Second Test. England v Sri Lanka at Riverside. 27/5/16.

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: Second Test. England v Sri Lanka at Riverside. 27/5/16.

Postby sussexpob » Tue May 31, 2016 3:51 pm

greyblazer wrote:I remember those BBC 606 days after the Ashes 2006-07 when I used to defend Anderson day in and day out and kept telling that he would one day become world-class. However, even I never thought he would take 450 odd Test wickets and now scaling to the summit of Test rankings. Well done sir!

Yes indeed. Many people could never forgive him for that tour, but anyone who watched more than the scorecards in the morning would have appreciate (and I remember discussing this at the time a lot with you, GB) that Anderson was being forced to bowl well under full fitness.

So he got taken apart in 06-07, but he could barely run up! He should have never been there.
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby greyblazer » Tue May 31, 2016 4:18 pm

Yeah, at best, he should have played the MCG Test. It is something that I said then too.
England-WI prediction guru
SL vs Pak prediction guru
US Open 2009 prediction guru
Champions Trophy prediction guru
2010 IPL prediction guru
footy World Cup prediction guru
2013 India vs England ODIs prediction guru
greyblazer

Postby Alviro Patterson » Tue May 31, 2016 5:59 pm

captaincolly wrote:
yuppie wrote:
captaincolly wrote:
Aidan11 wrote:This game could easily have been over by tea yesterday. Looks like there will be plenty more play today.

Wonder if they'll reduce price to a tenner now? Can't do any harm and - as expected - the ground is empty.

Such short term thinking.
They could now have families and kids in the ground, growing the interest in the game. Instead they are trying to make as much as possible from tickets and not looking at the big picture.

If they had made it a £10 or less, more people would have come in, and now they would be buying some lunch and drinks. Morons running cricket in the UK.

I agree.

I don't think lowering ticket prices would have made a great deal of difference attendance wise, mainly because it was pretty chilly yesterday. Anyone who has watched early season cricket at The Riverside will know it is not a pleasant experience unless if it is sunny. Offering free tickets for a future T20 game is a nice goodwill gesture and a clever way of boosting domestic attendances long term.
"Stats are there to be broken" Dominic Cork
"They took all our players away, banned our captain and we still came away with a ten-wicket victory" Jason Gillespie
"You won't get anywhere slouching about half out of bed" Geoffrey Boycott

2011-12 Oz vs India Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Oz vs SA Tests FL guru | 2012-13 Bang vs WI combined FL guru | 2013 Friends Life T20 FL guru | 2015 The Ashes FL guru | 2015 County Championship D2 FL guru | 2016 Womens WT20 FL guru| 2016 Eng v Pak Tests FL guru | 2017 Kia Super League FL guru | 2018 County Championship D2 FL guru
Alviro Patterson

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire CCC, Bradford City FC

Postby Aidan11 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:35 pm

Anderson has replaced Broad at the top of the ICC Test bowling rankings.

Broad slips to No.3.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby m@tt » Tue May 31, 2016 10:35 pm

Gingerfinch wrote:Luckily for Cook our opening bat cupboard is nearly empty.

It's not empty. But there isn't an opener who is obviously a class above county cricket.

Robson, Browne, Westley, Bell-Drummond and Duckett are all making good runs at the moment.
Andy Flower wrote:This is going to test my coaching expertise. This is the worst case I've ever seen.
m@tt

Team(s) Supported: .
England and Warwickshire.

Also tend to follow any former/current/prospective England players.

606 Username: matt_h88

Postby dan08 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:17 am

The selectors are monitoring Westley, Stoneman, Borthwick, Robson and Bell-Drummond to fill the number 3 position. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bayli ... 31039ae4e4
2011 Sri Lanka v Australia ODI FL guru
2011 India v West Indies ODI FL guru
2012 Bangladesh Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 West Indies v New Zealand Test FL guru
2012 Sri Lanka Premier League T20 FL guru
2012 India v England Test FL guru
2014 Australian Open Tennis FL guru
2014 Australia v England T20 FL guru
2017 ICC Champions Trophy FL guru
dan08

Team(s) Supported: England, Kent, Malaysia, Manchester United

Postby sussexpob » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:36 am

dan08 wrote:The selectors are monitoring Westley, Stoneman, Borthwick, Robson and Bell-Drummond to fill the number 3 position. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bayli ... 31039ae4e4

So, lets get this straight.....

2 players who have barely scored a run between them at the top level of domestic cricket.

1 player who previously failed and was certified as lacking technique. He was then ignored for a player with a similar test record in a similar amount of games, despite going to county cricket and averaging 80 runs more than said player who was picked, after being told county form really mattered.... must really rate him, and must have done wonders for his self belief.

1 player who averages 32 in county cricket and is soon to be 29... with 1 x 50 in his last four games, neither the form or career to justify this elevation.

Borthwick is the only pick here that seems semi serious. If they wanted Robson, why didnt they pick him after he scored 500 runs in the first few matches?
2010 French Open fantasy league guru 2010 Wimbledon fantasy league guru 2014 Masters golf fantasy guru 2015 Players Championship FL Guru 2016 Masters Golf Fantasy Guru

And a hat and bra to you too, my good sirs!
sussexpob

Team(s) Supported: Sussex and England Cricket, Vålerenga Fotball/FC Barcelona/Seagulls! ....
England and Norway at everything else

Postby Making_Splinters » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:37 pm

I'm fairly sure that Bayliss was just listing the players who had been scoring runs in the LVCC this season, he didn't even know Bell-Drummond's name at the first attempt.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:25 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
The funny thing is probably more natural for the pitches to be this way if anything the flat decks with grass is doctored.
Also isn't it funny to blame india for doctoring pitches when England being doing for centuries.
If anything all teams have done it.
Anyway if anyone is shouting about doctoring they probably don't care about the future of test cricket.
Fact 3-4 day test cricket rates far better in india than team scoring 500+500 draws.

Think I touched a nerve there. You are the one who was claiming India would doctor the pitches so no-one would average over 30, not me, mate.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:39 pm

just saying batting would be difficult and runs scoring would be a challenge.
hard to see players averaging 30+ when kohli and india want team to be dismiss for less than 300 in the first innings and the only way that is possible is if the pitch is quick and take turn.

Just mentioned technically it isn't getting doctored considering the pitches are naturally like that, doctoring would be making the pitches flat since you actually have to do something to the pitches to make it flat, if you leave it naturally pitches actually get worse to bat if that make sense.

it Really just my science instinct.
in reality all pitches are doctored to make batsman score runs, since if they left it to natural processes batting would be impossible in all grounds since bounces, spin and everything would be uneven.

basically the days of getting 500+ in the first innings in india are over, Kohli and the indian public have no will or patience to watch those game and I can't blame them considering the test matches in 2013 were a good watch when scores of 350+ were a challenge.
they took it far against SA but they really wanted to thrash SA to get number 1 ranking which is why I reckon they will do the same thing especially when Kohli/Star etc wanting india to thrash england and to take wickets throughout the game.

Facts are india taking wickets bring viewers in test matches, think fiqures show 40-50% more will watch it and in money terms a 3 day test brings more money than a 5 day dull draw to star although in reality star would like 300+300+300+300 game but not really sure how they can do it in Indian conditions, get quite tricky since spin conditions in essence get worse and not better as the game goes on and Kohli want pace in the wickets.
the only way will be if the wicket are slow like hell but then teams will score bucket loads of runs.
if the wickets is too quick spinners will cause havoc.
really think sub C ground should get more leeway on the pitches since the fact is no one wants to see the 500+ runs games.
really liked the 2012-13 pitches but to actually get the balance right is a tough ask since unlike pitches in Australia/England/SA, the groundsman has limited leeway to get the pace of the wicket right.
Can't be too slow since the spinners will be ineffective and can't be too quick since run scoring is impossible.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:42 pm

really hard seeing england getting any deck where they will be likely to get 400-500 runs in an innings.
Chances are getting 3-4 50s will be an achievement for the batsman.

Anyway surely the batsman want to get tested rather scoring runs in easy conditions.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:17 pm

sussexpob wrote:
dan08 wrote:The selectors are monitoring Westley, Stoneman, Borthwick, Robson and Bell-Drummond to fill the number 3 position. http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bayli ... 31039ae4e4

So, lets get this straight.....

2 players who have barely scored a run between them at the top level of domestic cricket.

1 player who previously failed and was certified as lacking technique. He was then ignored for a player with a similar test record in a similar amount of games, despite going to county cricket and averaging 80 runs more than said player who was picked, after being told county form really mattered.... must really rate him, and must have done wonders for his self belief.

1 player who averages 32 in county cricket and is soon to be 29... with 1 x 50 in his last four games, neither the form or career to justify this elevation.

Borthwick is the only pick here that seems semi serious. If they wanted Robson, why didnt they pick him after he scored 500 runs in the first few matches?

Compare their stats to Bell's- both first class and international - and who is only 34 - then you know England have a bit of a problem.
KipperJohn

Postby Arthur Crabtree » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:54 pm

Bell was averaging under thirty in Tests in the 45 innings before he was dropped, with only two tons. He wouldn't have been left out if he was in the kind of form that gave him a 40+ average overall. Forty-five innings is a lot of rope. From his last hundred in the West Indies, he averaged under 21 in 20 innings until he was left out. I concede that these stats begin after better form, but they do tell of a prolonged drought.
I always say that everybody's right.
Arthur Crabtree

Team(s) Supported: Yorkshire.

Postby KipperJohn » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:28 pm

Arthur Crabtree wrote:Bell was averaging under thirty in Tests in the 45 innings before he was dropped, with only two tons. He wouldn't have been left out if he was in the kind of form that gave him a 40+ average overall. Forty-five innings is a lot of rope. From his last hundred in the West Indies, he averaged under 21 in 20 innings until he was left out. I concede that these stats begin after better form, but they do tell of a prolonged drought.

Not arguing with that Arthur, but despite that decline, as you say, his test average is still well over 40 - which rather puts into perspective the records of those vying to replace him.

Even if he doesn't play for England again in Tests it will take some time for anyone to reach him in terms of runs scored, centuries and half-centuries.
KipperJohn

Postby andy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:15 am

For me Borthwick, deserves a go at number 3 against Pakistan... Scored a bucket load of runs for Durham in the past few seasons, at Durham!! Where it is defintiely not easy to score runs...give him a go and see what happens..Plus his leg-breaks, are more than useful..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches