Australia tour of New Zealand - Feb 2016

World T20 champs

Re: Australia tour of New Zealand - Feb 2016

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:41 am

Doh! Kane goes. Just BJ and the tail left and 75 runs ahead. And... a new ball.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:43 am

After Southee's first ball faced, it gives the feeling that a long, reaguard action may end very soon
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 am

GarlicJam wrote:After Southee's first ball faced, it gives the feeling that a long, reaguard action may end very soon

and his second ball faced adds to that feeling.....
:dance
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Toby F » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:44 am

I hope Wagner is strapping on his full body padding. He might get a short one or two perhaps.
Toby F

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:48 am

It'd be entertaining if he hooked a few for six.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:01 am

Heading off to bed with just the hint of a feeling that I'm going to miss a Headingley 81 type turnaround.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:04 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Heading off to bed with just the hint of a feeling that I'm going to miss a Headingley 81 type turnaround.

If Watling hangs around until tea, there might be just enough for NZ to bowl at to hope for a miracle, but it will be just that. BJ and rain are all that stand between Australia and number 1. And despite the loss to England in the summer, it would be hard to say they didn't deserve it.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:09 am

Not so much the Aussie narrow defeat in England that undermines the Aussie number one spot. After all, Australia won 5-0 at home. But they could do with a win in Asia.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby alfie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:06 am

NZ on the brink of 300...

At what point , I wonder , does the lead (164 currently ) become a concern rather than just an annoyance ?

Quite a few more , I'd think : I am only following by text , but batting can't be all that difficult , so even 250 would surely not scare the chasing team unduly.

Might cause a few nerves , though.
alfie

Postby shankycricket » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:09 am

The worst fears have indeed come true. Congratulations New Zealand. :(
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby alfie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:21 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not so much the Aussie narrow defeat in England that undermines the Aussie number one spot. After all, Australia won 5-0 at home. But they could do with a win in Asia.

Not sure I'd describe the Ashes loss in England as "narrow". They were well beaten in the two decisive matches before recovering some face with a big win in a dead rubber...but I agree it shouldn't undermine their claim to the number one ranking .

At the same time that ranking is such a fluid thing at present I don't think it means a lot. Truth is Australia have last start away losses to England , India and Pakistan ; India home and away losses to England plus an away defeat to Australia - while SA have lost away to India and their latest home series against both England and Australia. As for England : their failure to defeat West Indies away combined with the heavy loss in Australia and successive losses in UAE keep them from any claim to a lofty perch at present...

Which all means someone has to top the table (and if Australia can grab three more wickets and avoid a batting meltdown it will soon be them) - but they probably shouldn't be bragging toomuch about it...
alfie

Postby bigfluffylemon » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:33 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not so much the Aussie narrow defeat in England that undermines the Aussie number one spot. After all, Australia won 5-0 at home. But they could do with a win in Asia.

That win was two years ago now, and the personnel are so different - in fact I think of the current Australian XI, only Warner, Smith and Lyon were involved in that from Australia. That's the problem with the rankings. And the top five teams are pretty close now - any of Australia, England, India, Pakistan and South Africa can beat each other, which makes it interesting (you'll generally favour the home team in any bilateral series involving those two, although as England in South Africa showed, anything is possible).
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby alfie » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:20 am

201 to win.

Well done the Bird for his Michelle :clap

Should get them all right - but a couple of early wickets might have the nerves jangling...
alfie

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:26 am

if Aus want to be ranked Number 1 they need to be able to win away, and they need to be able to chase medium sized totals.

Yep, should get them.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:19 am

I was hoping to see 50 on the board before any wickets went down. Close. Now not to lose a wicket for 5 or 10 overs.
Maybe
GarlicJam

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches