First Test: England v New Zealand, May 21-25.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: First Test: England v New Zealand, May 21-25.

Postby sussexpob » Thu May 14, 2015 11:14 pm

greyblazer wrote:Plunkett offers something different to this attack. A yard of pace which you need to break partnerships. Anyway, more than criticizing Cook, I was just amazed that he is so sensitive to what each commentator says about his captaincy.

Problem with Plunkett is, you dont seem to get long spells out of him, he is a shorter spell bowler.... that leaves more overs for a fifth bowler, who in this case is Mo Ali and Root.... and that is a duo that in the long term will not pay off
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 16, 2015 11:44 am

Wonder if Broad is going to be disciplined for allegedly missing an evening with English cricket stakeholders for private event? If he can't be trusted off the field, can Strauss trust him to propel a ball out in the middle?
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 16, 2015 12:27 pm

How is this going to go? I know it's conventional to favour the tourists because of their strong bowling in particular. But England are at home, and that usually counts for a lot. England struggled in NZ, because they couldn't swing a kookaburra in their conditions, and the Kiwis could. But England don't normally have difficulty getting movement at home. Yet England seem a fragile side, and NZ tough and pragmatic. Hard to predict. Shame the series isn't longer.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby westoelad » Sat May 16, 2015 1:33 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Wonder if Broad is going to be disciplined for allegedly missing an evening with English cricket stakeholders for private event? If he can't be trusted off the field, can Strauss trust him to propel a ball out in the middle?

Not so sure it can be called a private event when it involved media commitments. Had the event not come into the public domain Freddy' s tweet probably wouldn't have been lashed onto. Suspect the media will have a field day if he doesn't get banned claiming double standards on the trust issue.
westoelad

Postby Aidan11 » Sat May 16, 2015 1:36 pm

I still think we will be too strong for NZ.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 16, 2015 1:38 pm

westoelad wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Wonder if Broad is going to be disciplined for allegedly missing an evening with English cricket stakeholders for a private event? If he can't be trusted off the field, can Strauss trust him to propel a ball out in the middle?

Not so sure it can be called a private event when it involved media commitments. Had the event not come into the public domain Freddy' s tweet probably wouldn't have been lashed onto. Suspect the media will have a field day if he doesn't get banned claiming double standards on the trust issue.

I meant the private event was his own night out that he missed the sponsors' do for. The incident doesn't seem to be provoking a lot of interest.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Sat May 16, 2015 1:50 pm

NZ batsmen are essentially ODI players, all of whom are vulnerable to good accurate bowling on and outside off. (Williamson excepted). However, England's batsmen are equally susceptible so I think it will be a battle of the bowlers who'll decide the outcome.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby westoelad » Sat May 16, 2015 1:57 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
westoelad wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Wonder if Broad is going to be disciplined for allegedly missing an evening with English cricket stakeholders for a private event? If he can't be trusted off the field, can Strauss trust him to propel a ball out in the middle?

I meant the private event was his own night out that he missed the sponsors' do for. The incident doesn't seem to be provoking a lot of interest.

Early days-it only broke this morning. ECB or selectors reaction to it is what will provoke the interest.
westoelad

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 16, 2015 2:54 pm

PA report is that England have accepted Broad was ill.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat May 16, 2015 2:57 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:NZ batsmen are essentially ODI players, all of whom are vulnerable to good accurate bowling on and outside off. (Williamson excepted). However, England's batsmen are equally susceptible so I think it will be a battle of the bowlers who'll decide the outcome.

McCullum has broken through as a Test bat. Watling can't be underestimated. Neesham made a good start in Tests. But, yes, I more favour NZ in the ODIs.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Aidan11 » Sat May 16, 2015 3:41 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:PA report is that England have accepted Broad was ill.

Technically he would be with a massive hangover.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby KipperJohn » Sat May 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Expect the slip cordon to be Cook, Lyth and Jordan. Cook to place Bell in his old position at short leg in the hope that he'll be decapitated.
KipperJohn

Postby westoelad » Sat May 16, 2015 7:19 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:PA report is that England have accepted Broad was ill.

That's because he's got their trust-had a "sick" note.
westoelad

Postby sussexpob » Sat May 16, 2015 7:41 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:NZ batsmen are essentially ODI players, all of whom are vulnerable to good accurate bowling on and outside off. (Williamson excepted). However, England's batsmen are equally susceptible so I think it will be a battle of the bowlers who'll decide the outcome.

For me its all about what happens at the top of both innings, in the 1-3 slots. The New Zealand openers arent the strongest, and England need to be getting at Williamson and Taylor early to pressure them. If England allow the top three to score, then they could lead them to problems. For New Zealand, they really need to do the same, pressure the top of the innings and get to the likes of Bell and Ali who are under pressure.

Bowling attacks are relatively similar. No real game winning spin options between them, decent new ball attacks that can pose problems, first change options are a little underwhelming.

Not sure the conditions will really favou either team. New Zealand should be able to swing the ball, and they play on bouncy, seaming wickets that allow for movement, they shouldnt be fased with anything that English pitches have to serve up. But England have lost tests to worse teams recently.

Should be a good series in fairness.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby greyblazer » Sun May 17, 2015 5:18 am

McCullum has scored double tons, 195 and a triple ton in different conditions, in recent times. I believe many underestimate him as a Test match player. However, even yesterday, he was playing in the IPL. So won't be easy to adjust to English conditions. Watling has time and again shown that when it does a bit off the seam, he can hold the innings together. Ross Taylor may not be pleasing to the eye, but he averages 45 in Test cricket. Of course, there is Kane Williamson and remember, Taylor's average is similar to Wiliamson. If England need to win, Anderson or whoever has to strike up front.

For NZ, they need Latham/Guptill/Rutherford to rotate the strike and not allow Anderson to bowl at a particular batsman. Anderson likes to bowl over after over at a batsman to work him out. Australian batsmen after the Trent Bridge Test, frustrated him by rotating the strike. If they keep Anderson down, England are in some trouble unless Broad wakes up. Tim Southee and more so Trent Boult generally bowl a fuller length when compared to English bowlers. It may play a part. I would go for Matt Henry as the third seamer. Very good prospect.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches