The Ashes 5th Test. The Oval. August 20-24.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes 5th Test. The Oval. August 20-24.

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:05 pm

To back Sussex point on Sehwag he use to purposely come out the crease on a very very green deck in Delhi and purposely miss the ball just so the bowler can bowl a bouncer and few half trackers.
Aakash chopra on the other end couldn't believe what he was doing and when he asked sehwag the guy said he did it so the bowler bowl shorter and he can score more easily.

Sehwag was really talented could have batted far better in tough overseas conditions.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:45 am

bhaveshgor wrote:To back Sussex point on Sehwag he use to purposely come out the crease on a very very green deck in Delhi and purposely miss the ball just so the bowler can bowl a bouncer and few half trackers.
Aakash chopra on the other end couldn't believe what he was doing and when he asked sehwag the guy said he did it so the bowler bowl shorter and he can score more easily.

Sehwag was really talented could have batted far better in tough overseas conditions.

While I do think Sehwag was an unique talent, I feel it is stretching the relms of sensibility to suggest that he was deliberately playing and missing at the ball to get a bowler to change their lengths.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby rich1uk » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:58 am

Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:To back Sussex point on Sehwag he use to purposely come out the crease on a very very green deck in Delhi and purposely miss the ball just so the bowler can bowl a bouncer and few half trackers.

While I do think Sehwag was an unique talent, I feel it is stretching the relms of sensibility to suggest that he was deliberately playing and missing at the ball to get a bowler to change their lengths.

yeah that does seem a little strange

surely if a batsman was playing and missing the bowler would keep bowling the same length as that's what the bowler would want him to be doing :dunno
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby dan08 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:20 pm

rich1uk wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:

yeah that does seem a little strange

surely if a batsman was playing and missing the bowler would keep bowling the same length as that's what the bowler would want him to be doing :dunno

:thumb
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby GarlicJam » Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Yeah, wot 'e ^ said.

Undeniable, though, that Sehwag was a fearsome player. One that I was always worried about, until he got out. A joy to watch at the same time, though.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:52 am

Here the article.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 89727.html

It sounds liked a plan.
Although reading it did sound like sehwag thinking he always batted the same way whatever the conditions.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby sussexpob » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:16 am

I think Chopra picks up on the same point I was making... that he backed up his ability to play aggressive cricket, and thats what worked. He has gaps in his record, but his away form is represented as much worse, as its clear they rushed him back in 2008 against England (got a pair) and after that, it always seemed like his eye sight had gone (he wore glasses in an MCC friendly about the same time, for the first time). At certain points in his career, bowlers had daft plans to bowl to him, as they were fearful of bowling normal lines and lengths. That suited him.

To bring it back to the point, being aggressive can have its benefits, as you force bowlers once you smack length balls to the boundary to think about what they are doing. On that trent bridge 4th test pitch, Steve Smith played a sensational boundary behind square for 4 two balls before Broad square him up. Not a bad ball, fractionally wide, got pasted. That kind of application can make bowlers spray and pray all over the place (but not in that instance).

Invention is a good skill to have, as is grittiness. Both can thrive, if you score runs quickly it forces bowlers to find other ways, if you stay around in at the crease it forces bowlers to look elsewhere. Bell at the moment is succeeding in neither. But either approach is the same end result. Force a bowler to re think from his normal line of attack, and in doing so, nullify his ability to find your wicket.

He either gets caught out playing defensively, or plays too aggressively and doesnt cash in on starts. Half the point of good test play is to get a score, and force bowlers to rethink the plan, often then drifting from time honoured ways of getting you out.

In order to play long innings you have to be able to reset your innings and be prepare to attack in bursts. I find Bell got carried away at Edgbaston, he got of to a flying start then started playing a shot a ball, and his luck run out.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches