Third Test: West Indies v England, 1-5 May.

World T20 champs

Re: Third Test: West Indies v England, 1-5 May.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 03, 2015 11:05 pm

Cook is right that England played a lot of good cricket in the series (and Anderson and Root were excellent in particular). But I think there is a lot more they could get out of themselves with better leadership. A better captain would have won the series, and I think Cook's reflex defensiveness was crucial. And Moores probably should wonder whether he challenged that sufficiently.

And this on a day when the Head Prefect of Bowling Dry was mooted to become England manager.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun May 03, 2015 11:06 pm

Listening to Cook and Moores you would think England won the series.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun May 03, 2015 11:07 pm

England continue to refuse to accept anything is wrong.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 03, 2015 11:08 pm

Cook will bind this to the win v India and say it's enough. He's lucky to have the WC off his cv. Moores can't say the same.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun May 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:England continue to refuse to accept anything is wrong.

Moores is so deluded it is unbelievable.

The only saving point for Moores is that yougsters are doing well.

He does say some stupid stuff. I am gob smacked that Cooks and Moores still think everything is fine with English Cricket.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 03, 2015 11:13 pm

I think Cook and Moores are schooled in how to react. Like politicians, they must never admit to being wrong or making mistakes.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 03, 2015 11:20 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Last 30 hours are the darkest in English history

Cook needs the sack and Moore's too

Not worse than the whitewash. But otherwise, yes.

England didnt beat a team that is very poor. This bowling attack is shite, lets face it, and their batting has holes the size of galaxies in it.......

Losing to a decent side 5-0 is understandable, not beating a terrible team is immensely poor
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Id even sack Graves before he takes over, simply because this arrogant *modded* slated a team we couldnt even beat.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 03, 2015 11:23 pm

For me, not enough credit for the WI bowling in the second innings. The England bowling showed that the older ball flattened out the variable bounce, and made the pitch look quite slow. But WI took wickets at the top and threatened with the older ball. Holder bowled a nice spell today.

WI had a bit of luck, and Anderson bowled well in a losing cause later on, and might have made a breakthrough. Even more than the spinner, it's Cook's unwillingness to leave catchers in place that cost England. Whether making the most of the new ball and attacking in the first twenty overs, or leaving a presence in the slips when things are going against you- as when Bravo hit Anderson through second slip.

Ahead of the Ashes, I think, like Australia in 2013, the only change that can work in such limited time, is at the top.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 03, 2015 11:28 pm

sussexpob wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Last 30 hours are the darkest in English history

Cook needs the sack and Moore's too

Not worse than the whitewash. But otherwise, yes.

England didnt beat a team that is very poor. This bowling attack is shite, lets face it, and their batting has holes the size of galaxies in it.......

Losing to a decent side 5-0 is understandable, not beating a terrible team is immensely poor

Dunno. England were poor here. They were dismantled in the Ashes. They haven't recovered from that defeat, over a year later.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun May 03, 2015 11:35 pm

If anything (I'm aware I'm banging on too much, by the way, last post) sums up Cook's mentality, it came when Bravo edged a widish ball through second slip. Cook had been at first, and watched it fly by. Some captains might have stuck a slip in, after the event, and just worn the fact that everyone would have nutted the coffee table. But Cook went and stood at second slip himself, and pretended he could dive and cover three positions. Like superman.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby captaincolly » Sun May 03, 2015 11:35 pm

@TimPeachBBC: Alastair Cook to @BBCSport on Colin Graves' "mediocre" comments (http://t.co/WkHe3O9EUY)

"It was not ideal timing for the comments at all"

He's right about that, Graves' assessment was probably correct ( which makes a 1-1 draw a terrible result for England) but it was a big mistake to give that assessment in public unless he had an ulterior motive-ie he'd already decided to make changes and would be able to dismiss just about any result as not being good enough against this standard of opposition.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sun May 03, 2015 11:38 pm

sussexpob wrote:Id even sack Graves before he takes over, simply because this arrogant *modded* slated a team we couldnt even beat.

Not much different to Glenn McGrath predicting Australia are going to win The Ashes 5-0.

Graves knows what he's doing. By saying that West Indies are going to have a mediocre team, it gives him leverage to sack Moores, Cook and the selectors should England fail to win.

If anything, the way Trott and Moeen got shoehorned into the England side along with 4 out of 6 Yorkshire players doing nothing all series long is enough justification to get rid.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Sun May 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Maybe people from Yorkshire think Graves had a masterplan, but I think he just another corporate idiot who does know when to keep his mouth shut

sussexpob

Postby SaintPowelly » Sun May 03, 2015 11:41 pm

Alviro Patterson wrote:
sussexpob wrote:Id even sack Graves before he takes over, simply because this arrogant *modded* slated a team we couldnt even beat.

Not much different to Glenn McGrath predicting Australia are going to win The Ashes 5-0.

Graves knows what he's doing. By saying that West Indies are going to have a mediocre team, it gives him leverage to sack Moores, Cook and the selectors should England fail to win.

If anything, the way Trott and Moeen got shoehorned into the England side along with 4 out of 6 Yorkshire players doing nothing all series long is enough justification to get rid.

McGrath isn't emplyed by Cricket Australia though.
Bang-NZ ODI prediction guru
India vs Oz ODI fantasy league 2013
SA-WI Tests fantasy league 2015
Sheffield Shield fantasy league 2014-2015
SaintPowelly

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire Cricket, Southampton Football

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches