World T20 semis & final, March 30-April 3

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: World T20 semis & final, March 30-April 3

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Let's face it going into that final over, England were massive favorites to win the game and it could be said that the Windies had mismanaged their run chase.

Four balls later and it's suddenly a result of such tactical brilliance and cricketing magnificence.

The four balls were the result of some unexpected quality from the batsman, coupled with some poor bowling, but everything beforehand was pretty average.
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Havant & Waterlooville FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:09 pm

sussexpob wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:What a crawling arse lickingly embarrassing article in my opinion.

:thumb

Do you expect quality journalism from Nicholas? He once called SImon Jones the "best striker of a cricket ball you could ever hope to see"..... the same Simon Jones who never scored a FC 50...

You're right, he's a complete tw@t, and that's coming from a Hants supporter.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby Gingerfinch » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:13 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:What a crawling arse lickingly embarrassing article in my opinion.

If arse licking was an Olympic sport, Nicholas would be our sporting GOAT!
2014 SA-Oz Tests fantasy guru
Gingerfinch

Team(s) Supported: Wycombe Wanderers.

Postby westoelad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:18 pm

[quote="mikesiva"]I don't feel sorry for Stokes. He has an arrogant, abusive attitude, and always sledges certain West Indian players in the field. Not just Samuels, but Bravo too. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. I must admit, seeing Stokes getting hammered for four sixes by Carlos brought a smile to my face. You could see that Brathwaite couldn't stand Stokes' guts, and with good reason. To me, the best player got a pounding in that final over...there was no pity for him from my corner. Samuels was just giving Stokes back some of what he was dishing out. It just helped that he bowled arguably the worst final over ever bowled in a T2o final!

I'm sure Stokes wouldn't want you to feel sorry for him.He’ll dish it out and take it. What I've never seen him do is make public criticism of his opponents. That's unacceptable IMO but we all have different standards on what is acceptable.
westoelad

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:31 pm

While I criticized Stokes yesterday for a terrible over I hope he comes out of the situation all the better for experiencing such a terrible low, and he turns into an England great in coming years.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby westoelad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:38 pm

budgetmeansbudget wrote:While I criticized Stokes yesterday for a terrible over I hope he comes out of the situation all the better for experiencing such a terrible low, and he turns into an England great in coming years.

He bowled one of the finest death overseas in the semi which shows how fine the margins of error are.
westoelad

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:51 pm

westoelad wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:While I criticized Stokes yesterday for a terrible over I hope he comes out of the situation all the better for experiencing such a terrible low, and he turns into an England great in coming years.

He bowled one of the finest death overseas in the semi which shows how fine the margins of error are.

You're right he did, which is why he got the final over again.

Just a bloody shame he didn't execute it as he knows he should have done.
budgetmeansbudget

AFC Bournemouth
Livingston FC
Poole Town FC
Chicago Bears
Poole Pirates

Postby backfootpunch » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:20 pm

tbh after seeing darren sammy post game interview im kind of glad that the west indies won

he truely seems like a leader of men and the sort of captain you would love to play for

also ben stokes should take the blame for the loss not for his final over but for having words with marlon samuels before he had even faced a ball, he should know by now that marlon samuels is a batsmen you leave alone, when you fire him up he becomes twice the player
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby meninblue » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:58 pm

mikesiva wrote:I don't feel sorry for Stokes. He has an arrogant, abusive attitude, and always sledges certain West Indian players in the field. Not just Samuels, but Bravo too. If you can't take it, don't dish it out. I must admit, seeing Stokes getting hammered for four sixes by Carlos brought a smile to my face. You could see that Brathwaite couldn't stand Stokes' guts, and with good reason. To me, the best player got a pounding in that final over...there was no pity for him from my corner. Samuels was just giving Stokes back some of what he was dishing out. It just helped that he bowled arguably the worst final over ever bowled in a T2o final!
:point
Mark Nicholas apologizes....

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/co ... 95027.html

He's just gone up in my estimation. Unlike certain players, who seem to still hold a grudge, i.e. Samuels, Stokes, Root, Morgan, etc. All four of them need to get over it, and move on.

Unnecessary comment by Mark Nicholas "Short of Brain'. If WI had no knowledge of this format they wont have won thsi twice. Their players are so much in demand all over he T20 tournaments. If WI players are short of brain in this format then what about players of other countries. :roll:
Test FL's - 8 , ODI and Tests Combo FL's - 1, ODI World Cup - 1, ODI FL's - 7, ODI and T20i combo FL's - 1 ,
T20 Franchisee FL's - 7, T20i Cup FL's- 1, T20 FL's- 5 , 50 Overs Domestic FL's - 1, 40 Overs Domestic FL's- 1
meninblue

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:07 pm

Both the initial article by Nicholas and the retraction are extra-ordinarily bad articles, both in term of reasoning and style. I really don't know why Cricinfo provides him with a platform. However I do find myself unexpectedly warming to the oleaginous tv anchor for his genuine distress relating to how his first piece was received.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:29 pm

A bit odd though that he didn't anticipate how his words mght be taken.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby Alviro Patterson » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:22 pm

GarlicJam wrote:
sussexpob wrote:
budgetmeansbudget wrote:Having only seen brief snippets of the game, I understand Samuels was given out, and was then recalled as he was reaching the boundary ropes.

Not another bloody no ball?

Debate about a clean catch. I had left the TV for 5 minutes and missed this part, but the replay I seen (from one angle) was inconclusive. Others seem to suggest it did bounce.

Is this why Durham was saying this win should come with an asterisk?

Buttler's facial expression gave it away, if he made a full hearted appeal (catch, hold and lob in the air Mark Boucher style) then I reckon the decision would not have got reversed. In real time it looked out, but some replays suggest it did bounce (but only just).
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Durhamfootman » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:09 pm

westoelad wrote:

he bowled an excellent final over against SL too in the match that confirmed England's semi final place.

in both those matches he bowled excellent yorkers, in the final he missed them.... it happens
2024 Big Bash League FL
2023 County Championship D1 FL
2023 WI-SA combined FL
2023 Big Bash League FL
2022 County Championship D1 FL
2022 T20 Blast FL
2022 Ashes FL
2021 All Year Fantasy Competition
2021 ICC T20 World Cup FL
2021 Big Bash League FL
2020 SA-England combined FL
2020 Caribbean Premier League FL
2019 NZ-England test FL
2019 WI-India combined FL
2019 The Open Golf FL
2019 French Open Tennis FL
2019 Sheffield Shield FL
2019 Players Championship Golf FL
2019 Women's National Cricket League FL
2019 Women's Big Bash League FL
2018 All Year Fantasy Competition
2017 The Open Golf FL
2016 Australia-South Africa test FL
2016 County Championship D1 FL
2016 Indian Premier League FL
2015 County Fantasy Manager
2015 Big Bash League FL
2014 WI-England test and ODI FL
2014 County Championship D2 FL
2013 County Championship D2 FL
2012 Twenty20 Cup FL
Durhamfootman

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC

Postby sussexpob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:25 pm

westoelad wrote:He bowled one of the finest death overseas in the semi which shows how fine the margins of error are.

Nothing to do with the fact it was to a guy with a best score if 16 in 90 T20 games..... or another, with a best score of 19 in his career.

I do remember the really crap before before that where he bowled three full tosses in a row and by some miracle got two wickets......
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby sussexpob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Either way, his T20 record is incredibly poor, and he just threw away a World Cup win by bowling the worst over in the history of the sport.

But hell, he is going to be legend....nohing says legend like an average of 14 with the bat, and giving away nearly 10 runs an over with the ball.

LEGEND
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches