angle to its original path. Did hotspot show it hit glove? No. Did it show it hit the arm? No. Apparently it missed everything in its path, but then decided under its own volition to change course, much against the rule of physics.

Every test match this happens recently. Its not good enough, frankly. If Khawaja gets out first morning to a ball that thunders into a glove, but hotspot doesnt register a hit, then turn it off. Its not working. How can you continue to use it? How can an umpire see two clear sounds register on snicko and decide its nothing? Again, why bother using the tech if it tells you theres a sound and you decide for some unknown reason that its not one?

Ive lost count in 2018 how many bad pads have been wrong because of these two elements.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby meninblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:46 pm

GarlicJam wrote:No one else watching this?

No Meninblue?

Whichever tests playing during day-time are not watchable for a specific age range unless those matches are on weekend. I like the Windies timing and England timing as there are atleast two watchable sessions.

=========================================================================================================================

Very nice to register a win in first test. The wickets were being taken without allowing a partnership to develop. So although the margin is not much there was confidence that a wicket is around the corner. The bowling attack is our strength and itgave performance today as well.

What pleases me most is that someone (Chet) apart from Virat contributed 194 runs in match. Which gives a good feeling that we can win even if Virat misses score in a test. Chet's form has been a huge difference maker.

The opening issues however persist. If they manage to give a start of 60 odd runs again (i know its not much) then we are in position to score 300 - 350 again which is what our bowling attack can help us defend on the pace friendly wickets and against this Aussie team without Warner and Smith.

What wicket will Aussies give at Perth. It's expected to be traditionally favoring pacers. I would like to see the pace attack of Jas, Shami and Ishant hitting the long crack which keeps widening a bit at Perth. Another test with bowlers dominating batsmen of both teams. Result oriented too.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Well done Adi!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby meninblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:36 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Well done Adi!

Thank you. When at home i did celebrate this win in excitement. Now looking forward to win another one and secure draw, something which we have not done overseas in recent times. Then once it is drawn try to win. Fanciful because Aussies are expected to comeback strong but that's what i would like to see. Series win overseas. The celebrations will be like crazy.
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:11 pm

meninblue wrote:What wicket will Aussies give at Perth. It's expected to be traditionally favoring pacers. I would like to see the pace attack of Jas, Shami and Ishant hitting the long crack which keeps widening a bit at Perth. Another test with bowlers dominating batsmen of both teams. Result oriented too.

The WACA has closed, Adi. Its probably been turned into a car park now, this test marks the debut of another lifeless concrete bowl that has been thrown up to replace the charming old ground. No idea what they named the Burswood in the end, no doubt its called something like FlyDubai Stadium, or something similar.

Only one international played here so far, and the pitch was a mixed bag. Patches of live grass which made the ball come on with a bit more zip, otherwise the bare parts were quite sluggish. Think the scores were relatively low in the ODI match because timing was an issue.

Although its going to be a drop in pitch, so not sure it will have consistency. Maybe the ground staff can do what they did to England last time round at the WACA, and after 1000 runs were scored in the first innings combined, they can dump 3 tonnes of water on the pitch at the end of day 4, and watch the par score half (it hindsight it is amazing that match wasnt called off. They had heaters and blowers and all sorts on, but I think clay shrinks badly when you rapidly heat it, meaning those cracks would open up a lot. Asking England to bat after the pitch was tampered with was very unfair).

sussexpob

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Wonder if the doctor will still be a factor?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:21 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Although its going to be a drop in pitch, so not sure it will have consistency. Maybe the ground staff can do what they did to England last time round at the WACA, and after 1000 runs were scored in the first innings combined, they can dump 3 tonnes of water on the pitch at the end of day 4, and watch the par score half (it hindsight it is amazing that match wasnt called off.

Oi! You can't do that!

England should rub Fisherman Friend residue on the pitches next summer in revenge.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:29 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Wonder if the doctor will still be a factor?

The new ground is literally the other side of the river from the WACA, I read. So the wind coming off the Swan River should still be about, its just a question of whether or not that breeze can penetrate the new stands. Not sure, I couldnt tell you if it was built enclosed or not.

sussexpob

Postby meninblue » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:50 pm

sussexpob wrote:
meninblue wrote:What wicket will Aussies give at Perth. It's expected to be traditionally favoring pacers. I would like to see the pace attack of Jas, Shami and Ishant hitting the long crack which keeps widening a bit at Perth. Another test with bowlers dominating batsmen of both teams. Result oriented too.

The WACA has closed, Adi. Its probably been turned into a car park now, this test marks the debut of another lifeless concrete bowl that has been thrown up to replace the charming old ground. No idea what they named the Burswood in the end, no doubt its called something like FlyDubai Stadium, or something similar.

Only one international played here so far, and the pitch was a mixed bag. Patches of live grass which made the ball come on with a bit more zip, otherwise the bare parts were quite sluggish. Think the scores were relatively low in the ODI match because timing was an issue.

Although its going to be a drop in pitch, so not sure it will have consistency. Maybe the ground staff can do what they did to England last time round at the WACA, and after 1000 runs were scored in the first innings combined, they can dump 3 tonnes of water on the pitch at the end of day 4, and watch the par score half (it hindsight it is amazing that match wasnt called off. They had heaters and blowers and all sorts on, but I think clay shrinks badly when you rapidly heat it, meaning those cracks would open up a lot. Asking England to bat after the pitch was tampered with was very unfair).

I see, it is Optus Stadium.

Curator said the wicket will be bowler friendly.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/crick ... 881044163z

I watched few days of test matches in three tests played in UAE. So this wicket is good for sake of variety in viewing as it support to pacers.
meninblue

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:04 pm

meninblue wrote:Curator said the wicket will be bowler friendly

Wonder if its the same guy who used to do it at the WACA, because in the last decade its become somewhat a tradition that he comes out before every test and proclaims the pitch has more spice than a goan vindaloo, and almost without fail every time the pitch turns out to be a pancake. He swore in the last Ashes it was a wicket that had been teleported from 1975, and then Australia made 600 on it.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Last test match I personally remember (Aussies might remember sooner examples) the WACA playing up to its reputation, was when Pakistan toured in 2004. Remember Ricky Ponting facing an over from Akhtar on it, and you felt no one would have begrudged Ricky for walking off for his own safety. Then Glenn McGrath took 8/20. I think after that it got flatter and flatter, to now, when its been tame

sussexpob

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches