Third Test. SA v England. Jo'burg, Jan 14-18

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Third Test. SA v England. Jo'burg, Jan 14-18

Postby Dr Cricket » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:09 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:wise words from holding.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricke ... lding.html

It seems everyone gets labelled as the new WI when they lose a series. Australia were going to be the new WI a few years ago. I suspect there's a lot of guess work going on as to how their future will develop. They've had a bad series against England (anyone can lose in India) and have had problems with injuries. They've been the best team, and they are coming back into the pack (they haven't been great in ODIs for a while). More than that feels a bit sensationalist to me.

only idiots would have compared Australia to West Indies considering Australia still had strong domestic setup and had players coming trough.
South Africa domestic system weak, their political interferences and the young players don't actually look that special coming through.
So the comparison is justified.
also the key word here is risk.
no one know's what happening in the future but with the big 3, money else where, careers in Aus/NZ/Eng it doesn't make the south African prospect look any better.
All we been hearing this winter is how awful SA first class system is must be pretty bad if the nail guy averaging 20, Tahir, Peterson taking loads of wickets plus Duminy, vilas,scoring loads of runs.

as holding say's the situation doesn't sound healthy when a player capable of playing 5-6 years more is thinking about retiring and many more cricketers leaving the system.
even the guy making his début this week was close to joining the NZ system.

Anyway it is only a warning to SA they need to get their house in order otherwise the cricketing system could collapse.

Frankly speaking I be surprise if SA produce a top team again anyway just far to harder for them to keep all their best players, having the resources/money and also winning everywhere is a lot more harder since teams are constantly changing conditions so techniques/bowling lengths have to keep changing.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:29 pm

I suspect almost any player, from any country, is going to think of managing his workload, when he's been playing international cricket for 10+ years, and he has the normal responsibilities that mature people will have. It was to the ECB and Flower's detriment that they couldn't see that regarding KP (though they seemed to get the message too late to benefit him). ABDV is an all format player. How many have maintained that for very long? I don't really think it means SA is in trouble just because he is weighing up his options. SA is in trouble if it doesn't have any future stars. Maybe, in Rabada, they have found one.

And lots of people were wondering if Australia were the new WI. It was pretty far fetched. But SA aren't especially in a similar place either.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby alfie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:32 am

I do wonder a little at the prevailing mood of some posters that the general effect of an emphatic England win in SA (something most would have declared just six months ago to be an impossible dream) is to lead to three or four pages of ruminating on the Death of Test Cricket :)

Is it the weather ?

Seriously though : there are justifiable concerns about the world game. Clearly outside England and Australia large attendances at the grounds are rare ; probably for economic reasons as much as lack of interest. TV networks still pay big money to cover the games , and presumably this indicates a decent level of interest. If some on here have become somewhat less invested in the national team - which is a personal matter and hardly a secret to anyone regularly reading - then that does not automatically translate to a general trend. In most countries , I suspect team performance has a good deal to do with overt fan enthusiasm - hence why the West Indies home matches are less well supported. In Australia I have little doubt attendances for a major series are going to remain high ; though the Day/Night initiative may be necessary to assist less fashionable opponents outside Melbourne and Sydney.

The rise and rise of limited over cricket - and the stuffing of ever more into the crowded schedule - does rather crowd out the fixtures , often taking the most convenient dates ...and most people have a limited time/money budget for attending sporting events ; so it is hardly surprising the longer events are going to suffer. I'm not sure this need be fatal though if TV revenue continues : perhaps a partial solution may lie in reducing the often inflated cost of a ticket to Test grounds ? Better ten thousand paying ten pounds than three thousand paying thirty , etc etc...

Another thing ; all this IPL BBL stuff is relatively new. It will play out over the next few years , and certainly will continue to change the cricket world map...but I'm not sure we can predict exactly what that will mean. Well I certainly can't ...but if overall interest in cricket is actually increasing , never mind this is due to the limited overs circuses . I suspect there will still be a place for the traditional game. Though it will require some wise leadership from the controllers of the game. And I can understand why many may be a bit lacking in confidence in that hope.

As an aside I wouldn't write SA off as rubbish yet just because they have lost to England. Even missing Steyn and Philander they have bowled quite well. They need to replace a couple of great retired bats and you don't do that overnight - ask England and Australia ! They have slipped from the top .Lets see how they adjust .
alfie

Previous

Return to Live Cricket Matches