England v Pakistan A Warm Ups.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: England v Pakistan A Warm Ups.

Postby shankycricket » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:57 pm

Bayliss seemed to be suggesting that Buttler is in line for the chop. Not a bad move, as long as Taylor is in, anything is fine! But I am perplexed at how little question marks there are over Stokes' place (and I'm one of his biggest fans) but he has hardly scored a run since the Lord's Test, failed in both the warm ups (and unlike Moeen/Buttler, he didn't come out for a "second innings" either) and as the 4th seamer, is clearly more than surplus in these conditions. Personally I'd play Buttler over Stokes as it at least gives you stability in the keeping department and I'd say Buttler is more likely to grind out runs whilst in poor form than Stokes, who'll try to slog his way out of trouble (which won't work). If they do drop Buttler, I'd still play Patel over Stokes. Better player of spin than Stokes and a 3rd spinner (even though a part timer) would bring better balance than a 4th seamer.

Cook
Moeen
Bell
Root
Taylor
Bairstow
Buttler (wk)/Patel (Bairstow keeps)
Rashid
Broad
Finn/Wood (I'd pick Finn purely based on his record in Asia. He was excellent in the ODIs in the UAE last time around, bowled superbly in the warm up and played a critical role in England's last series win in Asia in India with his reverse swing at Kolkata but they do seem to have settled on Wood)
Anderson
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby alfie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:30 pm

If Taylor plays I'd have him at three and Bell at five. Can't see it though unless they do give the gloves to Bairstow (as I would be inclined to do , on present form)...I would keep Stokes in , however : partly for his excellence in the field ; but also with the hopes that he just might click and play an innings - he is a game changer. Frankly I'd as soon have his extra overs of seam to relieve the others as mess around with overs of spin from Patel - wouldn't expect either to be particularly dangerous.

Vaughan says they could have done with a bit more warm up. Can't disagree with that !

Pity about Finn. But Yasir might be a bigger loss for Pakistan...
alfie

Postby hopeforthebest » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:59 pm

A lot of hope is required to expect Stokes to produce a match changing innings, as in 28 innings he's totalled 884 runs 400 hundred of which he made in 4 of them. He is a talented batsman but too many times he throws his wicket away in his desire to dominate a bowler.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby alfie » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:43 am

hopeforthebest wrote:A lot of hope is required to expect Stokes to produce a match changing innings, as in 28 innings he's totalled 884 runs 400 hundred of which he made in 4 of them. He is a talented batsman but too many times he throws his wicket away in his desire to dominate a bowler.

Well you are absolutely right , of course ; he has thrown away his wicket quite often. But I guess my hope is that like many talented young players he will learn from experience to temper his aggression with a little more selective judgement... You wouldn't deny his big scores come at such a rate they do tend to be game changers ? I'm hoping for one in this series which might just win a Test match.
If there were a reliable and tested alternative choice I might be less enthusiastic given current form. But when I see Patel listed - not unreasonably - as an option you can perhaps forgive my support for Stokes...
alfie

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches