World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

World T20 champs

Re: World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Dhoni finally gets the memo.... Neesham into the stands
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:46 pm

Six from Dhoni. Bound to target this over.

Need a wicket...
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:48 pm

Dhoni ran out it looks
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Well done New Zealand. Two CWC finals in a row.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Dhoni goes. That innings is going to divide opinion.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:52 pm

And a wicket for Ferguson now.

What a turn up. Brilliant from the NZ attack.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:57 pm

All over.

Maybe the format needs a tweak?

;)
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:58 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:All over.

Maybe the format needs a tweak?

;)

I suspect that a lot of tickets to the final will be easy to get tomorrow morning.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:11 pm

Win the toss, win the match? Again?

Caps off to New Zealand though. Defending 240 after what looked like a poor batting effort, but it was a very slow track and they obviously judged it better than we realised watching. Back to back finals from them - well done.

For the second time in three games Dhoni has arguably cost India the game chasing though. A strike rate of 69 when India needed a run a ball when he came to the crease - he left Jadeja too much to do. It was testament to how good Jadeja's innings was that they came close. Dhoni really must be past it in this format. Time to bow out.

This has certainly been a tournament to defy predictions. No one gave New Zealand much of a chance coming into this game, no one gave Sri Lanka or Pakistan much of a chance against England, or South Africa v Australia, etc. etc. Australia thumped England earlier in the tournament, but England are on a roll, at a favoured ground and Australia have injury problems - on paper it's close, maybe England slight favourites, which given the above, makes me rather nervous.

I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, but I hope it's not as simple as win the toss, win the game (although I won't be complaining if England do). But I really hope it's not a second Australia-New Zealand final in four years that Australia win.

Kohli's scores in his last 2 World Cup semis and the Champion's Trophy final: 1, 5, 1. Are India the new tournament chokers?
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:17 pm

Oh, and one hell of a run-out from Guptill to dismiss Dhoni. Outside the circle, one stump to aim at, and he scored a direct hit with Dhoni 2 inches shy of his ground. Unbelievable stuff. Guptill's had a horror tournament, but that was a moment of genius.

Just imagine if Australia win tomorrow after losing their final group game. Everyone was saying that both Australia and India would rather play New Zealand in the semi - perhaps it would be a tactical ploy after all...
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:30 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:Win the toss, win the match? Again?

Caps off to New Zealand though. Defending 240 after what looked like a poor batting effort, but it was a very slow track and they obviously judged it better than we realised watching. Back to back finals from them - well done.

For the second time in three games Dhoni has arguably cost India the game chasing though. A strike rate of 69 when India needed a run a ball when he came to the crease - he left Jadeja too much to do. It was testament to how good Jadeja's innings was that they came close. Dhoni really must be past it in this format. Time to bow out.

This has certainly been a tournament to defy predictions. No one gave New Zealand much of a chance coming into this game, no one gave Sri Lanka or Pakistan much of a chance against England, or South Africa v Australia, etc. etc. Australia thumped England earlier in the tournament, but England are on a roll, at a favoured ground and Australia have injury problems - on paper it's close, maybe England slight favourites, which given the above, makes me rather nervous.

I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, but I hope it's not as simple as win the toss, win the game (although I won't be complaining if England do). But I really hope it's not a second Australia-New Zealand final in four years that Australia win.

Kohli's scores in his last 2 World Cup semis and the Champion's Trophy final: 1, 5, 1. Are India the new tournament chokers?

Sachin never scored big in the biggest games either maybe the expectations of a billion people gets a bit heavy in those games on the star man
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:51 pm

Seems one of the consistent themes of this world cup, that so many sides rather watch a RR escalate out of control to the point they have no choice but to last ditch desperation slog, than ever try to keep it manageable. Its like watching someone with a potentially fatal wound content themselves with slowly bleeding to death, rather than seek immediate help. There are two ways to lose a game, 10 wickets falling or not making enough runs; it seems the latter is very much not treated with enough importance, and that most teams seem to back themselves to score 75 runs in 5 overs at the end, having allowed themselves countless overs of a few singles here and there.

England are arguably the only team that have the approach right; the execution hasnt been perfect, but at least England virtually all the time are looking at the rate and attacking it. And when wickets dont fall, their top order isnt going to sit around wondering, its coming straight for you. Just feel like a lot of teams died wondering in this tournament, and India are one.

Of course you could say Dhoni needed to keep his wicket intact, and that was true for the first 20-30 balls, but there is no point just walking off a cliff in a suicide mission.

sussexpob

Postby yuppie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:53 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
bigfluffylemon wrote:Win the toss, win the match? Again?

Sachin never scored big in the biggest games either maybe the expectations of a billion people gets a bit heavy in those games on the star man

Kholis record in world cup knock out games is not good. Scores of 24, 9, 35, 3, 1 and 1. For a total of 73 at and average of 12 with a SR of 56. In 6 innings thats less then What Damien Martyn has scored in one world cup final. :rasta

Its unusual as he seems to thrive when there is a lot of friction on the field.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:16 pm

sussexpob wrote:Seems one of the consistent themes of this world cup, that so many sides rather watch a RR escalate out of control to the point they have no choice but to last ditch desperation slog, than ever try to keep it manageable. Its like watching someone with a potentially fatal wound content themselves with slowly bleeding to death, rather than seek immediate help. There are two ways to lose a game, 10 wickets falling or not making enough runs; it seems the latter is very much not treated with enough importance, and that most teams seem to back themselves to score 75 runs in 5 overs at the end, having allowed themselves countless overs of a few singles here and there.

England are arguably the only team that have the approach right; the execution hasnt been perfect, but at least England virtually all the time are looking at the rate and attacking it. And when wickets dont fall, their top order isnt going to sit around wondering, its coming straight for you. Just feel like a lot of teams died wondering in this tournament, and India are one.

Of course you could say Dhoni needed to keep his wicket intact, and that was true for the first 20-30 balls, but there is no point just walking off a cliff in a suicide mission.

Easier said than done when India 5-3 and 24-4 of 10 overs. In a situation like this you have to take the game deep just to remain in the competition. Dhoni did a brilliant job in stabilising innings under tricky conditions and with little batting to come, this allowed Jadeja to come in and express himself at a clutch moment.

Even in the last three overs when the required run rate was going towards 15, Jadeja and Dhoni still looked assured in the middle. Jadeja's dismissal was a shot of instinct, had he not got out at point then Dhoni would have stepped up in the penultimate over.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:28 pm

:
sussexpob wrote:Seems one of the consistent themes of this world cup, that so many sides rather watch a RR escalate out of control to the point they have no choice but to last ditch desperation slog, than ever try to keep it manageable. Its like watching someone with a potentially fatal wound content themselves with slowly bleeding to death, rather than seek immediate help. There are two ways to lose a game, 10 wickets falling or not making enough runs; it seems the latter is very much not treated with enough importance, and that most teams seem to back themselves to score 75 runs in 5 overs at the end, having allowed themselves countless overs of a few singles here and there.

With the way jadeja played all dhoni had to do was bat with a bit of positive intent and not block and india wouldve coasted it

Obviously the early wickets made it very hard but a few more singles here and there and they win
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches