1st Test England v Pakistan, Lord's 14-18 July

World T20 champs

Re: 1st Test England v Pakistan, Lord's 14-18 July

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:42 pm

Chances are pakistan bowling attack would do the same and on paper right now pakistan got a far better bowling attack.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:48 pm

KipperJohn wrote:Moeen's fc average is only slightly better than Woakes - yet the former is a top order bat in Div 2 and Woakes is a lower order bat in Div 1. Woakes has made several winning scores for Warwicks and only weeks ago made the highest score for a number 8 in ODI history.

As I recall, when he first came on to the England scene his lower order batting was a significant factor in his selection.

However, as usual it's our batting that's the main problem. I don't think Stokes return particularly strengthens that area unless or until he brings some consistency.

Stokes is the great one by universal opinion but I agree to feel that way about him you have to ignore some of the worst batting by a top order player, seen in an England shirt. He is unquestionably far and away our best fielder and is greatly missed from the slip cordon. His bowling alone would not get him selected for England. He's an asset only if other batsmen are good enough to score the runs he won't make I would be surprised if he would've done any better than Balance did in this game.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:54 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
KipperJohn wrote:Moeen's fc average is only slightly better than Woakes - yet the former is a top order bat in Div 2 and Woakes is a lower order bat in Div 1. Woakes has made several winning scores for Warwicks and only weeks ago made the highest score for a number 8 in ODI history.

As I recall, when he first came on to the England scene his lower order batting was a significant factor in his selection.

However, as usual it's our batting that's the main problem. I don't think Stokes return particularly strengthens that area unless or until he brings some consistency.

Stokes is the great one by universal opinion but I agree to feel that way about him you have to ignore some of the worst batting by a top order player, seen in an England shirt. He is unquestionably far and away our best fielder and is greatly missed from the slip cordon. His bowling alone would not get him selected for England. He's an asset only if other batsmen are good enough to score the runs he won't make I would be surprised if he would've done any better than Balance did in this game.

Stokes has a terrible record against spin
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby backfootpunch » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:59 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Chances are pakistan bowling attack would do the same and on paper right now pakistan got a far better bowling attack.

Rahat and Amir were both awful with the new ball in both innings

Bowled all over the place

Anderson, broad and Woakes is streets better than rahat, wahab and Amir

We need to take a leaf out of the book of India and provide a pitch that favours our bowlers heavily
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:01 pm

TBH Ball, Finn, Ali and Stokes are not exactly great either.
If they go with a real green deck it would become a lottery not sure England would be 9 or 10 times out of 10 to win in those and in normal wickets pakistan got the edge because they have a better spinner and got bowlers that are far more lethal with the old ball.

Edit didn't pakistan take 3 cheap wicket in the 2nd innings wonder what that say about the english batsman if the pakistan opening bowling was poor.

TBH was general pakistan bowling not that great with the new ball but deadly with the old ball, Wahab certainly got more accurate and threatening when he got the ball to reverse.
Amir was nervous so he would probably get better, Rahat was ok but did take wicket now and then.
Yasir World class.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby The Professor » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:07 pm

Not a minute of this match I didn't enjoy - even in the , relatively, dry Day Three.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby backfootpunch » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:14 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:TBH Ball, Finn, Ali and Stokes are not exactly great either.
If they go with a real green deck it would become a lottery not sure England would be 9 or 10 times out of 10 to win in those and in normal wickets pakistan got the edge because they have a better spinner and got bowlers that are far more lethal with the old ball.

Edit didn't pakistan take 3 cheap wicket in the 2nd innings wonder what that say about the english batsman if the pakistan opening bowling was poor.

TBH was general pakistan bowling not that great with the new ball but deadly with the old ball, Wahab certainly got more accurate and threatening when he got the ball to reverse.
Amir was nervous so he would probably get better, Rahat was ok but did take wicket now and then.
Yasir World class.

Those four aren't going to be our bowling attack though are they

Ball and fInn are unlikely to play again in the series

On seamer friendly wickets anderson and broad are two of the three best bowlers in the world so we should back them to do the job

And we know have a much improved woakes to back them up

We need to play to our strength and not produce a dry flat pitch like this one

That just plays to pakistans strengths i.e Yasir and reverse swing
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:23 pm

Still a tough ask to win 2 games out of three, especially when pakistan are capable of winning one more game to draw the series at least.

Should still be remembered india won in the greenest pitch at lords in 2014 and by all reports Old trafford will suit pakistan massively because the concert *modded* up the outfield and the pitch is actually dry.
reverse swing and spin will happen there, hard to see the groundsman fixing it dramatically to make it a wet green deck in 4 days.
oval again might not suit England swing bowlers or game plan, really only edgbaston offers them that route.

Anyway what ever happens should be a cracking series right now pakistan hold the edges.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby KipperJohn » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:30 pm

England's batting today was pretty dire. Even Bairstow and Woakes continued to try and drive balls coming across them, having seen Hales and Vince perish.

If you didn't know otherwise you'd have thought a 3 sessions run chase was turning into an attempt at a draw.

3 whole sessions tomorrow - this time not lost to the weather.
KipperJohn

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:34 pm

Nothing happened in this test that really surprised me except Woakes was even better than one might expect and our batters succumbed more easily to Yasir Shah than I thought possible.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:38 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2016 ... ers-shine/
there is clearly something wrong with berry, 2 months ago he mentioned england at all times should not produce green decks this summer so they can be better prepared for the winter tours and more prepared for the Australia tour in 18 months time.
Now saying prepare green decks lol.
Berry at least be consistent now.
He even said last time around it is wrong to have green decks in England apart from the Ashes and the crowd should see 4 or 5 day epic test matches and not one sided contest that no one watches.
Last edited by Dr Cricket on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby backfootpunch » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:38 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Still a tough ask to win 2 games out of three, especially when pakistan are capable of winning one more game to draw the series at least.

Should still be remembered india won in the greenest pitch at lords in 2014 and by all reports Old trafford will suit pakistan massively because the concert *modded* up the outfield and the pitch is actually dry.
reverse swing and spin will happen there, hard to see the groundsman fixing it dramatically to make it a wet green deck in 4 days.
oval again might not suit England swing bowlers or game plan, really only edgbaston offers them that route.

Anyway what ever happens should be a cracking series right now pakistan hold the edges.

What was the result in that series against india?

All I'm saying is dont write us off yet

backfootpunch

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:44 pm

TBH I won't considering probably would have a punt on England on the series market if the odds are good, but I do really think england hopes lies with Anderson and broad England are really one injury or poor game away from not having an attack that would trouble Pakistan enough to make them certainties in my eyes to win the test or series.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:46 pm

Woakes should paste a copy of England's series stats on his wall while he's top of both batting and bowling averages. It's unlikely to last long.

hopeforthebest

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08 pm

wonder if Botham still thinks england the number 1 test team in the world.
Still the biggest mystery how he was england greatest cricketer.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches