The Ashes 5th Test. The Oval. August 20-24.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: The Ashes 5th Test. The Oval. August 20-24.

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:46 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not only is Bell staying, he's looking forward to winning in Australia in two years' time. Sorted.

Are the ashes 2 years away, normally they are only 18 moths away from the series here.

Less than 18 months. 2009 series ended early sept and the 2010-11 ashes began in Nov the following year. Ptretty much the same for the 2005 and 2006-7 ashes.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby Gingerfinch » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:49 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
hopeforthebest wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:Not only is Bell staying, he's looking forward to winning in Australia in two years' time. Sorted.

Are the ashes 2 years away, normally they are only 18 moths away from the series here.

Less than 18 months. 2009 series ended early sept and the 2010-11 ashes began in Nov the following year. Ptretty much the same for the 2005 and 2006-7 ashes.

They seem to come around every 6 months at the moment. I'd be quite happy if there wasn't another ashes series for 3 year.
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:51 pm

The next one starts two years and three months after the completion of this one.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:52 pm

Taylor doesn't bat at three for Notts does he?
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

hopeforthebest

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:00 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:The next one starts two years and three months after the completion of this one.

So when do the Aussies play here next time, are we moving to a five year cycle?

hopeforthebest

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:02 pm

That's four years after the last away series.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby rich1uk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:06 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:
Arthur Crabtree wrote:The next one starts two years and three months after the completion of this one.

So when do the Aussies play here next time, are we moving to a five year cycle?

2019 I think
Last edited by rich1uk on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know words, i have the best words" - Donald J Trump

2012 SA vs SL ODIs prediction guru 2012 Movie Cup
2012 CB series guru
2012 Music Cup
2012 WI vs Oz Tests prediction guru
rich1uk

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:06 pm

hopeforthebest wrote:Taylor doesn't bat at three for Notts does he?

He's batted four this season.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby hopeforthebest » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Leaning of Yorks is batting impressively this year and will certainly be considered for the Lions I would imagine.

hopeforthebest

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:57 pm

I am also fed up with us playing the Aussies all the time.

Nice to win though.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby alfie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:39 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:The most successful domestic top order batsman over the last couple of seasons has been Scott Borthwick. Don't hear many suggesting him to come into the side.

Good point . I'm not sure whether I have said it on here ; but I have thought for a while that a good record at number three on often lively wickets , in Div One , merits serious consideration. I would quite like to see him go to UAE - where his wrist spin might be a useful extra.
I do wish he'd bowl more ; but I guess at Durham he isn't going to get too many opportunities...

(I'm not trying to poach him , Durham fans , honest :) But it might be to his advantage to move for the sake of his career ?)
alfie

Postby alfie » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:52 pm

I see from today's news that it appears Bell's indecision was down to consideration of his ODI ambitions.

Probably unlikely to have been recalled anyway ...but to formally rule it out in hopes of prolonging his Test career makes sense.

As has been said , he needs a good winter touring. (And his last trip to UAE was pretty awful ! Though he wasn't exactly alone in that ) But if he can get back in runs , he may indeed have a year or two yet ahead of him. For all the criticism of his recent record (not unjustified) he averages 43 over a long career. Not too many recent England bats can say the same. I am not keen to discard a player of his talent unless it is clear his best is behind him ; not sure of that yet.

Someone compared him with Cowdrey on this thread I think ? There are indeed similarities ; neither have quite achieved the records their talents seemed to indicate. Twas said Cowdrey never quite knew how good he was , and failed to impose himself as much as he might have done ; Bell may have similar issues.

I certainly don't believe Bell should have a "safe seat". But I do hope he gets his game going this winter and justifies his spot . I think he'll be needed in SA.
alfie

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:30 pm

Bell's problem seems to be he tries to impose himself more than he should. Too often has he thrown away starts with an injudicious looking to attack of late.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby KipperJohn » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:27 pm

alfie wrote:I see from today's news that it appears Bell's indecision was down to consideration of his ODI ambitions.

Probably unlikely to have been recalled anyway ...but to formally rule it out in hopes of prolonging his Test career makes sense.

As has been said , he needs a good winter touring. (And his last trip to UAE was pretty awful ! Though he wasn't exactly alone in that ) But if he can get back in runs , he may indeed have a year or two yet ahead of him. For all the criticism of his recent record (not unjustified) he averages 43 over a long career. Not too many recent England bats can say the same. I am not keen to discard a player of his talent unless it is clear his best is behind him ; not sure of that yet.

Someone compared him with Cowdrey on this thread I think ? There are indeed similarities ; neither have quite achieved the records their talents seemed to indicate. Twas said Cowdrey never quite knew how good he was , and failed to impose himself as much as he might have done ; Bell may have similar issues.

I certainly don't believe Bell should have a "safe seat". But I do hope he gets his game going this winter and justifies his spot . I think he'll be needed in SA.

I think the comparison with Cowdrey's was mine Alfie - mainly because Cowdrey was something of a boyhood hero of mine, yet whenever my dad took me to watch Kent and Cowdrey he'd inevitably get out cheaply. Whilst quite different in stature there is a degree of likeness in their languid stroke play and sometimes frustrating dismissals - both have been labelled as under achievers in comparison to their supposed talent, even though they are in the top 10 England rankings.

Both have that same easy hand eye coordination whether batting or fielding. Bell probably more mobile of the two, although Cowdrey was very athletic for a big man. Cowdrey was better at finding the gaps and knowing where the fielders 'weren't, ' although he rarely cleared the ropes - something Bell has learned to do as the game has progressed.

Cowdrey was a magnificent slipper with hands like buckets. Bell has been a top class fielder in the ring and short leg for most of his international career and, considering his earlier profound dislike for fielding in the slips, has made a pretty decent fist of it in the last two years.

I share others concerns since Bell ceased to be England's middle order 'banker' but Bell has made it clear he knows his place isn't sacrosanct and that there'll be tough times ahead - yes he had a shocking time in the UAE but he's got a pretty good record against the likes of Steyn and Morkel.

Life will go on whether he succeeds or not.
KipperJohn

Postby sussexpob » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:11 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Bell's problem seems to be he tries to impose himself more than he should. Too often has he thrown away starts with an injudicious looking to attack of late.

I think this is down to a misguided belief in what it means to "dominate" an attack. Technically, not always the best players have brilliant techniques but a ruthless streak. Bell doesnt have that in my belief. Not many modern players do coming through either. They are coached in limited overs formats to think that the Tora!Tora!Tora! approach is the way to go, to beat bowlers.

On the points about Cowdrey and not making the best of your ability, I dont really agree with that. Mentality is a skill, and if you dont have that level of self belief or that ability to really grind out results consistently, that that in itself is lacking the required ability to be at the very top level.

I guess there are two very different batsman that come to mind that illustrate the point. The first is Sehwag, a player who averaged as well as many openers in the history of the game. Technically not great, but he backed himself 100% to take players on and was unrelenting. If he got in, he broke bowling attacks on pressure. The other is Steve Waugh, a man of very little pretty technical ability, but the type of guy who you knew everytime he came out, his mission was to bat for 2 days, and you had to really try to get him out.

I have absolutely no doubt that Bells career would have been better had he never played ODI cricket. HE wasnt a one day player, not for me, but in trying to shape into a ODI player he has lost that ability to occupy the crease, and learnt bad habits. His default to being under pressure is to play and force the issue more than he used to. Then again, that is what he was told in his ODI career to do and where to improve, and he did improve as an ODI player as time went on.

Bell has a good range of strokes and the technique to back it up, but I think he has lost his way on how to implement that in the test game.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches