Women's Ashes, July 21-Aug 31

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Women's Ashes, July 21-Aug 31

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:25 am

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
dan08 wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:
dan08 wrote:I usually like watching women's cricket but the standard of batting in this game is absolutely appalling.

This against the two best teams, yet there are calls for all women's internationals to feature a test! Imagine the standard of a game between Sri Lanka and Pakistan :shock:

Women's tests might as well be scrapped. One test a year is pointless anyway. The standard is terrible, the players prefer the shorter formats and there isn't even multi-day cricket at domestic level.

I don't mind them playing tests, just don't televise it, and the fact it is called the Ashes is ridiculous as well. Burning a bat or something similar in 1998 doesn't quite have the same sort of historical appeal.
Aidan11 wrote:
I have to say I'm glad I didn't watch it.

I don't know how many tests England Women have played but more work is needed for us to play this type of cricket properly.

4 days is too long for a test where women are not used to playing multi-day cricke. I think 2 innings of 50 overs with the option of declaring in the 2nd innings would make for better playing and viewing.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:51 am

Lot of naysayers on here, but I thought this was an excellent promotion for the women's game. I mean really were the English batters much better than the Aussie men, and yet all praise for Cook and co. What a load of rubbish and hypocrisy.

What bugged me the most however with the BBc sports web was the ridiculous number of references to male cricketers during the female test. Do we reference constantly to the female cricketers whilst the male ashes is on?
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:52 am

The Waugh Twins wrote:Lot of naysayers on here, but I thought this was an excellent promotion for the women's game. I mean really were the English batters much better than the Aussie men, and yet all praise for Cook and co. What a load of rubbish and hypocrisy.

What bugged me the most however with the BBc sports web was the ridiculous number of references to male cricketers during the female test. Do we reference constantly to the female cricketers whilst the male ashes is on?

Um, no one knows the female cricketers names Mark.
The Waugh Twins

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:52 am

The Waugh Twins wrote:
The Waugh Twins wrote:Lot of naysayers on here, but I thought this was an excellent promotion for the women's game. I mean really were the English batters much better than the Aussie men, and yet all praise for Cook and co. What a load of rubbish and hypocrisy.

Um, no one knows the female cricketers names Mark.

That's not the point. :angry
The Waugh Twins

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:15 am

Alviro Patterson wrote:
4 days is too long for a test where women are not used to playing multi-day cricke. I think 2 innings of 50 overs with the option of declaring in the 2nd innings would make for better playing and viewing.

or........ they could play more 4 day cricket and get used to it
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby Durhamfootman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:16 am

the England girls have professional contracts now. they have nothing else to do, but get used to different aspects of the game
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:37 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:the England girls have professional contracts now. they have nothing else to do, but get used to different aspects of the game

That's a joke in itself, professionals? What are their contracts like, 2k a year? They certainly aren't worth much more given the standard and amount of interest shown in them.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:43 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Just tuned in to watch an over or two, batsman ducks a supposed bouncer, and gets bowled, hilarious. I played a fair bit of club cricket in my time, have never seen a dismissal as bad as that. Embarrassingly awful, a quick reminder for me, that women's cricket is truly awful.

Even the great Tendulkar ducked a bouncer and was given LBW.

I've seen one or two lbw's given from ducking bouncers. Neither was close to being out, just reckon the umpire went with the whole absurdity of the situation and thought the batsman deserved to be out. Malcolm Marshall was one of the bowlers in question, ball tracker would have had it clearing the stumps by a foot.

This was different, in that she ducked and was bowled, and because the bowling was so pedestrian the ball was on its way down as it went past her.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Aidan11 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:50 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Durhamfootman wrote:the England girls have professional contracts now. they have nothing else to do, but get used to different aspects of the game

That's a joke in itself, professionals? What are their contracts like, 2k a year? They certainly aren't worth much more given the standard and amount of interest shown in them.

£40,000 a year in 2014. Not sure if it's increased this year.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:55 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Just tuned in to watch an over or two, batsman ducks a supposed bouncer, and gets bowled, hilarious. I played a fair bit of club cricket in my time, have never seen a dismissal as bad as that. Embarrassingly awful, a quick reminder for me, that women's cricket is truly awful.

I've seen one or two lbw's given from ducking bouncers. Neither was close to being out, just reckon the umpire went with the whole absurdity of the situation and thought the batsman deserved to be out. Malcolm Marshall was one of the bowlers in question, ball tracker would have had it clearing the stumps by a foot.

This was different, in that she ducked and was bowled, and because the bowling was so pedestrian the ball was on its way down as it went past her.

Right.

My point was that misjudgements are easy to make - by the batter, the umpire and the viewer.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Aidan11 wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:

£38k too much then.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:22 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:

Right.

My point was that misjudgements are easy to make - by the batter, the umpire and the viewer.

You're more likely to make a misjudgement against at 90 mph delivery as against a 60 mph one.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby yuppie » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:59 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:
GarlicJam wrote:

Right.

This looks pretty bad

2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:

£38k too much then.

Unlike the footballing counterparts, at least the cricketers have earned the right for professional contracts having won the World Cup and World Twenty20. Problem is the gap between county cricket and international cricket at women's level is huge, the domestic competition is purely amateur and opportunities to play first class cricket does not exist.
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Postby Alviro Patterson » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:04 pm

Durhamfootman wrote:
Alviro Patterson wrote:

or........ they could play more 4 day cricket and get used to it

Where can the women cricketers play more 4 day cricket? I believe the central contracted players take on non-playing roles to make the professional contract of any value. It's not like the women cricketers are away for 250 days per year.

Alviro Patterson

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches