Pakistan v England 1st test, Abu Dhabi Oct 13-17

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: Pakistan v England 1st test, Abu Dhabi Oct 13-17

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:59 pm

shankycricket wrote:So how do England go forward from here?

Credit to them for the final day, and for holding up (well, just Cook really) under scoreboard pressure, but there is quite a lot to review from the first innings bowling. Unfortunately, with a spinning wicket to come in Dubai, England don't have another spinner to turn to, and with Finn gone, there isn't really another tempting bowler in the squad. I'd try and get Taylor in, for either Wood, Bell or one of the keepers- not sure it really matters which. I don't think Moeen should be opening and being such a key bowler.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:He looked a different class today.

Compare with other notable England batters after 33 Tests. Average/hundreds

Root 55.9/8
KP 50.4/10
MPV 47.4/9
Strauss 45.2/10
Cook 42.9/7
Bell 42.5/6

IJLT 51.1/7
Arthur Crabtree

Postby mikesiva » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:43 pm

Great comeback by England. Cook and Rashid...well done!
Nobody has a stance quite like the mighty Shivnarine....

Australia-New Zealand ODI's Prediction Guru
2009 spring chess league guru
Pakistan vs Australia ODI's Prediction Guru
World 20/20 Prediction Guru
2010-2011 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2011 French Open tennis prediction guru
2011 Bang vs WI combined fantasy guru
2012 Caribbean T20 fantasy guru
2012 Euros prediction guru
2012-2013 final places Premiership footy prediction guru
2013 Champions League prediction guru
2013 chess mini-tournament guru
2014 Eng-SL combined fantasy guru
2014 chess mini-tournament guru
2017 Australian Open tennis guru
mikesiva

Team(s) Supported: First - West Indies
Joint Second - England, Sri Lanka

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:46 pm

well done adil rashid

we should really have declared overnight or just slogged in the morning

the bowlers wasted too many deliveries this morning

rashid now has a chance in the next to test matches to put himself above moeen in the pecking order

a leg spinner who can knock over the tail in the first innings and be a threat in the second innings would be a major weapon
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby shankycricket » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
shankycricket wrote:So how do England go forward from here?

Credit to them for the final day, and for holding up (well, just Cook really) under scoreboard pressure, but there is quite a lot to review from the first innings bowling. Unfortunately, with a spinning wicket to come in Dubai, England don't have another spinner to turn to, and with Finn gone, there isn't really another tempting bowler in the squad. I'd try and get Taylor in, for either Wood, Bell or one of the keepers- not sure it really matters which. I don't think Moeen should be opening and being such a key bowler.

The value of Buttler's keeping can't be underestimated. He came through pretty well keeping for 2 days in that heat. It'd be Bairstow or Wood that goes out for me. Can't see Bell being dropped, nice though it'd be. I hope he is gone at the end of this series though. Bairstow did get some runs in the warm up game and didn't embarass himself with the bat in this Test (though the scorecard won't show that) so I'd give him another go. Wood hasn't really shown any of the reverse swing that we were promised and with Stokes bowling quite economically, he can perhaps step up as the 3rd seamer. Rashid seems like he might be a different bowler if England bat first and put runs on the board (though that also runs the risk of losing a Test within the first session like they did in the first Test in Dubai in 2012 but surely they've got to think positive after this).

England could have done with a spinner who bowls quick into the pitch (in the Jadeja/Monty mould) in Asia to complement the attacking styles of Moeen and Rashid. From what I've heard, Ansari is that type of bowler - a real shame that he were to get injured. Moeen and Rashid might be decent or good bowlers individually but are a bad idea IMO as a combination in tandem. Given that, England don't have a containing spinner in the squad, I hope Cook ensures that he has a seamer bowling (and I include Stokes in that - economy wise, he is still more reliable than both the spinners) alongside these 2 most of the time, even if for just 2-3 over spells and doesn't bowl the 2 spinners much in tandem, at least in the first innings.
Cricket Quiz Season 1 Winner

"If Australia avoid playing big teams at Chennai and Delhi, we have a great chance to win the World T20. Only missing trophy from the cabinet" Shanky Dundee, on twitter.
shankycricket

Team(s) Supported: Australian Cricket and Rafael Nadal

Postby Making_Splinters » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Shame that England didn't quite get enough time to score the needed runs, I find it a little hard to understand why Root didn't open given he's in exceptional form and can go along at a good clip.

All in all a promising Test for England, dealing with being 500 behind and getting close to winning the game. Cook has finally started to come back towards his best this year, Bell looked to be finding his touch in the first innings both of which are big pluses. Very impressed with Rashid today, can half see Ali being dropped for Hales against South Africa with Rashid taking over as first choice spinner.

Only change I would consider making would be Taylor for Bairstow.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Shame that England didn't quite get enough time to score the needed runs, I find it a little hard to understand why Root didn't open given he's in exceptional form and can go along at a good clip.

All in all a promising Test for England, dealing with being 500 behind and getting close to winning the game. Cook has finally started to come back towards his best this year, Bell looked to be finding his touch in the first innings both of which are big pluses. Very impressed with Rashid today, can half see Ali being dropped for Hales against South Africa with Rashid taking over as first choice spinner.

Only change I would consider making would be Taylor for Bairstow.

taylor for bairstow would be my only change as well

didnt realise bairstow had played so many tests, no hundreds and just 5 fifties in 18 tests is just not good enough

taylor is the perfect test match number 5 as well, able to block or attack when needed

he has looked to be a good player of spin as well which will be needed when yasir shah comes back
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:10 pm

just watched the highlights

younus and misbah should be embarrassed for the shots they played

still think they should have stayed on as both the batsmen and the fielders could see the ball, it wasnt in anyway dangerous, the bloody floodlights were on

it was a shame bairstow got out, had he stayed in for a while longer we would have only needed 10-15 when the umpires were contemplating taking them off and i reckon they would have stayed on with us that close

backfootpunch

Postby The Professor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 pm

Pleased for Rashid but Pakistan's tail Enders are very poor. Three of the five he dismissed have batting averages in the single digits.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby dan08 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:25 pm

backfootpunch wrote:just watched the highlights

younus and misbah should be embarrassed for the shots they played

still think they should have stayed on as both the batsmen and the fielders could see the ball, it wasnt in anyway dangerous, the bloody floodlights were on

it was a shame bairstow got out, had he stayed in for a while longer we would have only needed 10-15 when the umpires were contemplating taking them off and i reckon they would have stayed on with us that close

They had to go off as the light reached the same reading as the other day. The umpires looked kinda disappointed but they had no choice really as they have to follow the laws.
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby backfootpunch » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:37 pm

365notout wrote:Pleased for Rashid but Pakistan's tail Enders are very poor. Three of the five he dismissed have batting averages in the single digits.

england have had serious issues in recent years get out the bowlers

if he can consistently do that it will be very important, skittling the tail (like mitch johnson did to us in the 5-0 whitewash) can often make the difference

backfootpunch

Postby Making_Splinters » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:13 am

Hopefully we'll see a pitch that provides a decent level of turn for England's spinners in the next Test. I would not be overly suprised if Rashid takes over as first choice spinner from Ali by the end of the tour especially if Ali does not succeed at the top of the order.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby alfie » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:58 am

Don't you hate it when you spend ages crafting a post and then get logged out and lose the lot...

So , in brief , trying again ; after watching the match but not being on here for the last few days :

I actually quite enjoyed the match , even the slow early days , though I understand why many didn't. It was interesting to see how England's plan to deploy six bowlers worked : quite well I think - had a couple of straightforward catches stuck Pakistan might have been dismissed for a relatively modest score , despite the complete ineffectiveness of the England spinners. The England batting response then was a huge improvement on recent efforts when faced with a formidable opposition first innings ; and much credit must go - obviously to Cook and his wonderful epic of concentration - but also to Moeen ; who went some way to justifying his opening berth and helped to quell any possible nerves in the dressing room. Bell looked dreadful early - doubtless remembering his previous tour of UAE ! - but eventually settled to make ugly but valuable runs . Root did as we all expected and Stokes defied poor lead up form to play a good aggressive innings ...altogether a very fine response to the loss of the toss and two days baking in the field.

Once it was clear England were going to get near or over the Pakistan total , I always expected the home team to come under pressure in their second innings - was not at all surprised that England ended up with a late chase to try and win the match : not sure why so many were writing the match off as a bore draw almost until halfway through day five . Pitch was bound to give a little help to the spinners before the end ; and pressure does funny things to batsmen. At least those who tuned in had an excellent last day to savour , even if the result was denied by the light.
One that : cannot blame the umpires , as they followed the laws. I dislike those laws ; as they are just too inflexible. While it might be reasonable to take players off when batsmen are facing , say , a new ball attack in fading light on day three , it is surely a different matter to drag a batting side closing in on a deserved win off the field three overs from the finish , when said batsmen are - obviously - happy to take any attendant risks. Yet the law says the first reading is set in stone... If it were so dark that the fielding side were at risk , fair enough : but yesterday , for example , the fielders were scattered around the fence , so hardly in any danger! I don't , by the way , blame Pakistan for wasting a bit of time - all teams slow the game in these circumstances ; and it wasn't over the top - but at the same time I'd prefer the umpires to also be able to take such tactics into account when ruling on light . As Steve Bucknor memorably did at Karachi fifteen years ago...

Never mind ; a cracker of a finish , even if cut short.

As for that second innings , I was delighted to see Rashid bounce back from a chastening first innings experience to prove his worth doing what wrist spinners are supposed to do - take over as the pitch wears down. We shouldn't now expect him to take five every time ; but this display shows he has the ability to be a real asset to England on "Asian" pitches - and perhaps as he develops even on more familiar surfaces ? Also good to see Moeen playing his part with the ball. And those who thought it might be sensible to "rest" Anderson for this match might have cause to reconsider...

Next match I imagine Yasir will return for Pakistan , which will certainly strengthen them. But England will have taken much confidence from this game ... we shall see if they can carry it forward.

Cook needs to call correctly next Thursday too...
alfie

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:59 am

Jordanesque catch from Anderson off Babar, and a smart one off Rahat. I'd thought he was a weal link at slip.

The press who had been criticising Radish for bowling too slowly in the first innings have decided that he must have been bowling quicker in the second!
Arthur Crabtree

Postby hopeforthebest » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:13 pm

I agree with much of what alfie said as I too enjoyed the game. After the 3 day tests in the UK it was interesting to see a chess like battle for wickets. I was one who went away expecting Pakistan to ease their way to a straight forward draw, which it should have been but for the appalling get out shots from Younus and Misbah. As for the bad light decision, it was always certain play would end early so none should have been surprised when it did. The Umpire did delay the end by 10 minutes compared to other days.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches