World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

World T20 champs

Re: World Cup semis & final, July 9-14

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:50 pm

During the final few overs, Dhoni was clearly looking to go big but Lockie Ferguson just put it on the spot and cleverly worked it round for singles. Good cricket played there as it puts the ball back in New Zealand's court, all it needs is a no ball free hit and momentum changes.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:10 pm

backfootpunch wrote::
sussexpob wrote:Seems one of the consistent themes of this world cup, that so many sides rather watch a RR escalate out of control to the point they have no choice but to last ditch desperation slog, than ever try to keep it manageable. Its like watching someone with a potentially fatal wound content themselves with slowly bleeding to death, rather than seek immediate help. There are two ways to lose a game, 10 wickets falling or not making enough runs; it seems the latter is very much not treated with enough importance, and that most teams seem to back themselves to score 75 runs in 5 overs at the end, having allowed themselves countless overs of a few singles here and there.

England are arguably the only team that have the approach right; the execution hasnt been perfect, but at least England virtually all the time are looking at the rate and attacking it. And when wickets dont fall, their top order isnt going to sit around wondering, its coming straight for you. Just feel like a lot of teams died wondering in this tournament, and India are one.

Of course you could say Dhoni needed to keep his wicket intact, and that was true for the first 20-30 balls, but there is no point just walking off a cliff in a suicide mission.

With the way jadeja played all dhoni had to do was bat with a bit of positive intent and not block and india wouldve coasted it

Obviously the early wickets made it very hard but a few more singles here and there and they win

The rate was at 14 plus when Jadeja got out. His strike rate through the innings was what, 7 an over? What exactly says Jadeja had the capability to win the game? 14 an over translates as a what, 233SR...

No one really comes with a 100SR of that on average, and very few worthwhile scores are made like that.

Despite the fall of wicket, the game was over well before Jadeja got out
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:33 pm

sussexpob wrote:
backfootpunch wrote::
sussexpob wrote:Seems one of the consistent themes of this world cup, that so many sides rather watch a RR escalate out of control to the point they have no choice but to last ditch desperation slog, than ever try to keep it manageable. Its like watching someone with a potentially fatal wound content themselves with slowly bleeding to death, rather than seek immediate help. There are two ways to lose a game, 10 wickets falling or not making enough runs; it seems the latter is very much not treated with enough importance, and that most teams seem to back themselves to score 75 runs in 5 overs at the end, having allowed themselves countless overs of a few singles here and there.

England are arguably the only team that have the approach right; the execution hasnt been perfect, but at least England virtually all the time are looking at the rate and attacking it. And when wickets dont fall, their top order isnt going to sit around wondering, its coming straight for you. Just feel like a lot of teams died wondering in this tournament, and India are one.

Of course you could say Dhoni needed to keep his wicket intact, and that was true for the first 20-30 balls, but there is no point just walking off a cliff in a suicide mission.

With the way jadeja played all dhoni had to do was bat with a bit of positive intent and not block and india wouldve coasted it

Obviously the early wickets made it very hard but a few more singles here and there and they win

The rate was at 14 plus when Jadeja got out. His strike rate through the innings was what, 7 an over? What exactly says Jadeja had the capability to win the game? 14 an over translates as a what, 233SR...

No one really comes with a 100SR of that on average, and very few worthwhile scores are made like that.

Despite the fall of wicket, the game was over well before Jadeja got out

Huh?

I was agreeing with you :lol:
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:42 pm

I think it was about 10 when Jadeja got out, and he had been going at about 140 (i.e. close to 9 an over) when he was on strike. It was unlikely but feasible he could have got India home with some better support from Dhoni.

But I agree with you, India, Dhoni especially, paced the chase all wrong.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:I think it was about 10 when Jadeja got out, and he had been going at about 140 (i.e. close to 9 an over) when he was on strike. It was unlikely but feasible he could have got India home with some better support from Dhoni.

Nope, I was wrong, it was 37 off 3 overs.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:09 pm

bigfluffylemon wrote:I think it was about 10 when Jadeja got out, and he had been going at about 140 (i.e. close to 9 an over) when he was on strike. It was unlikely but feasible he could have got India home with some better support from Dhoni.

Sorry I misread. See my post above (I posted the RRR was 14 as Jadeja got out).....not that it matters, as we agree
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 pm

So Handscom will be in for UK. I'd guess that pushes Smith up to three.

Aussies have never lost a WC semi.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby yuppie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:So Handscom will be in for UK. I'd guess that pushes Smith up to three.

I hope you're saying that tomorrow AC. But England should have learnt from the group stage and have Roy back.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:56 pm

yuppie wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:So Handscom will be in for UK. I'd guess that pushes Smith up to three.

I hope you're saying that tomorrow AC. But England should have learnt from the group stage and have Roy back.

Imo it's crazy he isn't there from the beginning.

sussexpob

Postby backfootpunch » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Wonder if the aussies will finally realise carey is a miles better batsmen than stoinis and maxwell

He has to bat 5 in this line up at the lowest
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:30 pm

Just saw some footage on the news. Impressive run out from Guptill. Handy catch from Neesham too.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Bit of a well deserved nod to Rohit Sharma in order. Incredible record to get five hundreds (plus a fifty) and at a decent SR. I guess he won't be Player of the WC because he won't be in the final, but he couldn't have done a lot more.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:38 pm

sussexpob wrote:
yuppie wrote:

Imo it's crazy he isn't there from the beginning.

Khawaja didn't have a good WC. A bit of a surprise pick.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:17 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:All over.

Maybe the format needs a tweak?

;)

Don't miss this one.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... semi-final
Arthur Crabtree

Postby ianp1970 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:42 am

So watch out for a QualiElimifier style format next time...
Sports broadcasting media nut miscast as a hard-working family man. Or should that be the other way around?

2020 Women's T20 World Cup
2019 New Zealand v Bangladesh Tests, Vitality Blast & County Championship Division 1 6 Nations Rugby, Wimbledon Tennis & US Open Tennis
2018 New Zealand v West Indies Combined, Afghanistan v Bangladesh T20s, England v Pakistan Tests, England v India T20s+ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests, Mzansi Super League & Bangladesh v West Indies Combined Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football & French Open Tennis
2017 Premier League Football, French Open Tennis & Wimbledon Tennis
2016 South Africa v England ODIs, England v Sri Lanka Tests, County Championship Division 2 & Australia v New Zealand ODIs Australian Open Tennis, 6 Nations Rugby, Masters Golf, Premier League Football, Players Golf, US PGA Golf & US Open Tennis
2015 Indian Premier League, The Ashes & England v Australia ODIs Masters Golf, Premier League Football & US PGA Golf
2014 Australia v England ODIs 6 Nations Rugby, Premier League Football, Players Golf, Wimbledon Tennis, Open Golf & US Open Tennis
2013 Players Golf, Premier League Football, French Open Tennis, Open Golf & US PGA Golf
2012 New Zealand v Zimbabwe ODIs, Sri Lanka v England Tests Betting & WI vs NZ ODIs US Open Golf & Open Golf
2011 India v England ODIs & Bangladesh v Pakistan Combined Wimbledon Tennis
ianp1970

Team(s) Supported: England
Warwickshire
Rugby
Market Deeping

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches