Australia tour of New Zealand - Feb 2016

Pak & Zim in Eng

Australia tour of New Zealand - Feb 2016

Postby from_the_stands » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:29 am

The Oz Test squad for NZ has been announced; Steven Smith (capt), David Warner, Joe Burns, Usman Khawaja, Adam Voges, Shaun Marsh, Mitchell Marsh, Peter Nevill, James Pattinson, Peter Siddle, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon, Chadd Sayers, Jackson Bird.

The last two names are interesting. Bird has had a pretty good fc season with Tassie. Sayers has a good record with South Australia. I'm not sure what Scott Boland has done wrong, unless he's injured. Two 2 Test series will follow 3 ODI's in the land of the long white cloud. A series win for Australia will see them return to the top of the Test rankings.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-australia-2015-16/content/story/963629.html
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Re: Australia tour of New Zealand - Feb 2016

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:58 am

The Aussie batting that seemed so fragile in UK now has a secure look with a little depth as well. Just wonder a bit if that is an illusion glimpsed in the aftermatch of a series against WI. We might find out in this. Looks a strong squad, though with a couple of surprise pace options. And, for me, Pattinson has plenty to do to justify his reputation. Starc will be missed in NZ. No reserve spinner or keeper in the squad looks odd, yet six pace bowlers. I presume back ups have been arranged.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:21 pm

guessing with NZ being nearby and no visa issues replacement should be easy to get, although odd no back up keeper what happen if a freak injury happens.

Australia should be ok in this series, their got lucky NZ use Kookabura ball and the pitches in NZ are not that bad compared to England.
Recent times NZ pitches have had more grass but that only because the pitches are so flat and NZ are trying to get 20 wickets to win games even with so much grass teams barely get 20 wickets to win games.

if Australia bat well they got a chances to win this series, wouldn't surprise me if the series ends with 0-0 scoreline.

If the ball was a duke or even an SG ball would favor NZ to win this but Kookaburra makes it more even, NZ would have to bowl really well to win a game.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Making_Splinters » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:43 pm

Australia have two proven batsmen in Warner and Smith. Ussie has hit the sort of form that most players can only dream of, but is this a real indication of him turning a corner and becoming the World class batsmen then many have said he would be? Right now Australia have huge potential but they need to actually move on and turn that into a top class side.

I wouldn't be overly suprised if the Kiwis win the series.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:21 am

I heard the other day that only 3 of the above squad have ever played in New Zealand! That being the CWC prelim round last year - in which Aus got rolled for 151 and Mitch Starc nearly saved Aus' bacon.

It's a scary stat, that if correct, says a few things. How poor the cricketing relations between the two countries are - what happened to the plan to play the Chappell/Hadlee trophy every year? Did it go out the window when the Kiwis started to look like they might win it?

I also read that there is NO warm-up match. What!?!? NSW and WA are to play a Sheffield Shield match (can't remember where) in NZ which is a de facto w-u game....
Conditions in NZ are more foreign to the Aus players than England. Scary. For Aus' sake, I hope it is hot, hot and dry.

I see that there are no ODI's for the South. You'd think out of 3, 1 of them would be in ChCh, or Dunedin. 1 test is though.

FTS says that if Aus win the series, they gain top test ranking. I heard that the other day, but I also heard someone else say that they have to win both tests. I can't see that happening.

imo, a drawn series is a good result, a series win will be great.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby GarlicJam » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:24 am

from_the_stands wrote: I'm not sure what Scott Boland has done wrong, unless he's injured.

the selectors' justification for picking Boland (which they needed to make) in the Windies series was that they wanted strong pace bowling in Aus conditions. I don't know much about Sayers, but Bird will (should) be far more suited to Kiwi conditions with tighter control and better chance of swing than Boland
Maybe
GarlicJam

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Tasmania, New South Wales, Carlton Blues, Sharkies, The Toon.

Postby from_the_stands » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:41 am

It really bothers me that we're stagging a Sheffield Shield match in New Zealand as a warm up game. It's getting to the point where touring Test teams will have to travel with two squads; the main selected squad, and a squad they can play against in warm-up matches.
"Hey, doll. Could you scare up another round for our table over here? And tell the cook this is low grade dog food. I've had better food at the ballgame, you know? This steak still has marks from where the jockey was hitting it." Al Czervik, aka Rodney Dangerfield in "Caddyshack" (1980)

2009 India vs SL ODI prediction guru
2010 Australia vs Pakistan Test Prediction guru
2012 Big Bash fantasy guru
2013 Big Bash fantasy guru
2017 IPL fantasy guru
from_the_stands

Team(s) Supported: Aussie cricket team, Liverpool FC (it's a long story) and the mighty blue boys in the AFL. I like watching good teams performing well. An advid fan of the Olympic Games. Looking forward to Rio in 2016 & Tokyo in 2020!

Postby bigfluffylemon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:06 am

The ODI squad has been announced:

Steve Smith (capt), David Warner, George Bailey, Scott Boland, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Kane Richardson, Matthew Wade (wk), Adam Zampa

Pace bowling continues to look on the thin side without Starc or Pattinson, although Hastings has come out of the India series with some credit. I've yet to be convinced about Boland though.

Also no Khawaja, who has had quite the summer in tests and domestic/BBL cricket.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:58 am

Aussie team for the first game.

Shaun Marsh, David Warner, Steve Smith (capt), George Bailey, Glenn Maxwell, Mitch Marsh, Matthew Wade, James Faulkner, John Hastings, Kane Richardson, Josh Hazlewood.

This is the team cricinfo predicts for NZ.

1 Martin Guptill, 2 Brendon McCullum (capt.), 3 Kane Williamson, 4 Henry Nicholls, 5 Grant Elliott, 6 Corey Anderson, 7 Luke Ronchi (wk), 8 Mitchell Santner/Ish Sodhi, 9 Adam Milne, 10 Matt Henry, 11 Trent Boult.

They seem well matched.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby GarlicJam » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 pm

Home ground advantage has got to be a major factor here.
Maybe
GarlicJam

Postby Alviro Patterson » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:18 am

Martin Guptill clearing another stadium roof, the guy is a lunatic! Whoever signs him for the Natwest T20 Blast will be one lucky club.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:23 am

Can't sleep. Hopefully might see some humpty from Brendon.

And interested to hear how the Aussie commentators fit in with the men-in-a-shed-drinking-from-a-flask vibe of the NZ box.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:36 am

Incredible ramp from BMcC. And Guptill looks like a giant hitting the ball with a railway sleeper.

Not the normal Aussie commentators so far. Border can probably fit in better than the used car salesman types like Nicholas an Slats. Now someone called Nathan (Bracken?) who isn't a C9 man I don't think.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:46 am

Drat. McCullum out.
Arthur Crabtree

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:05 am

Aussies looking a bit limited without a spinner. But the Guptill run out will save 40-50 runs.

NZ commentators have been needling their guests a little. Felt a bit sorry for AB and Nathan.
Arthur Crabtree

Next

Return to Live Cricket Matches