The Ashes; Second Test, Lord's, July 16-20

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: The Ashes; Second Test, Lord's, July 16-20

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:21 pm

Aidan11 wrote:The mark for Anderson is over-generous.

He did absolutely nothing in this test.

Yes, Willis did add that it was his worst ever Test at Lords so for once Bob is being kind with his score.
captaincolly

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, England

Postby yorker_129-7 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:47 pm

captaincolly wrote:Bob Willis is tweeting his verdicts on the England players, think he's sentencing a few of them to death judging by these scores!
Cook 7/10, Lyth 0/10, Ballance 1/10, Bell 1/10, Root 5/10, Stokes 7/10, Buttler 3/10, Moeen 5/10, Broad 6/10, Wood 3/10, Anderson 3/10.
:lol:

Seems harsh to give Bell and Ballance more than Lyth. Also Broad deserves a 7.

Root probably also a mark too high, didn't do much. I'm not counting his buying of two wickets,
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Willis suggesting Stoneman could be a good option to replace Lyth before deciding to go for Hales!
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:00 pm

England are going to burn through every opener out there.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:06 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:England are going to burn through every opener out there.

Looks like it. Bob seemed to be going for Stoneman as one of those players who might step up to test cricket despite a modest FC record a la Vaughan & Tresco before he settled on Hales despite doubting if his technique is up to it!
captaincolly

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 pm

captaincolly wrote:Bob Willis is tweeting his verdicts on the England players, think he's sentencing a few of them to death judging by these scores!
Cook 7/10, Lyth 0/10, Ballance 1/10, Bell 1/10, Root 5/10, Stokes 7/10, Buttler 3/10, Moeen 5/10, Broad 6/10, Wood 3/10, Anderson 3/10.
:lol:

Stokes gets a 7/10 despite scoring an idiotic duck and giving away 0/130 odd.....
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:19 pm

Why is Willis saying they need help getting sideways movement, because they don't have any pace... won't the Aussie bowlers just get sideways movement faster?
Arthur Crabtree

Postby sussexpob » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:22 pm

captaincolly wrote:Willis suggesting Stoneman could be a good option to replace Lyth before deciding to go for Hales!

Well, if Stoneman COULD be a good option, then so COULD anyone.

Last few batsman to get the slot had great seasons and good careers....a bloke scrapping an average of 30 over his career, and only 35 in his last two first class seasons smacks of pure desperation.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:24 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Why is Willis saying they need help getting sideways movement, because they don't have any pace... won't the Aussie bowlers just get sideways movement faster?

Think his theory is that the faster Aussie bowlers will get more out of slow pitches so England need to take a risk by preparing ones that will assist our bowlers even though it will make the Aussies even more dangerous.
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Willis saying Cook got out because he was tired and careworn. Which is a worry for him, because they are mental things, and Cook's overwhelming strengths as a batter are his mental attributes.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:26 pm

captaincolly wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Why is Willis saying they need help getting sideways movement, because they don't have any pace... won't the Aussie bowlers just get sideways movement faster?

Think his theory is that the faster Aussie bowlers will get more out of slow pitches so England need to take a risk by preparing ones that will assist our bowlers even though it will make the Aussies even more dangerous.

England's plan was based around drawing the teeth of the Aussie pace bowlers....
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:28 pm

Marcus is right. Bell looks needy and beseeching at the crease, like an insecure adolescent boyfriend.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Willis saying Cook got out because he was tired and careworn. Which is a worry for him, because they are mental things, and Cook's overwhelming strengths as a batter are his mental attributes.

Thought he got out because he played a daft shot personally. Funny that we're all happy to jump on th top three a based on their collective failure as soon as skip has made a couple of runs.

Said before the start of this test it would be interesting to hear the pundits on Cook's captaincy if things didn't go right. Unsuprisingly they're all a little quiet on the follow up to Cook's "Greatest Test".
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby captaincolly » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
captaincolly wrote:

England's plan was based around drawing the teeth of the Aussie pace bowlers....

That was plan A!
captaincolly

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:30 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Willis saying Cook got out because he was tired and careworn. Which is a worry for him, because they are mental things, and Cook's overwhelming strengths as a batter are his mental attributes.

Thought he got out because he played a daft shot personally. Funny that we're all happy to jump on th top three a based on their collective failure as soon as skip has made a couple of runs.

Said before the start of this test it would be interesting to hear the pundits on Cook's captaincy if things didn't go right. Unsuprisingly they're all a little quiet on the follow up to Cook's "Greatest Test".

It was a poor shot. I suppose they were trying to find some context for it.
Arthur Crabtree

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches