The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff, July 8-12

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff, July 8-12

Postby from_the_stands » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:44 pm

So here we are again, at that magical time in our sport when two great rivals go head to head. It doesn't seem that long ago that the Aussies were wiping the floor with England. A new battle is about to begin, with the first encounter in Cardiff. Michael Clarke's men will be looking to be the first Australian team to win the Ashes in England since Steve Waugh's side accomplished the feat in 2001. That is far too long between drinks for my liking. The Aussies are the run away favourites in this, but I suspect the Poms will be no pushovers.

The big question for Australia is who misses out for Ryan Harris? Surely Chris Rogers will return to the side for Shaun Marsh, who will no doubt get the spot back once Rogers retires after this series. I guess it might be Mitchell Starc will be the unlucky one to make way for Harris, who I suspect will also retire after this series, with Starc slotting straight back in when he does.

It will be the last Ashes campaign for a few Aussies, I suspect. Chris Rogers, Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Michael Clarke, Shane Watson, and possibly Mitchell Johnson... and, err, Adam Voges will all make way for the next generation.

Peering over at what the Old Enemy are up too, they will depend on the likes of Cook, Root and Ballance for most of their runs. I like the look of Jos Buttler and James Taylor. The Sherminator might be on his last legs. Bowling wise, other than Broad and Anderson, the cupboard looks a bit thin. I thought Moen Ali looked promising, and I was quite impressed with Simon Treadwell during the West Indies tour. The English selectors look like they may go for Adil Rashid, whom I'm a bit undecided about, tbh.

My prediction is that the Aussies will win the opener, with Warner, Smith, Clarke and Voges all scoring tons during the course of the match, and England struggling to make a combined score of 500. If we're lucky, Johno will grow his tash back. Twatto will do his usual - nothing.

Bring it on!

:box

"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: The Ashes; First Test, Cardiff, July 8-12

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:13 am

Wood looks the most promising pace bowler England have had to replace Tremlett and Bresnan. England's attack will be competent, and will bowl the Aussies out at times. But I'd guess the Aussie attack will be too good for the home batters.

My hunch also is that Starc will miss out in Cardiff. And the Aussies will go 1-0 up.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:18 am

Doubt Rashid will play, at least until everything has gone badly wrong. If he wasn't trusted in WI, why should he be in the Ashes? Unless Bayliss is a fan.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:19 am

Cancel The Ashes and lets have another 3 tests, 2 ODIs and 4 Twenty20s against New Zealand!
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:20 am

The Kiwis are burned out.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:22 am

An ODI tri series might have worked? As things turned out.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:30 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:An ODI tri series might have worked? As things turned out.

That would be a better curtain raiser than the 2005 Ashes. Lets face it, ODIs after The Ashes are pointless regardless of who wins. Just play five T20is to finish it off if test grounds need to generate some revenue.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 am

For the Aussies i think Starc has to play. Otherwise there will be just to much change after this series with too many of the older players about to leave the scene. Starc is one for the future, and this bowling line up could be a unit for the next 3 years. Harsh on Harris, but Australia has to prepare for the future and picking Starc does not weaken this Austrailan team. Australia have to decide what to do with Watson, and who will open with Warner. Other than this its a pretty settled team.

I can see the Aussie bats struggling and Wood will cause plenty of problems. The English bowling line up is certainly no push over. On top of this the English camp will also carry over plenty of good vibes from there recent performance's against NZ.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:11 am

In Cardiff so expect rain.

England will imo go in with the same XI as they had in last test.

The same with the Aussies, I would think. Maybe Rogers for Marsh?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:20 am

I would think Rodgers would come in for Marsh.

If overcast I also fear for the Australian bats with the moving ball. Just don't have the technique for it.

Lyon against the Left handers could prove vital in Cardiff.
yuppie

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:25 am

When the Aussies came here in 2013 they had just changed their coach and were uncertain about who their best spinner was now the situation is reversed, England have a new coach and the spin question must be occupying their minds.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Gingerfinch » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:02 am

Any CMSers going to this one?
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Aidan11 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:27 am

Cardiff :angry :angry :angry :angry
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby yuppie » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:43 am

hopeforthebest wrote:When the Aussies came here in 2013 they had just changed their coach and were uncertain about who their best spinner was now the situation is reversed, England have a new coach and the spin question must be occupying their minds.

So maybe we wont see England prepare such spinner friendly pitches that we saw in 2013? That would be a shame
yuppie

Postby The Waugh Twins » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:55 pm

Aidan11 wrote:Cardiff :angry :angry :angry :angry

Yes not the classic way to start the Ashes, still can't live in the past and money talks in cricket these days.

Maybe when you guys come down under we can play Darwin, Cairns, and Townsville, then down to the old TCA in Hobart finishing off at Lilac Hill in Perth.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Next

Return to Live Cricket Matches