World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

World T20 champs

Re: World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:14 am

ianp1970 wrote:So watch out for a QualiElimifier style format next time...

Why not just have India play every side twice, then automatically qualify for the final regardless of results? Seems to be the only way.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:07 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:Easier said than done when India 5-3 and 24-4 of 10 overs. In a situation like this you have to take the game deep just to remain in the competition.

The target you need to chase to win the game never changes, regardless of the dynamics in play during an innings. While it might be sensible at times to see a few overs out and stabilize an innings in a short term, the required "risk factor" you need to exhibit in order to chase down the target is only ever increasing proportionally in the remaining overs with every passing ball you dont attack or maintain the rate.

Take yesterday as an example. As Jadeja came to the crease the RR was at 7.5 required. Regardless of the horrendous situation that he came into (92/6 after 30.4 overs) it never changes the fact that to win the game they had to bat at 7.5 collectively. In fact, you can turn round and say Jadeja played a blinder, but in actuality he only batted just above the RR when he came in (7.8 per over on his SR).....so that means in order to win the game with Jadeja's magnificent effort, Dhoni had to match it at a SR of 119 over a period of 20 overs for India to win the game. He was in the 50s or low 60s I think once Jadeja got out, so he was nowhere near.

Using Dhoni's SR of 69, he'd have knocked off 41 of that RR in the allotted 20 overs. That leaves the rest needing to score 110 runs, or 11 runs per over, or SR183, which on average the most aggressive batters in the world come nowhere near in sustaining with frequency. ~How many people in the history of the game have scored 110 of 60 balls? In any format? The list is pretty exclusive.

The average T20 RR is 7.67 through the history of that format, factoring in top batsman playing pedal to the metal. The highest ever scores attained between two established T20I teams (ie minus the Afghan v Ireland games) have run rates just over the 12 per over mark. So Dhoni was essentially asking his tailenders to come up with innings that have rarely been attained by the best teams in history in the most aggressive formats of the game. The likelihood this scenario would have worked on a probability scale would be close to zero.

When the rate goes to around the 7-8 runs mark per over, regardless of the match situation you must at that point jettison the idea of "hanging in there", and have to be aware that letting the rate climb any further reduces your odds of victory by a dramatic effect. You will still have to be faced with the risk factor at some stage, it cant be ignored.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:14 am

Aussies bat. Presumably a big advantage.

Teams as expected.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:18 am

I fancy England though. Their bowlers have been quite economical in this WC, except for Rashid and Woakes. And I include Stokes among the tidy bowlers. And England have a better batting line up. Even so, Starc (and Cummins) could wreck the game.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:21 am

17 of last 21 games of this WC won by side batting first.

Guardian says Handscom is making his debut in a WC semi- but Wayne Larkins mae his in a WC final.

Nothing like getting your plans in place.

My own heads up here- Blundell in NZ squad hasn't played an ODI. A chance he might debut in the final. They need runs.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I fancy England though. Their bowlers have been quite economical in this WC, except for Rashid and Woakes. And I include Stokes among the tidy bowlers. And England have a better batting line up. Even so, Starc (and Cummins) could wreck the game.

If Starc turns up today, he can win this game on his own. He's miles away the most capable ODI quick in the world, when he gets that ball just to swing in that fraction late, he's unplayable. Australia have match winners mixed with meh, but its a one off game, they only need 1-2 players to make an impact and its their game.

Australia have the worse side on paper, but you just always feel Australia as a team have something about them for the big occasions....while England have a habit of fluffing their lines.

Should be a good match this.

Good luck to the Aussie boys here..... may the best team win :fight
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:27 am

Lose the toss, lose the game?

Confidence not high, but if England give it their best and play how they have over the last two games, they have a chance.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:30 am

sussexpob wrote:Good luck to the Aussie boys here..... may the best team win :fight

Amen.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 am

Interesting start - first ball hit for four by Warner. And Finch out first ball!
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:37 am

Surely he knew he hadnt hit it then? Bit of a waste of a review

sussexpob

Postby bigfluffylemon » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 am

Good start for England, Finch usually scores big against us. Now it's the sandpaper bros at the wicket.

If Australia have a weakness, it's that their middle order hasn't really been tested, as their openers have scored so many. Another early wicket or two will make things very interesting.
Last edited by bigfluffylemon on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
2022 Big Bash League FL
bigfluffylemon

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:38 am

sussexpob wrote:Surely he knew he hadnt hit it then? Bit of a waste of a review

Yep. Poor decision to review.
captaincolly

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:43 am

Massive moment... Warner fails.

sussexpob

Postby sussexpob » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:44 am

Massive moment... Warner fails.

sussexpob

Postby captaincolly » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:55 am

Might turn out to have been a good toss to lose. Time will tell.
captaincolly

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches