The Ashes 5th Test. The Oval. August 20-24.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: The Ashes 5th Test. The Oval. August 20-24.

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:28 am

Arthur Crabtree wrote:His ambivalence over whether he should carry on.

There was no equivocation from Bell, he stated clearly his intention, not once did he talk of retirement. That was added by the media and others.

equivocation. the use of equivocal or ambiguous expressions, especially in order to mislead or hedge; prevarication. an equivocal, ambiguous expression; equivoque:

take stock (of something)
to examine a situation carefully.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:34 am

hopeforthebest wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:His ambivalence over whether he should carry on.

There was no equivocation from Bell, he stated clearly his intention, not once did he talk of retirement. That was added by the media and others

Not sure you can say he was clear. He talks of being tired and "looking forward to a break", and then clearly with regards to the immediate future says "he will take stock".

Taking stock has a false meaning to it, its correct traditional usage would mean that he was contemplating the issues raised in reference to a decision being made about those issues. As he was discussing the future, and discussing how mentally drained and need of a rest he was, I think that can adequately be (and literally has all over the place been interpreted as) seen as a hint at him considering taking a decision about his future.

If it wasnt in reference to "taking stock" on his future, then what is he referring to thinking about? If he isnt referring to a decision full stop, then he is using a more modern and improper understanding to the terminology, a double meaning against the naturally assumed one.

So that would be Equivocation.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:42 am

And while I cant see why Bell would say that, in those terms, to be purposefully dishonest, I can see that the England setup have used the misunderstood quote to rally behind him and get him some good PR. I think that is a sensible thing to do for the team if it is true that (a) he isnt considering retirement and (b) the team are not considering getting rid of him. By focusing on Ian Bell as a whole, through 11 years of test cricket, they have people thinking positively. Had the statement not been throw away, and so seemingly honestly given, I would have said its a brilliant exercised PR stunt to get people off his back and stop them thinking of his short term form.

Having said that, this does leave two rather worrying conclusions after....

1. By rallying behind Bell and seemingly not acknowledging him being cast aside at this point, England seem to be backing a player on a long period of poor form, to the extent that it would look stupid if he scores 4 ducks in a row and then jettison him. England have played the long card, the journo's had the opportunity to stick the knife in and declined to take it...... after everyone says "problem, what problem" it would leave everyone in the press and team with egg on their faces if they admitted fault so quickly.

2. My subversively mentioning tiredness, mental draining, and saying he would "take stock", Ian Bell did not paint the picture of a man raring to jump into future battles. Lots of negative language, lots of uncertainty. To get good, he has to believe in his ability and be positive. The statement oozes of anything but.

In fact, the only other conclusion from his words you can make is, if he wasnt taking "stock" of his career future on his own terms, he is inferring he might get dropped.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....

Postby rich1uk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:25 am

at the end of the day it shouldn't really be his decision anyway

I expect the selectors to bottle it and he will play all winter however , we can look forward to the occasional pretty 50 that his fans will drool over and tell everyone how that justifies his selection :roll:
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:13 am

The problem is there isn't exactly a long list of people to take his place

He would have been dropped already had James Taylor faired better in the county championship

1 hundred in 12 matches is unusually poor for him at a time when a good run would have got him in the team
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:55 am

The most successful domestic top order batsman over the last couple of seasons has been Scott Borthwick. Don't hear many suggesting him to come into the side.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:03 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:The most successful domestic top order batsman over the last couple of seasons has been Scott Borthwick. Don't hear many suggesting him to come into the side.

I did suggests him a few weeks ago but my only caveat was that he's another left hand bat. At present so many top order batsmen who might lay claim to an England place are lefties. Being a right hand batsman adds to Hale's appeal.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:47 pm

Not only is Bell staying, he's looking forward to winning in Australia in two years' time. Sorted.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:54 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:The most successful domestic top order batsman over the last couple of seasons has been Scott Borthwick. Don't hear many suggesting him to come into the side.

Taylor averages 45 this season, Borthwick 44.....

Taylor hasnt been brilliant recently, and thats why he isnt there. Borthwick has never had a real standout year yet. If he could do that, he puts himself in contention.

sussexpob

Postby rich1uk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:54 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not only is Bell staying, he's looking forward to winning in Australia in two years' time. Sorted.

that'll be a bit soon for him to be part of the coaching setup ;)
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not only is Bell staying, he's looking forward to winning in Australia in two years' time. Sorted.

If Bell can get back into form and start making proper runs then there is no reason for him not to be playing in two years time.

That's a big if at present.

hopeforthebest wrote:

I did suggests him a few weeks ago but my only caveat was that he's another left hand bat. At present so many top order batsmen who might lay claim to an England place are lefties. Being a right hand batsman adds to Hale's appeal.

More commenting on the fact we have a number three playing in the first division who's made over a 1000 runs at better than 40 for three seasons on the trott, yet he gets little to no mention. I read in the comments on cricinfo that Borthwick's batting "isn't good enough". If that's not good enough I don't know who you can suggest with a better record. That's even ignoring the fact that CLS is hardly renowned as a batsman's home.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:14 pm

sussexpob wrote:

Taylor averages 45 this season, Borthwick 44.....

Taylor hasnt been brilliant recently, and thats why he isnt there. Borthwick has never had a real standout year yet. If he could do that, he puts himself in contention.

Taylor has only had one meaningful innings, his average looks much better because he had a 290 which is 30% of his runs from 22 innings

Unusually inconsistent for him
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby yorker_129-7 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:16 pm

rich1uk wrote:

Mahela Jayawardene is already doing some work with England in the UAE this winter so not necessarily...
Anything can happen with a round ball.

Coz we're going up, and we'll win the cup, for Sussex by the Sea!

2011 Australian Open tennis prediction guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 Pakistan vs. West Indies prediction guru
2012 England vs. South Africa test predictions guru
2015 French Open tennis prediction guru
yorker_129-7

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:41 pm

yorker_129-7 wrote:
rich1uk wrote:

Mahela Jayawardene is already doing some work with England in the UAE this winter so not necessarily...

That's a baptism of fire

Trying to teach English batsmen to play spin

backfootpunch

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:42 pm

Are the ashes 2 years away, normally they are only 18 moths away from the series here.

hopeforthebest

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches