England v Sri Lanka ODI/T20i Series

Eng in India, Afg vs Ire in UAE, SA & Oz in NZ, SL in Bang

Re: England v Sri Lanka ODI/T20i Series

Postby Aidan11 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Didn't realise Jos hadn't opened in T20 before.
2010 Ind v Oz fantasy league
2011-12 internal Prem footy prediction league
2012 US Open Golf Prediction league
2012 Eng vs WI ODIs fantasy league
2012 TV Cup Winner
2012 CC Final Placings Prediction league
2014 Eng v India Test FL
2014 Royal London One Day Cup FL
2014 Ryder Cup FL
2015 Ashes Test FL
2015 County Championship Division 1 FL
2016 SA v Eng Test FL
2016 Eng v SL Test FL
2016 Eng v SL ODI FL
2022 County Championship Div 2 FL
2023 County Championship Div 2 FL
Aidan11

Team(s) Supported: Durham CCC, Hartlepool United

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:then Ali needs to get dropped, the way Rashid bowling right now he needs to get picked for the test team.

Different kettle of fish when the batsmen don't need to go after you.

of course but Rashid would need to play at some point would be quite dopey to play him in the winter without much overs in the belt for england in test cricket, Especially if he loses his confidence in his bowling.
At the moment Rashid getting very good control, drift and turn and should be dangerous in test cricket if he gets the chance.

For me the key is the control rashid got at the moment, Leg Spinners are always more dangerous when they are landing the ball in the right place most of the time.

Also is not like Ali winning games with the ball, so they not exactly taking a risk in that part of the game.

Waiting couple of months for Rashid playing test would be stupid especially if in that time Rashid loses his control and confidence.

It seems an odd suggestion that he'd be more likely to lose his control and confidence playing against first division cricketers for Yorkshire than against Test cricketers for England.

Could work both ways.
Rashid could lose confidence in not getting picked and bowling suffers a bit or playing rashid when at good form and he does well for england and moves to the next level and establishes himself as a england player or he gets wacked and loses his bowling again.
whatever happens it is a risk.

All I know is leg spinner generally don't keep their control and them bowling well can be random at times so if rashid bowling well now england should play him since he might not be bowling well in few months time.
The only leg spinners in the history of the game to actually keep control or bowl well consistently have been Warne and Kumble, the rest have always been hit and miss.

At the moment Rashid making a strong case for an inclusion in the test team.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Team(s) Supported: India

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:07 pm

bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:
Making_Splinters wrote:
bhaveshgor wrote:then Ali needs to get dropped, the way Rashid bowling right now he needs to get picked for the test team.

Different kettle of fish when the batsmen don't need to go after you.

of course but Rashid would need to play at some point would be quite dopey to play him in the winter without much overs in the belt for england in test cricket, Especially if he loses his confidence in his bowling.
At the moment Rashid getting very good control, drift and turn and should be dangerous in test cricket if he gets the chance.

For me the key is the control rashid got at the moment, Leg Spinners are always more dangerous when they are landing the ball in the right place most of the time.

Also is not like Ali winning games with the ball, so they not exactly taking a risk in that part of the game.

Waiting couple of months for Rashid playing test would be stupid especially if in that time Rashid loses his control and confidence.

It seems an odd suggestion that he'd be more likely to lose his control and confidence playing against first division cricketers for Yorkshire than against Test cricketers for England.

Could work both ways.
Rashid could lose confidence in not getting picked and bowling suffers a bit or playing rashid when at good form and he does well for england and moves to the next level and establishes himself as a england player or he gets wacked and loses his bowling again.
whatever happens it is a risk.

All I know is leg spinner generally don't keep their control and them bowling well can be random at times so if rashid bowling well now england should play him since he might not be bowling well in few months time.
The only leg spinners in the history of the game to actually keep control or bowl well consistently have been Warne and Kumble, the rest have always been hit and miss.

At the moment Rashid making a strong case for an inclusion in the test team.

If he's going to become useless then there is no point picking him at all. As for "the only leg spinners" line, hog wash.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:18 pm

TBH the same thing could be said about Ali.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby Making_Splinters » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:23 pm

Well, I don't think many have made an argument for selecting Ali based on the fact that he's not going to be very good later.

