The Ashes; Fourth Test, Trent Bridge, Aug 6-10

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: The Ashes; Fourth Test, Trent Bridge, Aug 6-10

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:06 pm

The Waugh Twins wrote:
The Waugh Twins wrote:Just read an article that the Aussie bowlers were not up to scratch for the 3rd test. :lmao

With you on that Mark :lol:

Yep Steve it's side splitting material. :lmaoagain
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby The Waugh Twins » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:08 pm

The Waugh Twins wrote:I was all for having Haddin dropped before I found out about his family issues which likely contributed to some poor keeping. I'll be the first to say I got that wrong.

Coming back he should not have lost his place and that's a given.

The sport can never be bigger than life and when that happens you've lost touch with reality. Of course fans are only in touch with reality as long as a W stands next to their team's last performance.

Yep well said Mark.
The Waugh Twins

Team(s) Supported: United, Giants, Yankees, Galaxy, Oz cricket, CollyWobles

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:30 pm

Just heard the ODI game at Cardiff has been abandoned with the umpires declaring the pitch unfit for play. Australia might put in protest to the ICC about the ashes result there. :lol:
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby rich1uk » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:34 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:Just heard the ODI game at Cardiff has been abandoned with the umpires declaring the pitch unfit for play. Australia might put in protest to the ICC about the ashes result there. :lol:

don't follow this comment

what ODI game at Cardiff ?

edit : ah you mean the royal London game , bit strange deciding a pitch is unplayable so far into the game
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:05 am

There have long been a few followers of the England team who feel the UK cricket reporters are too closely embedded into the ECB dream factory. But my impression in this Ashes is that there has been a lot more press hostility to the Aussies, and a ramped up negativity about their team. In the same way that the UK press was encouraged to build up Cook and forget KP, I'm wondering if that comes as a directive from the ECB. It may be a response to the press hostility that England copped in Australia in the last whitewash, but its been a bit disappointing to me to see the UK media follow suit.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby yorker_129-7 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:28 am

I'm not so sure it's coordinated as much as a response to the fact that New Zealand won a lot of friends during their time in England earlier this year and frankly the Australian team themselves have come over here with what appears to be an intention to rub the Poms up the wrong way, either directly or indirectly resulting from the NZ series.

Plus it'd be the first time the press have happily toed the ECB line pretty much ever. The Australian team just aren't very likeable at present.
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:41 am

yorker_129-7 wrote:
Plus it'd be the first time the press have happily toed the ECB line pretty much ever. The Australian team just aren't very likeable at present.

I'm not sure I go along with either of those. Aside from Warner, Johnson and Haddin, it's hard to get wound up by this Aussie team. But I suppose that's personal perception. They do skate close to that line they talk about, but so do England.

And the press has been used as a publicity arm of the ECB for about five years. Witness the leaks, the lack of scrutiny over Downton, the press promotion of Cook following the whitewash, the requests from Downton/Strauss not to criticise Cook and the team, and not to mention KP (which press figures have alluded to).
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby KipperJohn » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:49 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:There have long been a few followers of the England team who feel the UK cricket reporters are too closely embedded into the ECB dream factory. But my impression in this Ashes is that there has been a lot more press hostility to the Aussies, and a ramped up negativity about their team. In the same way that the UK press was encouraged to build up Cook and forget KP, I'm wondering if that comes as a directive from the ECB. It may be a response to the press hostility that England copped in Australia in the last whitewash, but its been a bit disappointing to me to see the UK media follow suit.

Well Sky are a massive part of the media coverage and it's doubtful whether the likes of Ponting and Warne particularly would be a party to that. Could the ECB really get away with a 'directive' to the media/press?

Most reasonable people take what they read/ hear in the media with a pinch of salt anyway I would have thought .

I'm not convinced that much of it has been over the top (certainly on TV/radio ) or that hasn't been discussed here on CMS. You'd expect a bit about Haddin and Clarke etc. Still as I rarely pick up a paper these days I may well be wrong.
'
Neither do I think that the Ashes has really properly maintained it's part of the 'national sporting consciousness'.
KipperJohn

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Wood for Jimmy then? Will he also open the bowling, being a swinger?

It's anybody's guess as to what the Aussies are thinking. Watson could return, but for who. Voges, or Marsh? The other Marsh could also come in.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby dan08 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Shaun Marsh will come in for Voges.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:14 pm

During his first campaign fo the US presidency Clinton had the slogan in his office saying "it's the economy stupid".

I guess in the England dressing room their slogan is "it's the pitch stupid".

Strange differences in weather predictions, BBC says 5 clear days whils another site says rain and showers around.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby dan08 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:11 pm

@Benedict_B: If Wood replaces Anderson, England's surnames would total just 53 letters – breaking Australia’s record of 55 letters at Faisalabad in 1988
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby Aidan11 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:17 pm

dan08 wrote:@Benedict_B: If Wood replaces Anderson, England's surnames would total just 53 letters – breaking Australia’s record of 55 letters at Faisalabad in 1988

Some people have too much time on their hands :lmao
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby yorker_129-7 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:24 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:I'm not sure I go along with either of those. Aside from Warner, Johnson and Haddin, it's hard to get wound up by this Aussie team. But I suppose that's personal perception. They do skate close to that line they talk about, but so do England.

I think Australia's line is much further out there TBH. It's not just been the ones you've mentioned, there has been plenty of history with various Australian players. From "prepare for a broken ****in' arm" to Voges comments about a holiday camp, the Aussies in general don't appear to be on a particular mission to win friends or influence people.

Arthur Crabtree wrote:And the press has been used as a publicity arm of the ECB for about five years. Witness the leaks, the lack of scrutiny over Downton, the press promotion of Cook following the whitewash, the requests from Downton/Strauss not to criticise Cook and the team, and not to mention KP (which press figures have alluded to).

I'm afraid I find the idea that the British press will happily and unquestioningly toe the party line without question or comment to be unrealistic. The press was all too keen to stick the boot in on Strauss when the whole KP affair reared its ugly head earlier this summer. They didn't lay into Cook because it was pretty obvious Cook wasn't going anywhere, so what would have been the point in going after him? They did go after Flower, and Giles, and both went. Moores too, especially after the World Cup. In the case of Downton I don't think any of them really had a clue what was going on with him in the first place.

As for KP, well there was obviously all the stuff early in the summer but since then the England team have been more successful than many thought (I saw several people after the WI tour claiming they couldn't see England winning another test for a while), and on the only real occasion when England did capitulate, his Kevin-ness was off playing in (from an English perspective) an obscure T20 franchise tournament, had the Leicestershire innings come on the weekend of the second innings debacle at Lord's he would have been everywhere.
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Woakes was with the England squad in the nets at Edgbaston since when he's missed two RL games after having an injection in a knee to remove fluid. Almost every time he comes near the England set-up he needs to recover from injury.

hopeforthebest

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches