West Indies vs India.

Pak & Zim in Eng

Re: West Indies vs India.

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:12 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Think the WI attack that bad.
Got to say finally India actually treat or say Ashwin is an all rounder, use to annoy the crap out of me how only pace bowlers can be all rounder in the world actually quite a joke india selectors, players saying their haven't got one all rounder in the set up or ranji trophy.
Really don't see how only pace bowlers can be all rounder considering having ashwin in the top 7 and being able to bowl is the same as having an paceman in the top 7 considering what ever happens india could pick 4 seam bowlers outside Asia and WI.

if Stokes is good enough to bat in the top 6 for England, then Ashwin is far then good enough to be a top 6 batsman, Also in my eyes Ashwin is 20 times better all rounder than stokes.

In asia/West indies ashwin is just about good enough to bat in the top 7

Everywhere else not so much

Also stokes is still very raw he clearly has more potential to be a top all rounder than ashwin
2011 pak vs sl odi fantasy guru 2012 Pak vs SL test fantasy guru
2012 NZ vs SA test fantasy guru 2015 Australia vs NZ test fantasy guru
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru
2011/12 premier league(external) fantasy guru
2012 Eng vs WI test fanstasy guru
euro 2012 (external) fantasy league guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Team(s) Supported: england, warwickshire, birmingham city

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:19 pm

Think Ashwin more of a prospect in batting than Stokes, really liked Ashwin batting since that Australia tour.

in All round terms Stokes is way below ashwin considering Ashwin averages similar with the bat and lower with the ball and even excluding stats Ashwin is in the top 2 bowlers in india team and is india number 1 spinner.
if Ashwin bats in the top 7 which he has the ability to do so would mean he is far better than Stokes considering in terms of batting abilty think Ashwin better than Stokes anyway.

currently Stokes isn't a top line bowler and isn't really secure or consistent with the bat so yes Ashwin is a better all round prospect.

Nice to see india treating Ashwin like an all rounder now crazy how they think likes of Pathan etc are all rounders and ashwin isn't

Although do agree Ashwin might not do so well on some pitches but the same thing could be said about Stokes and at the moment Ashwin is a better cricketer considering he is a better bowler and a similar batsman.

Although I might be bias since I rated Ashwin batting for a long time and wanted him to be an all rounder since I first saw him bat in 2012, could be a similar cricketer to Kapil dev for india.

Imho for Stokes to be a better all rounder than Ashwin, he would need to take more wickets with the ball and outscore Ashwin as well.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/rankings/co ... 11270.html

by the way Stokes isn't even the top 5 all rounders in the world
Ashwin Number 1, Shakib number 2, broad number 3, philander 4 and Jadeja 5 and Stokes 5.

although the reason for broad, philander being high is because they take lots of wickets and only really need to average 20-25 with the bat to get good points in the rankings tables.
Stokes struggles with the ball so needs his batting to be higher to get more points in the table.
Ashwin in the rankings is actually close to be rated a very good all rounder and close to the ranking highs of all time great all rounders.

So yes even the rankings suggest Ashwin is 20 times better than Stokes but with all rounders it does get tricky to class players and all about your opinion and how you define all rounders etc so no right or wrong answer.

considering they are probably 3-4 types of all rounders, batting all rounder, bowling all rounder, bit and pieces all rounder and proper batsman but can bowl a few or a proper bowler that can bat a bit.
quite hard to compare all rounders if they have different roles in the side.

Anyway my point is Ashwin very underrated as an all rounder.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:22 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:Think the WI attack that bad.
Got to say finally India actually treat or say Ashwin is an all rounder, use to annoy the crap out of me how only pace bowlers can be all rounder in the world actually quite a joke india selectors, players saying their haven't got one all rounder in the set up or ranji trophy.
Really don't see how only pace bowlers can be all rounder considering having ashwin in the top 7 and being able to bowl is the same as having an paceman in the top 7 considering what ever happens india could pick 4 seam bowlers outside Asia and WI.

if Stokes is good enough to bat in the top 6 for England, then Ashwin is far then good enough to be a top 6 batsman, Also in my eyes Ashwin is 20 times better all rounder than stokes.

In asia/West indies ashwin is just about good enough to bat in the top 7

Everywhere else not so much

Also stokes is still very raw he clearly has more potential to be a top all rounder than ashwin

Would say Ashwin got a lot to improve in his batting as well.
reckon Ashwin got the ability to be able to bat in the top 7 in all conditions although not quite yet but could see him being a good bat in the future.
for an bowler Ashwin hasn't really got much weakness with the bat, really reminds me of Woakes and Bresnan with the bat.
TBH Woakes and Ashwin are very similar cricketers, 2 proper batsman but they really get picked on being proper bowlers.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:25 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Think Ashwin more of a prospect in batting than Stokes, really liked Ashwin batting since that Australia tour.

in All round terms Stokes is way below ashwin considering Ashwin averages similar with the bat and lower with the ball and even excluding stats Ashwin is in the top 2 bowlers in india team and is india number 1 spinner.
if Ashwin bats in the top 7 which he has the ability to do so would mean he is far better than Stokes considering in terms of batting abilty think Ashwin better than Stokes anyway.

currently Stokes isn't a top line bowler and isn't really secure or consistent with the bat so yes Ashwin is a better all round prospect.

Nice to see india treating Ashwin like an all rounder now crazy how they think likes of Pathan etc are all rounders and ashwin isn't

Although do agree Ashwin might not do so well on some pitches but the same thing could be said about Stokes and at the moment Ashwin is a better cricketer considering he is a better bowler and a similar batsman.

Although I might be bias since I rated Ashwin batting for a long time and wanted him to be an all rounder since I first saw him bat in 2012, could be a similar cricketer to Kapil dev for india.

Imho for Stokes to be a better all rounder than Ashwin, he would need to take more wickets with the ball and outscore Ashwin as well.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/rankings/co ... 11270.html

by the way Stokes isn't even the top 5 all rounders in the world
Ashwin Number 1, Shakib number 2, broad number 3, philander 4 and Jadeja 5 and Stokes 5.

although the reason for broad, philander being high is because they take lots of wickets and only really need to average 20-25 with the bat to get good points in the rankings tables.
Stokes struggles with the ball so needs his batting to be higher to get more points in the table.
Ashwin in the rankings is actually close to be rated a very good all rounder and close to the ranking highs of all time great all rounders.

So yes even the rankings suggest Ashwin is 20 times better than Stokes but with all rounders it does get tricky to class players and all about your opinion and how you define all rounders etc so no right or wrong answer.

considering they are probably 3-4 types of all rounders, batting all rounder, bowling all rounder, bit and pieces all rounder and proper batsman but can bowl a few or a proper bowler that can bat a bit.
quite hard to compare all rounders if they have different roles in the side.

Anyway my point is Ashwin very underrated as an all rounder.

I said stokes has more potential to be a top all rounder

Not that he is a top all rounder now

He has played a few amazing innings that ashwin couldn't dream of playing but lacks consistency

At this stage ashwin is a bowler who can bat, if he has success batting in the top 6 or 7 then he can claim to be an all rounder

I don't think anyone who bats at 8 can claim they are an all rounder
2012 masters golf fantasy guru 2015 New Zealand vs Sri Lanka combined fantasy guru

"I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your arse. Playing cricket is not."- Keith Miller
backfootpunch

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:38 pm

Not sure you seen Ashwin innings but his first century against WI was quite special and played a good innings against england at kolkata and in sydney against Australia.

in terms of batting Ashwin bats like Laxman.

Really don't see the fascination of Stokes batting if he only performs once in 20 innings.
Also ridiculous statement to say anyone that bats at number 8 isn't an all rounder, so clearly Woakes isn't an all rounder then.

Imho Ashwin and Stokes got the same potential to be a top all rounder.
Ashwin likely to be the better bowler, stokes probably the better batsman.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:39 pm

lol what a drop, could be costly as well one wicket away from a massive tail.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:10 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Not sure you seen Ashwin innings but his first century against WI was quite special and played a good innings against england at kolkata and in sydney against Australia.

Really don't see the fascination of Stokes batting if he only performs once in 20 innings.
Also ridiculous statement to say anyone that bats at number 8 isn't an all rounder, so clearly Woakes isn't an all rounder then.

Iv always thought there was a little bit of laxman in ashwin

But I think for the success of India ashwin needs to focus fully on his bowling and find ways to have success on pitches that aren't turning a lot

backfootpunch

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:25 pm

I'd imagine kohlis average will take a healthy jump in this series

backfootpunch

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:32 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:Not sure you seen Ashwin innings but his first century against WI was quite special and played a good innings against england at kolkata and in sydney against Australia.

Iv always thought there was a little bit of laxman in ashwin

But I think for the success of India ashwin needs to focus fully on his bowling and find ways to have success on pitches that aren't turning a lot

TBH his bowling outside asia doesn't worry me, not sure why he need to win games outside asia, for me the pace bowlers need to stand up abroad not Ashwin.
in abroad conditions Ashwin need to be the holding bowling not the main wicket taker.
If Ashwin is still the main wicket taker abroad then india would struggle anyway since Ashwin will never average less than 40 outside asia even if he bowls at his best.
Thought it was ridiculous that Ashwin got most of the blame or in general the spinners in the away period in 2013-14.
Really the pace men should be questioned more.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Aidan11 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:00 pm

200 for Kohli. :clap

Didn't realise this is his first one. Thought he might have done it previously.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Now only one country remains of where kohli struggled in test cricket.
for someone that averages 45 he is actually quite consistent, generally scores in most conditions although does have a few major weakness which stops him scoring daddy hundreds or look comfortable against certain bowlers or conditions.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby backfootpunch » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:50 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:Now only one country remains of where kohli struggled in test cricket.
for someone that averages 45 he is actually quite consistent, generally scores in most conditions although does have a few major weakness which stops him scoring daddy hundreds or look comfortable against certain bowlers or conditions.

He has lots of hundreds so to only average 45 suggests he is a bad starter and gets lots of sub 20 scores

No idea if the stats back that up or not

backfootpunch

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:57 pm

backfootpunch wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:Now only one country remains of where kohli struggled in test cricket.

He has lots of hundreds so to only average 45 suggests he is a bad starter and gets lots of sub 20 scores

yeah he does, because of his offstump weakness and being very vulnerable to any movement of the ball he struggles a lot to any bowler moving it across the 4th stump away from him.
Anderson got his number big time.
Southee, Rampaul got his number as well and Junaid khan did as well.

Although loves Australian and South african conditions where the ball doesn't move and he can score runs all day without trying loves Australia.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby yuppie » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:17 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
backfootpunch wrote:

yeah he does, because of his offstump weakness and being very vulnerable to any movement of the ball he struggles a lot to any bowler moving it across the 4th stump away from him.
Anderson got his number big time.
Southee, Rampaul got his number as well and Junaid khan did as well.

Although loves Australian and South african conditions where the ball doesn't move and he can score runs all day without trying loves Australia.

Loves Australias flat pitches, as does Smith.
2009 New Zealand Vs India Tests Prediction Guru
Prem final standings prediction guru
2010 AFL Footy Tipping Champion
yuppie

Team(s) Supported: Australia, Nottingham Forest, Carlton.

Postby Dr Cricket » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:30 pm

Smith is the lucky git having to play 6 test a year in Australia, 6-8 easy centuries a year.
Always a good laugh though reading old people views on cricket lol when their think scoring in Australia is tough or means they a proper cricketer and scoring in Asia is not.
people think Kohli and Smith are bradman because they scored so many in Australia lol and are the greatest batsman in the world lol.
not even western/australia people saying it either, many indian are saying it as well lol.

might have been special scoring runs in Australia in the 90s or 2000s.
but scoring runs in Australia doesn't say anything really since anyone could score hundreds in Australia now, just no help for the seam bowlers or Spinners, a proper batting paradise.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

PreviousNext

Return to Live Cricket Matches