To be honest, I don't think Rashid is ever going to be good enough to be a front line spinner for England in the way Swann or Monty were in recent times. He's coming to the end of his 20s now and is still very much a supporting bowler even domestically, given how long he's been playing you'd have expected him to push on past that by now.
"It was my opinion it is up to me if I want to justify it or not" - Bhaveshgor
Making_Splinters

Team(s) Supported: Cricket - Lancshire , England
Rugby - Sale , England

Postby Dr Cricket » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:31 pm

Making_Splinters wrote:Well, I don't think many have made an argument for selecting Ali based on the fact that he's not going to be very good later.

To be honest, I don't think Rashid is ever going to be good enough to be a front line spinner for England in the way Swann or Monty were in recent times. He's coming to the end of his 20s now and is still very much a supporting bowler even domestically, given how long he's been playing you'd have expected him to push on past that by now.

true although at the moment think Rashid done enough to be the number 1 spinner.
England really do need to find some spinners considering not sure both of them are international quality really.

1 Cricket Major
2019 IPL Season.

Dr Cricket

Postby bigfluffylemon » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:04 am

On to Pakistan. They should provide a sterner test, with Amir back in the side and an England batting line-up that is shaky at best.

On the other hand, every England-Pakistan series has gone with home advantage since 2001, when Pakistan drew in England, and 2000 when England managed to snatch a win in the fading light in Karachi. Pakistan haven't won in England since 1996, when the Pakistan bowling line-up included Wasim and Waqar in their pomp and Mushaq Ahmed had a stunner as well. Plus England were crap then.
2022 Big Bash League FL
2023 Women's T20 World Cup FL
bigfluffylemon

Team(s) Supported: England. Australia.
Any team playing good cricket in the right spirit.

Postby hopeforthebest » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:12 am

If England want to have any hope of success this coming winter they are are going to need to cast their net far wider for spin bowlers than hitherto. Moeen and Rashid are not going to spin England to victory in India. Warne joked that Panesar bowled the same delivery 6 times an over which was not entirely true but it's certainly true of Moeen and Rashid appears not to have a stock delivery just a bag of variations which are OK in one day cricket.
Work expands to fill the time available, so why do today what can be put off until tomorrow.

2017 West Indies v Pakistan ODI FL Guru
2016 Bangladesh v England Combined FL Guru
2016 India v New Zealand ODI FL Guru
2015 India v South Africa ODI FL guru.
2013 Ashes fantasy prediction guru
2013 NZ in England combined FL guru.
hopeforthebest

Team(s) Supported: Warwickshire and England

Postby The Professor » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:06 am

Seems Tymal Mills acquitted himself quite well....shame there isn't another T20 until September.
"It has been said of the unseen army of the dead, on their everlasting march, that when they are passing a rural cricket ground the Englishman falls out of the ranks for a moment to look over the gate and smile."
The Professor

Team(s) Supported: England
Kent

Postby andy » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:34 am

Good to see Tymal Mills make his debut, a very promising quick before his injury issues arose... May be intresting to see what happens to Topley and Willey's place in the side, if Mills performs well in the t20 side... Do you need two left arm quicks in the same side? Also Mills will be building back up towards 50 over cricket soon, so hopefully he can kick on..
2012 - ENG vs SA ODI series winner
2013 - US Open golf winner, WI vs PAK winner , ENG vs OZ ODI and T20 winner
2015- Open golf championship winner
2017 - OZ vs Pak odi'S, AUS vs NZ ODI, NZ vs SA Tests , WI vs PAK tests
2018 - NZ vs Pak t20 FL winner2018 - SA vs Ind test match fl winner US open golf FL [color=#0000FF] - [color=#FF0000]Open golf FL winner

Essex CCC county champions
andy

Team(s) Supported: Essex CCC
West ham united
Sunrisers Hyderberad
England

Postby budgetmeansbudget » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:01 am

Shite, forgot it was on!
budgetmeansbudget

Team(s) Supported: Hampshire CCC
AFC Bournemouth